Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Originally Posted by Weebie
all professional jobs are done by agencies in Australia and especielly Perth
Totally incorrect. I just got a new job which I applied for direct with the firm and my first job here was the same. In fact I would say its the opposite - firms prefer you to approach them direct a lot of the time. Means they dont have to pay recruitment morons 10k or whatever.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:41 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Recruitment agencies in Perth, Australia, are the same as recruitment agencies in the UK.

They are not interested in general enquiries about jobs/work as this does not earn them any commission. If you go to an agency you must do so with a specific job that has been advertised through them.

From my experience all agencies are keen to have you on their books. They will invite you in for an initial chat to get your details and to review your CV and to discuss job opportunities.

Put yourself in their shoes. They have a limited amount of time and have to use that to earn commission.

You have to keep looking on the internet for jobs and then contact the recruitment agency . Don't rely on them to phone you.

Again recruitment agencies haven't got time to ring people on a weekly/monthly basis to say 'we're still thinking of you but there aren't any jobs that match your skills'.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by dogscogs
One of the agents who was blatantly screening my calls for the other actually started taking the piss out of my English accent on the phone!

The whole process made me feel quite despondent and raised some self doubt over my capability to be honest.

Never did get his name .... I quite fancied nipping over to his office to have a quick "chat" once I arrived. I figured that might not be the best start however ;-)
Don't worry about it. They are rude for making fun of your accent. Most of these recruitment agents are the sort without any decent qualifications or skills and people who can't get a decent job if they tried. Certain types are attracted (most probably limited) to certain jobs like flies to turd (which is actually a very accurate way of describing these people and their recruitment 'jobs'. They are just like car salesman, if they can get a decent job do you think they would want to sell cars? I don't think so! Nobody grows up with an aspiration to be a recruitment agent or a car salesman

Last edited by looky; Sep 11th 2009 at 7:50 am.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thank you for the reply. I was asked by an agency to expand my CV to include reasons for joining and leaving each role in the UK and the size and turnover of each companies that I work for.

I have a question here, is it really necessary to explain on CV reason for leaving? Somebody was saying to me that putting in more than 3 pages, and employers would not be bothered. Is that the case?

I acknowledge that Australia is a different market than the UK, and therefore CV should be Australianise. But then again, is there any website to help with preparing CV for the Australian market?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:00 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
I arrived in Perth 4 days ago and have been looking the papers but none seem to advertise for the oil and gas industry.

So, where do I go from here?
It doesn't sound like you arrived in Perth with much of a plan.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:31 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for the reply. I was asked by an agency to expand my CV to include reasons for joining and leaving each role in the UK and the size and turnover of each companies that I work for.

I have a question here, is it really necessary to explain on CV reason for leaving? Somebody was saying to me that putting in more than 3 pages, and employers would not be bothered. Is that the case?

I acknowledge that Australia is a different market than the UK, and therefore CV should be Australianise. But then again, is there any website to help with preparing CV for the Australian market?
You don't need top Australianise your CV for the Australian market. A good CV is a good CV whether it be in the UK or Australia. I signed up with loads of agencies in Perth and not one said it needed changing.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

If you signed up with load of agencies, did you get any response or did they set up at interview? I am not sure whether to edit my CV for teh Australian job market is the thign to do, it is something I read in an article in the Australia & New Zealan magazine some time ago.

Mecheng, I came to Perth with a plan, get tax file number, registered with Medicare, look for place to live and get job. Of course, it won't happen in a single day, but have done the first two.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:23 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

I am in the UK.

I have not altered my CV to suit anyone, anywhere.

I have had contact with several agencies.

I have had Telephone interviews with an Agency.

I am awaiting a telephone interview with a prospective employer which has been arranged by an agency.

I have found no reasons to complain about any of the agencies that I have had dealings with, they have all been professional, the have all explained the process, the have all explained any reasons for being unsuccessful, they have all advised me on how to progress, they have all arranged to contact me at a time that was convenient to me.

Maybe it's the Person applying and not the agent that is the problem.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:13 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Mecheng, I came to Perth with a plan, get tax file number, registered with Medicare, look for place to live and get job. Of course, it won't happen in a single day, but have done the first two.
I am not saying it will happen in a single day but based on the questions you are asking, the impression you're giving me is that you didn't have much of a plan. Surely you would have contacted numerous agencies prior to your departure from the UK. I know they don't give you the time of day until you get over to Oz but you do get some idea after speaking with a few of them what the situation is. Did you try targeting any companies prior to departing? I sincerely wish you all the best but preparation is key in a move like this, well, for me anyway. Good luck anyhow and I hope it all works out.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:11 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

I had a very poor response from agencies in general whilst I was still in the UK. After landing, I had set up meetings with 4 different agencies within the first couple of days and I've been in touch by phone and e-mail with many more besides. Physically being here will be the single biggest thing you can do you get a better response. All of agencies I've dealt with seem to be quite genuine and I've now, having been here for just 2 weeks, got 2 live interview prospects being lined up.

You have to understand the nature of what agencies do and how they work. If they have an opportunity to place you, they will act on it and move things forward - this is how they make money. Despite you having a strong resume, you should expect to receive little or no interest from any given agency until there is an opportunity for them to make money from you. Don't be put off by this, it's the very nature of the business model.

There are good and bad agents - this is true everywhere you go (although I'd have to say that there are more bad apples operating the London market). The bigger names (Hays, Michale Page, Peoplebank, Robert Walters, etc.) will all behave themselves but if there are no live roles that meet your requirements and/or match your skills then there's really nothing you or they can do.

- CDM
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:10 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Agencies are usually full of blood sucking time wasting leeches, they will tell you exactly what you want to hear to keep you hanging on for as long as possible, there are some good ones that actually have scruples but you won't know until you've dealt with them unless you know someone with expreience of them.

I would go the direct route where possible, and if you do go with an agent, take what they say with a pinch of salt until you get a contract in your hand

I'm not bitter though

Last edited by stevenglish; Sep 14th 2009 at 11:12 am.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of Australian websites with info on 'australianising' your CV e.g. careerone, and plenty of templates and sample resumes (I spent weeks trawling them when I first arrived!). The main difference is that Australian CVs put more emphasis on evidence to demonstrate specific skills, rather than just dry lists of where you worked and when.

You can certainly get good insight into how to structure you resume but I think the absolute best person to write the content is yourself. Likewise, I think that you're better applying directly for jobs yourself and forget recruitment agencies. I read somewhere that the best person to 'sell' you is yourself and that's so true.

Incidentally, I oversaw receipt of over 100 resumes for a position at my first job here, and the amount of cut and paste plagiarising from online CVs was so blatant it was farcical. But I'm sure that's a global problem for all employers these days.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:36 pm
can't lose the tie

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I'm not bitter though
No, not at all.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:38 pm
can't lose the tie

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Incidentally, I oversaw receipt of over 100 resumes for a position at my first job here, and the amount of cut and paste plagiarising from online CVs was so blatant it was farcical. But I'm sure that's a global problem for all employers these days.
You'd think people would be smart enough to know that everyone also has access to the same site you plagiarised the information. Maybe they thought that no one else would do it so they'd be fine.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mecheng
You'd think people would be smart enough to know that everyone also has access to the same site you plagiarised the information. Maybe they thought that no one else would do it so they'd be fine.
How can you cut someone else's experience? That's pretty much all that my cv has on it now, all the jobs and contracts i've held, anything over 2 pages and a future employer can't be bothered to read it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.