Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

As per title above, does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies in Perth?

I am due to arrive in Perth on 6 September but feel like getting the cold shoulder and had the impression that they could not be bothered to talk to anybody.

Is job had to come by in Perth and WA?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
As per title above, does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies in Perth?

I am due to arrive in Perth on 6 September but feel like getting the cold shoulder and had the impression that they could not be bothered to talk to anybody.

They can't be bothered to talk to you because you are in another country and not available for interviews or work.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, casn't speak about Perth, but attitudes over here are very laid back, nobody is very dynamic! probably be a good thing to turn up in person when you get here, and send your CV out to whoever you can think of Good Luck!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped applying for jobs that were advertised via an agency ages ago. Just my opinion but they are absolutely useless. I am IN Australia and most of the time didn't get any acknowledgment of my application, let alone a thorough reply.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:18 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
I stopped applying for jobs that were advertised via an agency ages ago. Just my opinion but they are absolutely useless. I am IN Australia and most of the time didn't get any acknowledgment of my application, let alone a thorough reply.
agreed.

I applied for the same job through two different agencies without realising. One of the agencies got back to me and I went through the usual rigmorole, anyway I got the job. The other agency got back to me about 2 weeks after I got offered the job (which was about 2.5 months after initial application) telling me that my skills were not suitable for the position.
I replied to them and told them that I was actually the successful applicant and that maybe if they had bothered to review my CV and submitted it to the employer that they would have earned some commission off me.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I replied to them and told them that I was actually the successful applicant and that maybe if they had bothered to review my CV and submitted it to the employer that they would have earned some commission off me.
w*****rs!!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I applied for the same job through two different agencies without realising. One of the agencies got back to me and I went through the usual rigmorole, anyway I got the job. The other agency got back to me about 2 weeks after I got offered the job (which was about 2.5 months after initial application) telling me that my skills were not suitable for the position.
That's friggin priceless!!!
yet somehow, not very surprising
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

I have never used recruitment firms in the UK so can't make a comparison but they are dreadful over here.

Unless you can very quickly make them money they have no interest in spending any time with you. I recently did interviews at my work and of the 20 CV's we received from agencies, about 7 of the cover sheets attached to CV's (written by the agencies) had spelling mistakes and bad formatting etc.

Basically they spoiled CV's that the applicants had put effort into.

Don't use them unless you have to. Apply to firms direct.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thanks for letting me know. In the UK, companies use recruitment agencies as a gatekeeper for any vacancy that they have. In other words, any vacancy is advertised through agencies.

Is that the case in Australia? It sounds like a good suggestion to apply direct, but I have never been to Australia.

Oh, can people tell me about list of things to do during the first month, apart from looking for accommodation, job, tax file number?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on websites such as seek.com.au you will see that although some vacancies are advertised by agencies, there are still a fair few companies who advertise the vacancies themselves. They are the ones I would start with. Failing that, look in the White Pages for the type of company you want to work for and contact them direct.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:10 am
Life is for living

Mamma Minty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaungchiau

what type of work are you after, cos I can definitely recommend a good IT one
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:12 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

If there are positions available at the prospective companies you are targeting then apply direct. If not then agencies are useful but the difficulty is finding a good one. My only advice is to contact agencies that are actually advertising positions as some could be simply phishing for CV's. I wouldn't send your CV through without giving an agency a call first and finding out more about the position/s on offer.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:35 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mamma Minty
what type of work are you after, cos I can definitely recommend a good IT one
I'm also an IT contractor and just about to make my way to Melbourne (literally in a couple of days). I've had a few e-mail exchanges with some agencies but I'm curious as to whether it works the same way in Oz as it does here in the UK.

I'd definitely be interested in any useful IT agency information you might have.

- CDM
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
agreed.

Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone had any problem with recruitment agencies?

Completely useless, try applying direct to companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.