Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone fly Quantas?

Does anyone fly Quantas?

Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:00 am
Just Joined

suzy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone fly Quantas?

It seemed the most obvious choice to us but very few on here seem to fly with Quantas. How do they rate in terms of service, price, space, etc?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:03 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone fly Quantas?

Use the search facility on here and type in 'Qantas'. There's loads of threads about them, usually not very good!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Qantas are a good airline I've found when I've flown with them. Its just that the partnership with BA and the higher pricing than the asian airlines makes them a less obvious choice in the main. Emirates seem to have a godlike mythology surrounding them on this forum, and undeservedly I believe having taken several flights with them and Singapore has some good rep, and usually quite well deserved.

I think ultimately in economy your pretty much going to enjoy a measly 32" of leg room (34" for malaysian) for a very long time, no matter what the airline. A handful of passengers on any flight are going to have crappy experiences (lost luggage etc) and some wont like the food of the carrier.

Really - I think that among Qantas, BA, SIA, Emirates, Malaysian, JAL and Virgin etc its all pretty much the same cattle class all round and its all just pot luck from there on in.

Curiously one interesting carrier choice which never gets a mention on here is Eva Air (Taiwan airline) who fly the Longon to Australia route and have a good evergreen class which is a premium economy product with a 38" pitch and more recline for not much more money than economy really. Worth knowing about if you hate the thought of the flight in cattle but dont want to stretch to a full business fare.

Although virgin are offering a new revamped premium economy product as well as SIA too.

Personally though, I'd be happy to travel and have flown with Qantas.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually Qantas are a good airline I've found when I've flown with them. Its just that the partnership with BA and the higher pricing than the asian airlines makes them a less obvious choice in the main. Emirates seem to have a godlike mythology surrounding them on this forum, and undeservedly I believe having taken several flights with them and Singapore has some good rep, and usually quite well deserved.

I think ultimately in economy your pretty much going to enjoy a measly 32" of leg room (34" for malaysian) for a very long time, no matter what the airline. A handful of passengers on any flight are going to have crappy experiences (lost luggage etc) and some wont like the food of the carrier.

Really - I think that among Qantas, BA, SIA, Emirates, Malaysian, JAL and Virgin etc its all pretty much the same cattle class all round and its all just pot luck from there on in.

Curiously one interesting carrier choice which never gets a mention on here is Eva Air (Taiwan airline) who fly the Longon to Australia route and have a good evergreen class which is a premium economy product with a 38" pitch and more recline for not much more money than economy really. Worth knowing about if you hate the thought of the flight in cattle but dont want to stretch to a full business fare.

Although virgin are offering a new revamped premium economy product as well as SIA too.

Personally though, I'd be happy to travel and have flown with Qantas.
I flew with them in October. Bloody marvelous flight. the plane was almost empty........not sure why...........so I took myself off down the back of the plane and sprawled out across 4 seats...........and slept all the way to Heathrow!!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Ive flown with them twice now to OZ and can highly recommend them.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzy1
It seemed the most obvious choice to us but very few on here seem to fly with Quantas. How do they rate in terms of service, price, space, etc?
FWIW: They seem to be one of the very few airlines who have NEVER had any fatal accidents

(according to http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/a...Qantas+Airways)

For me, this is a very big plus, but hey! you may be less neurotic about flying than yours truly.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
FWIW: They seem to be one of the very few airlines who have NEVER had any fatal accidents

For me, this is a very big plus, but hey! you may be less neurotic about flying than yours truly.
All airlines have crashed at one time or another. That doesn't mean that they are not safe.
Quantas.
Quantas?
Quantas never crashed.
Quantas? - Never crashed. Well, that's...
Never crashed.
That's gonna do me a lot of good. Quantas doesn't fly to L.A. out of Cincinnati. You have got to get to Melbourne... - Australia. in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles. Do you hear me?
Canberra's the capital. 16.2 million population.
Let's go.
Very lovely beaches.
We're getting on this plane!

Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
All airlines have crashed at one time or another. That doesn't mean that they are not safe.
Quantas.
Quantas?
Quantas never crashed.
Quantas? - Never crashed. Well, that's...
Never crashed.
That's gonna do me a lot of good. Quantas doesn't fly to L.A. out of Cincinnati. You have got to get to Melbourne... - Australia. in order to get the plane that flies to Los Angeles. Do you hear me?
Canberra's the capital. 16.2 million population.
Let's go.
Very lovely beaches.
We're getting on this plane!

Didn't Dustin win the Oscar for that role?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:25 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

We have flown with Qantas a number of times, always great. We are flying with them again on 25th April ONE WAY

Kate
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Quantas code share with BA so you often don't know who you are going to get. I would actually pay extra not to fly with BA as they are so rude and unhelpful, luckily though they always seem to be more expensive than Singpore Airlines (friendly, helpful, great with kids) so it's a no brainer
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:52 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the thread about our experiences with Qantas - we have received compensation.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

Buzzy
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Quantas code share with BA so you often don't know who you are going to get. I would actually pay extra not to fly with BA as they are so rude and unhelpful, luckily though they always seem to be more expensive than Singpore Airlines (friendly, helpful, great with kids) so it's a no brainer
We’ve flown Quantas & they were fine, the only trouble is you risk getting a BA plane on one of the legs (old aircraft, surley staff). The best airline I’ve found is Singapore.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Quantas code share with BA so you often don't know who you are going to get.
Codeshare flights tend to have 4 digit flight numbers, ones operated by the airline themselves tend to have 3. eg BA123 is likely an actual BA flight, BA4123 - that would be a codeshare.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat

. Was going to fly Quantas,but I think you gone and tempted fate now.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

We flew BA/Quantas for our reccie last month. No kids in tow so cant comment on service if you have children. Our main bug bear was that we missed our onward flight from Sydney to Brisbane. We were informed at checkin in Glasgow that our bags would be right through to Brisbane. Lo and behold when we landed in Sydney to change flights we had collect our suitcases and go through customs/quarantine(glad we didnt have the 40kg baggage allowances). The queues were huge and we didnt have enough time to make our onward flight. Beware - if you have a connecting flight from Melbourne or Sydney to somewhere else in OZ leave plenty of time to collect your bags and clear customs. And bear in mind the BA staff in Glasgow will assure you that your bags are straight through but they are not.
The only other complaint we had was that BA do not have on demand movies. The films start and finish at specific times. Quantas on the other hand had demand movies where you could pause/fast fwd etc - much better.

I have just today booked our one way flights for 26th June - and not with BA.

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.