Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Originally Posted by Trevski
we are paying $2.95 for a iceberg lettuce while in uk you can buy it for £0.78 which is approx $1.25,
I'm getting deja-vu!!!

BB
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:05 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Up until we got our visas we were full steam ahead to go. Then the visas were issued and the reality of our situation dawned. We were settled, kids in decent schools, house comfortably moving closer to being paid off, secure jobs, etc. Then the exchange rate crashed. So we put it off. But this has been a loooong time dream to move down under. When it sunk in what we'd decided and the implications to the kids who are quickly moving through their teens, we realised that if we don't move now it might never happen. So we changed our minds and are heading out there shortly. But we still have our doubts and fears and are still wondering if we're doing the right thing. But much of our hesitation has been cancelled out by the looming austerity measures and how they could impact on our kids. So, there's no looking back, the die is cast, we are doing it!

I hope those of you who are still struggling with this decision can soon find the peace of making a decision that's right for you, your families and your individual circumstances. Good luck!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devonshiredumpling
Barb, poor you. Your situation is my biggest fear - moving my young children to Oz and then wanting to move back to UK when I am older and they want to stay in Australia.
It is a truly horrible position to be in DD believe me, I have all my family in the UK mother, 2 sisters, 1 brother assorted husbands, wives, nieces, nephews, cousins etc. Say about 30 people over there to call my family.

I came here with my (now ex) husband and our 2 kids in 1981 or 1982, can't remember now, anyway none of the family emigrated over here like I hoped they would in my young, foolish days. So I am here now on my own.....my daughter and son are both grown up, my daughter has 2 kids of her own..... she lives an hour away from me, I couldn't get a job where she lives when I got back so have had to move nearer to the job I did get, my son lives about a 6 hour drive away.......and I get on Facebook or receive emails from my UK family all doing "stuff" and I am not there to share......I so regret taking my kids away from their family, aunties, uncles, cousins, grand-parents, etc. They have missed out on so much of a "normal" childhood and I can't even blame my ex husband because it was me that wanted to come out here for the adventure and the great weather, funny thing is I can't stand the summer, can't bear that unbearable searing heat and I can't go out in it much anyway as I fry up like crispy bacon!!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devonshiredumpling
You've completely summed up my feelings. When we first applied for our visa things were broke. However now things are different. I live in a nice village near a very supportive family, 10 mins from the beach, my job is fairly well paid and is only a 10 min drive away and the kids go to a great school (I could go on, there's more!). So why move now?? The thing is the thought of staying here for the rest of my life seems boring! I want an adventure, but is that enough to warrant the cost and hassle of moving to Oz? Having lived there before I know the grass is not always greener!

So where to go from here? My present mood thinks I should stay but give it a few days and I'll be back surfing the net for a job in Sydney

How great is this forum! It's nice to know I'm not alone.
I think you should get your car out or take a train trip or even a coach trip and get out there and see just how goddamn BEAUTIFUL a country you live in like the Lake District, The Cotswolds, Somerset, DEVON, Wales, Scotland.....all that diversity, not hundreds and hundreds of miles of bush........
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by quoll
OMG, have you been reading my mind or something?!!!! I havent had the GAP year but I have regular visits so that I can feel alive again for a little while. Every return to the a*se end of the universe breaks my heart just that little bit more each time.
Yes Quoll, I can see into your mind........... It bears an uncanny resemblance to mine!!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I can't speak for anybody else, but if I was like that it would mean it was the wrong decision...........if it is right it should be right
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We're doing it come what may (too late to change our minds now ) but everything seems to be conspiring against us.

...Stand by for a white knuckle ride!

Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

A relevant thread. Just logged back on here for the first time since April 2009 apparantly.

Lived in Sydney for a few months back in 206. Came home and never felt settled. Always felt we should have stayed. Started looking into going back and were convinced it was the right thing to do. Eventually thoughts of leaving ageing parents behind got the better of us and we dropped it all. Just bought a house one month ago then out of the blue got a call from the wife's former place of work offering her a job.

The salary is a good 35% higher than what she is on now and it's a role she loved with good prospects. She despises the job she's in now and there isn't much more she can do. Risk being how long we'd wait for me to get work but average wage in Sydney in my profession is probably 40% higher than what I'm on now and there's not much room for me to earn a lot more here.

Can't help thinking we'd be better off going for it. If it all goes wrong we tried but it's better than having regrets about not trying isn't it?

No kids yet so the only responsibilities are financial. But at least we'd always have the house to come back to.

Making this decision is making me ill!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:18 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We're doing it come what may (too late to change our minds now ) but everything seems to be conspiring against us.

...Stand by for a white knuckle ride!

You'll be fine
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

wanderer1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been back in the UK for 4 months and still feel in limbo land. Just can't seem to make the decison even thou it's the first thing on my mind when I wake up, the last thing on my mind when I go to sleep and constantly on my mind all day .
Need to make decision as the oldest will start senior school in Feb in Oz and Sept in UK and ideally didn't want to move him again...
Any advice welcome .
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
All i can say is stay in UK for now as the housing and cost of living is crap,housing has fallen and people want to rent not own, cost of food, elec etc is going sky wards with no control or care from goverment, wages are not going up like the cost of living, we have less money in our pockets each week,WEATHER is not everything.
You have more choice in uk,Australia is on a knife edge, it could go either way ie into big dept and recession or get better, i say the first will happen in a year or two
Im in Brisbane and been here for five years and we are talking and looking at moving back to uk due to the cost of living.
We can rent our two storey home for $560 a week and that works out at $29120 per year which today in UK terms is approx £17650. You can rent a very big house in Uk for £1000 per month which will be £12000 per year, so as you can see what we are thinking is we can rent our home in OZ, return to UK and rent then we will have money left over (£5500)
Don't panic!

Stay in the UK if you love placing the rest of sentences immediately past commas...and have a nice line in sensationalism - just kidding..