Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone do fishing on here?

Does anyone do fishing on here?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Does anyone do fishing on here?

Is it diffiult to learn to fish?

I've been watching a couple of men for quite a while now, who fish on an evening when the tide is coming in.. Just stick their rods in the sand, take a seat and wait... It looks really peaceful to me, I would love to have a go... Is it difficult? Do they have fishing night classes? Are those thigh length wellies optional? Do they really have fishing classes?

My grandad used to take me fishing when I was little, but I never paid any attention... It was, back then, the entertainment equivalent of the 'Reader's Digest', except for the 'Laughter is the Best Medicine' bit which I secretly liked...

Bob
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone do fishing on here?

Originally Posted by honeybob

I've been watching a couple of men for quite a while now, who fish on an evening when the tide is coming in.. Just stick their rods in the sand, take a seat and wait... It looks really peaceful to me, I would love to have a go... Is it difficult? Do they have fishing night classes? Are those thigh length wellies optional? Do they really have fishing classes?

My grandad used to take me fishing when I was little, but I never paid any attention... It was, back then, the entertainment equivalent of the 'Reader's Digest', except for the 'Laughter is the Best Medicine' bit which I secretly liked...

Bob
Wot, no fishermen/women?

Any folks here know how Aussie sea fishing compares to British sea fishing?

Good to see you around these parts Honeybob. Good luck with you request for info.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Wot, no fishermen/women?

Any folks here know how Aussie sea fishing compares to British sea fishing?

Good to see you around these parts Honeybob. Good luck with you request for info.
Cheers there Tony, good to hear from you....

It looks like I'll be the head case just chucking my line into the sea... Or I might just have a glass of wine and befriend those two men at the beach... Why not? They can only say bugger off... Shy bairns get nowt...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers there Tony, good to hear from you....

It looks like I'll be the head case just chucking my line into the sea... Or I might just have a glass of wine and befriend those two men at the beach... Why not? They can only say bugger off... Shy bairns get nowt...
Too true...apart from the bit about being a head case of course....

Might even be the best way to learn!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:00 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Bob
Both Andrew and I fish. Like you say it is very peaceful and when you get a bite, the blood pumps through your veins and makes you feel all happy. Well that's what it does to me, lol.
I used to fish with my grandad when I was little but was never allowed to bait the hook. Things have changed a little, I'm allowed to bait my own hook now but I refuse to use rag worm. I'm still not allowed to cast though, . I think it is something to do with me being blonde and a bit scatty, lol or it may be because I always end up with a birds nest on the end of my rod. The best bit is definitely the that you have to drink whilst fishing.
Fishermen/women are all very friendly, the best way to learn is to go and have a chat. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:05 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teach
Both Andrew and I fish. Like you say it is very peaceful and when you get a bite, the blood pumps through your veins and makes you feel all happy. Well that's what it does to me, lol.
I used to fish with my grandad when I was little but was never allowed to bait the hook. Things have changed a little, I'm allowed to bait my own hook now but I refuse to use rag worm. I'm still not allowed to cast though, . I think it is something to do with me being blonde and a bit scatty, lol or it may be because I always end up with a birds nest on the end of my rod. The best bit is definitely the that you have to drink whilst fishing.
Fishermen/women are all very friendly, the best way to learn is to go and have a chat. Good luck.
Sarah
LOL, you afraid the Ragworm will bite ya?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:23 pm
Anyone seen my coat???

chopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nice

Bob
There's loads of info and a load of Rubbish about Fishing on the web and in Magazines.
Don't buy new gear there's lots of 2nd hand gear available, dont get a multiplier reel they're a nightmare for learners.
Read some fishing mags for tackle suggestions, just dont go out and buy every bit of up to date tackle, the fish don't know if you've spent a fortune.....Rod, Line, Weight, Hook!!!!! Lob said hook (and bait) out, sit back and wait!!! Easy!!

Ozzies are more fishing friendly, even got descaling/gutting tables for you to use before you go and barbie the Li'l fishies!!

Good luck with it all, pm me if you want any more info.

Cheers'en
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:23 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Bob
no it's not difficult.

Are you a complete novice? can't tie a knot etc?

If you are, buy few beginner books for basic knots etc.I wouldn't waste my money on the glossy fishing magazines, it's cheaper buying some books which you will keep ( glossy fishing mags can be around $10, and a lot of them would be no good for learning how to fish, you can waste hell a lot of money on these mags). Do you get a monthly fishing paper there in Perth? Like here we get Bush N beach , and south east Qld fishing monthly ( which I know they have a Nsw one too). They'd be good reading for you better than half of the glossy mags which most are nation wide. They will have more local fishing articles relevant to your area, tackle tips, what's biting , fishing stories etc.

I'd also recommend Geoff Wilson books ( He's a respected Au fisho) for knots etc. There is one in his range that would be ideal for you if you can't tie fishing knots:
Waterproof Book of Knots - Basic Fishing. His books cost just a couple dollars , $6 etc

there is also a book called" fishing for dummies" in the dummy series . I've never read this book so I don't know how good it is. But I would think that is ideal for the complete beginner, I would think it should show you all the basics, from casting, tying knots . It costs around $10

Both these books you should be able to get in any bookshop The Geoff Wilson books you can pick up in most tackle shops too beside the bookshops

online bookshops for you which stocks them too if you can't find any in your local store .
Search by the author option on the below sites "Geoff wilson", and you'll get the list of books by him for rigging and knots
http://www.collinsbooks.com.au/
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/

A book on common fish species would be good too for you to identify the fishes and not what to touch like a happy moments spines lol. There are plenty of those sort of books about. ranging from a just a few dollars to the sky's your limit, just check out your local bookshop.

If you want a really good one with hundreds of species in it, and don't mind spending out ( this is a good book to keep on your book shelf) "Grant's guide to fishes" it will set you back over a $100 though. You may be able to pick one up second hand though. Be warned it's very heavy - so if your looking at Ebay for a second hand one, check out the postage first.

fishing lessons? ask in your local tackle shop if they know of any, or there may be some adverts in your local fishing paper if you have local fishing papers there, or phone up the fishing clubs in your area and see if they run any.

practice your casting in your garden (with a weight on and no hook of course) to start off with, if you are a bit self conscious of trying it on the beach first time, mind you your neighbours will be entertained

And talk to those two fisho's .
I've been watching a couple of men for quite a while now,
:scared: lol ! -They could be wondering why you are watching them all the time ,for weeks on end- they may think you are bit of weirdo, perv or something lol!

Seriously; They'd probably only be too happy to give you some local advice if you ask them. Most fisho's are quite happy to give you some tips

Good luck

.................................................. ................................

Tonyk38

"How aussie fishing compares with Brit sea fishing"? The same if you're talking about the many different tackle/gear, many ways of rigging etc in both countries, and not fish species etc which of course differs if you know what I mean- how long is a piece of string .
The only new thing I've learnt here is throwing a cast net for my live bait, where I just used to jig for it in the past ( check your state for regulations on this - I know in NSW cast nets are banned, don't know about the other states).

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 3rd 2005 at 3:49 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:38 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulf
LOL, you afraid the Ragworm will bite ya?
Yes and teh fact that they virtually explode all their internal crap all over you. OMG I need a just thinking about it.
Sarah
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

I used to love fishing in the UK, but that was course fishing (i.e. rivers, lakes, ponds, canals, etc). Here in OZ it seems that a lot of people are into fishing but it is all this sea fishing rubbish.

I havent heard of any freshwater lakes in which people fish. I dunno if that is because all the freshwater lakes dry up once a year, or whether course fish haven't been introduced over here or what!

Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and try some sea fishing, but fishing off a beach doesn't inspire me much. Oh well.....
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Husband and i are very inexperienced with fishing except for 2 outings on a mates boat here in NZ. Plus my first ever (and very lucky) fishing attempt on a jetty near Auckland. I just lobbed in a $6 hand line off the edge and 10mins later hooked a fairly large kahwai!! Much to the disgust of several guys with expensive looking gear who had been there all day and caught sweet FA

We are heading to central coast in Aus and really looking forward to attempting some fishing when we get there. I know theres a few lakes up that way but not sure how good they are for fishing.

What i'd REALLY love to do is a bit of kayaking in and out of the lagoons, but as i have never done it before, and i worry i wont squeeze my rather large bottom into one, i'll have to wait and see. lol
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers to everyone about the fishing info.... I'm going to talk to the two men on the beach this weekend and look for some second hand gear just in case I'm a complete maniac, and like it was pointed out, the fish can't tell whats expensive and what's not... Plus I'll practice in the garden!!! No neighbours can see in I think...

I keep asking my patients at work if any of them fish, they just look at me like I'm some crazy pom and start talking about the cricket....