British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/does-anyone-have-any-useful-tips-bits-advice-those-us-moving-aus-607142/)

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 5th 2009 8:58 am

Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine (Post 7542163)
Should have also mentioned we are originally from SA and still have our accents :D

Is that SA South Australia or SA South Africa?

EverydaySunshine May 5th 2009 8:59 am

Re: Does anyone have any useful tips or bits of advice for those of us moving to Aus?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 7542179)
Is that SA South Australia or SA South Africa?

SA South Africa. :rofl:

Darren-Debbie May 5th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7541086)
I agree with the over 80. If it's 80 or less then there's no requirement to keep left.

The road to Philip Island has parts that are 4 lanes (2 in each direction) but is a single carriageway. The keep left rule applies there even though it's not a dual carriageway.

PS: When I said rural roads earlier I meant rural dual carriageways. I made the assumption that it was obvious that you need 2 lanes on one side in order to keep left. I can see that was a bad assumption.

or just put a "GB" sticker on the back of your car and drive in whatever lane takes your fancy, but be prepared to be called some form of Pomme

renth May 5th 2009 9:28 am

If you are going to rent a house don't rent of an Italian or Greek landlord.

EverydaySunshine May 5th 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7542229)
If you are going to rent a house don't rent of an Italian or Greek landlord.

Thanks for replying. What is the problem with Italian and Greek landlords? We will most likely end up in rented somewhere but will definitely keep this in mind.

stalybridge May 5th 2009 12:02 pm

ignore a lot of the above advice :D

If youve got a few bob, forget the shipping and buy new stuff, shipping costs an arm and a leg and you have to wait for it all.

Come here with an open mind, be freindly to all and give everyone a smile, have a positive attitude and you will love it here, decide to moan about stuff and bitch and you'll end up hating it..

Its a great lifestyle here..

and finally, Queensland is best :rofl:

JackTheLad May 5th 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 7541072)
Sorry to disagree with you a dual carriageway is the only road you can keep left on and its law whether there is a sign or not if you are travelling at over 80km an hour.

Problem is in Australia, left lanes suddenly disappear and you are given about 70 metres warning to merge in to the right lane.

In the UK, those stupid disappearing lanes are always over on the right hand side for the speeding hoons who want to over take everyone at the lights.

Seriously driving in Australia, stick to the middle lane. And don't get annoyed by people undertaking because a) its not illegal here, and b) they are the arseholes, not you.

JTL

arkon May 5th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine (Post 7540671)
Hi all,

We only have a few more months left here... Although we have done quite a bit of research concerning our move I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or advice for those of us making the move over the pond later this year?

I'm sitting here and I know that I can't possibly know everything but if you have learnt anything along the way with the whole process or if you have been given invaluable advice please, please share :D

Thanks,
ES

My tip is don't do it. If you do then make sure you keep your house and job and friends back home and come here only on an extra long visit. Try and get a 6 months unpaid leave or something and try before you buy.

EverydaySunshine May 5th 2009 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 7542662)
My tip is don't do it. If you do then make sure you keep your house and job and friends back home and come here only on an extra long visit. Try and get a 6 months unpaid leave or something and try before you buy.

Now that is not what I was expecting. Thing is we have more acquaintances here than we do friends so not a great loss and our house well we are hoping to sell it. As for the job my husband has been working almost 50 hours a week for almost 4 years 2 make ends meet. It's not an ideal situation and we have no family time at all :thumbdown:, the little ones aren't going to be little forever and he's missing out on a lot of it. I know that it isn't go to be a bed of roses but coming from Africa we may fit just a little better that side of the world. Another bonus is that Aus has sunshine almost on a daily basis. If you have had a bad experience with your move then why tell someone else not to do it?:(

arkon May 5th 2009 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine (Post 7542925)
Now that is not what I was expecting. Thing is we have more acquaintances here than we do friends so not a great loss and our house well we are hoping to sell it. As for the job my husband has been working almost 50 hours a week for almost 4 years 2 make ends meet. It's not an ideal situation and we have no family time at all :thumbdown:, the little ones aren't going to be little forever and he's missing out on a lot of it. I know that it isn't go to be a bed of roses but coming from Africa we may fit just a little better that side of the world. Another bonus is that Aus has sunshine almost on a daily basis. If you have had a bad experience with your move then why tell someone else not to do it?:(

I'm not saying don't do it, more if you are going to do it, try it first if at all possible. I wish I had.

MartinLuther May 5th 2009 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 7542645)
Problem is in Australia, left lanes suddenly disappear and you are given about 70 metres warning to merge in to the right lane.

In the UK, those stupid disappearing lanes are always over on the right hand side for the speeding hoons who want to over take everyone at the lights.

Seriously driving in Australia, stick to the middle lane. And don't get annoyed by people undertaking because a) its not illegal here, and b) they are the arseholes, not you.

JTL

Except in UK towns where the disappearing lane is usually on the left. I'm not sure why they make it different between town and country? (I do know but I thought I'd go rhetorical.)

Also the person sitting in the right hand lane is always the biggest arsehole (in either country).

jond May 5th 2009 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7541035)
Don't buy Talon, Ryobi or GMC tools unless you want to have a short relationship with them. Buy Stihl or Husqvarna :thumbup:

Depends what you want them for and how much you will use them.

GMC have now gone bust, Talon is ok if you have an average sized garden, I have a whipper snipper (strimmer to those still in the UK) and it hasn't missed a beat.

If you want serious tools and can afford them then I agree with Stihl or Husky, but it can be a bit of a waste if they sit in the shed and only get used once a year.

Possums May 5th 2009 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by stalybridge (Post 7542620)
ignore a lot of the above advice :D

If youve got a few bob, forget the shipping and buy new stuff, shipping costs an arm and a leg and you have to wait for it all.

Come here with an open mind, be freindly to all and give everyone a smile, have a positive attitude and you will love it here, decide to moan about stuff and bitch and you'll end up hating it..

Its a great lifestyle here..

and finally, Queensland is best :rofl:

if you've got a few bob then you already own nice things why would you get rid of them? ;)

MartinLuther May 5th 2009 10:37 pm

Obviously it depends on how much you're moving but if you've already got the container then it doesn't cost much to chuck everything in. You're not going to get very far furnishing your house for what you save in removal costs.

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 5th 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine (Post 7542181)
SA South Africa. :rofl:

If you are black African then there are large parts of Australia where you will stand out like sore thumbs. You may not face any discrimination because of it, but be aware that blending in with the crowd will not be an option.