Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody have doubts????

Wikiposts

Does anybody have doubts????

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:43 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Does anybody have doubts????

Hi, I have been reading a lot of threads over the last few days. Me and my hubby are hoping to move to Toowoomba in Queensland next year. I am really excited about going to live in Oz but I also have doubts all of the time. I have different feelings on a daily basis, 1 day I cant wait to go and wish I was there RIGHT NOW!!! but other days I get really emotional and think "Am I doing the right thing? As I have said I have been reading a lot of threads and the all the ones I have read say all positive things and I am just thinking "Am I the only person who has negative thoughts and is it normal?" I worry about leaving my parents and my Goddaughter and I am worried about getting a new job. The spiders scare the bloody life out of me too (cringe)

There was a spider in my kitchen sink this morning that was about the size of a 50p and I nearly jumped out of my skin, but then I have to think "deal with it because they are a lot bigger in Oz"

I am not going to work when we first move there because we will be having a house built and I am going to sort all of that out whilst my hubby earns the pennies and I just hope that I dont become too isolated because I am not meeting new people at work etc

Does anybody else have the same thoughts or is it just me????
Julie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:50 am
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does anybody have doubts????

I do double takes all the time. They are not so much doubts as "Am I doing the right thing for me and the family?". I think it's only natural. If I didn't have any concerns then I would probably think there was something I was missing. No point doing something this big without taking the rose tinted glasses off every once in a while.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Hi, I have been reading a lot of threads over the last few days. Me and my hubby are hoping to move to Toowoomba in Queensland next year. I am really excited about going to live in Oz but I also have doubts all of the time. I have different feelings on a daily basis, 1 day I cant wait to go and wish I was there RIGHT NOW!!! but other days I get really emotional and think "Am I doing the right thing? As I have said I have been reading a lot of threads and the all the ones I have read say all positive things and I am just thinking "Am I the only person who has negative thoughts and is it normal?" I worry about leaving my parents and my Goddaughter and I am worried about getting a new job. The spiders scare the bloody life out of me too (cringe)

There was a spider in my kitchen sink this morning that was about the size of a 50p and I nearly jumped out of my skin, but then I have to think "deal with it because they are a lot bigger in Oz"

I am not going to work when we first move there because we will be having a house built and I am going to sort all of that out whilst my hubby earns the pennies and I just hope that I dont become too isolated because I am not meeting new people at work etc

Julie
Hi julie its normal to feel like this i have days where i think omg what are we doing but i have more days thinking yes its what we all want.

You will be suprised how many have said the same as you about leaving family behind ect but you will find there are ways to keep in touch when you finally get to OZ.

Doing what were doing is a very big step and its bound to make you feel abit unsure now n then but try to think of the positives on why your going thats what i do when im feeling abit scared.

Every step of the way makes it that bit more real and the excitment makes the fears go away for a while

Good luck in your adventure and like i said its normal would be stranger if you didnt have any doubts i think

Debs xx
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

My only reply would be if, it years to come and you didnt move you would keep saying "What If"...my dad had the chance to go in the 50's and didnt...bugged him up until he died.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:53 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Julie

You're not on your own you know. I have doubts most days although not as many as I did when we started off down this road. We are waiting for bond request, house on market and hope to be off to Buderim around Sept. time.

Hubby was really for it originally and I was the one that was a bit worried. Tables have now completely turned and he is worried about giving up his job which he has only been in a year and has turned out to be great. The co. think alot of him (although they might not in a few months!!!!) and he feels really guilty.

We are both going to miss family, I am really close to my mum and dad and I hope that they will in time come over on the parent contrib visa. Fingers crossed. I have one brother here and I will miss him dreadfully but he and his wife have been having probs for three years now and I want to be away from it so that keeps me focused. Is that awful????

Anyway, try and stay on track. Have a when it all gets too much to deal with.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:01 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Hi julie its normal to feel like this i have days where i think omg what are we doing but i have more days thinking yes its what we all want.

You will be suprised how many have said the same as you about leaving family behind ect but you will find there are ways to keep in touch when you finally get to OZ.

Doing what were doing is a very big step and its bound to make you feel abit unsure now n then but try to think of the positives on why your going thats what i do when im feeling abit scared.

Every step of the way makes it that bit more real and the excitment makes the fears go away for a while

Good luck in your adventure and like i said its normal would be stranger if you didnt have any doubts i think

Debs xx
Hi Debs, thanks for the reply, it helps to know it isnt just me that feels this way. We have friends there so I know this will help but I just really worry about my family. We have no children yet but know that when we do that Oz is a better place to do this. I will take your advice and try and think of the positive things.
Thanks again Debs
Julie xx
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:01 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Smile Re: Does anybody have doubts????

Julie
Hi, Julie, join the club. We have our medicals booked for 19th April and so
this dream of ours is becoming all too real. I, like you have days when I think
"am I kidding myself" that I can leave all my friends and family behind, but
then I think about how I would feel if I was suddenly told that we couldn`t
go, and I know that I would be gutted! It have got it a bit easier than
some,as one of my best friends is going to the same part of oz that we are
hoping to go to (she has her visa and is going in Aug,) but I have got the
worry of a 17 year old son who would rather not go, I also have a 14 year
old son who is dead keen, (at the moment!)

So, as you can see the answer to you question is in my opinion that we are
all very normal and I think it would be abnormal if we didn`t worry.

Tracey
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:04 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
I do double takes all the time. They are not so much doubts as "Am I doing the right thing for me and the family?". I think it's only natural. If I didn't have any concerns then I would probably think there was something I was missing. No point doing something this big without taking the rose tinted glasses off every once in a while.
I am so glad I am not alone and I agree with you. The way I am trying to look at it is you only live once so do the best you can. I am trying to be positive but sometimes I slip.

Thanks for your reply it really helps
Julie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:09 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Your definitley NOT the only one, I feel exactly the same, days when you just can't wait to 'Get a New Life' and then I'll read something on here or I'll not be feeling too positive and then I start worrying what if this or that happens.

I have to agree with Steve, I do not want to spend the rest of my life wondering what if, so now I have come to the conclusion I am going for 2 years and make the decision then, it takes the intensity of "forever" out of it.

Take care and best of luck with your new life

Louise
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:10 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Steve2438
My only reply would be if, it years to come and you didnt move you would keep saying "What If"...my dad had the chance to go in the 50's and didnt...bugged him up until he died.
I know, I couldnt agree more. I know that if I didnt do it that I would regret it for the rest of my life. I can only try and hope that it all works out for the best.
Thanks
Julie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:20 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Shelley29
Hi Julie

You're not on your own you know. I have doubts most days although not as many as I did when we started off down this road. We are waiting for bond request, house on market and hope to be off to Buderim around Sept. time.

Hubby was really for it originally and I was the one that was a bit worried. Tables have now completely turned and he is worried about giving up his job which he has only been in a year and has turned out to be great. The co. think alot of him (although they might not in a few months!!!!) and he feels really guilty.

We are both going to miss family, I am really close to my mum and dad and I hope that they will in time come over on the parent contrib visa. Fingers crossed. I have one brother here and I will miss him dreadfully but he and his wife have been having probs for three years now and I want to be away from it so that keeps me focused. Is that awful????

Anyway, try and stay on track. Have a when it all gets too much to deal with.
Hi Shelly29, Thank you soooo much. It is the same for me, my hubby is the one who suggested it but I have more doubts than him at the moment. I am also really close to my mum and dad (who are divorced and re married) and I have 1 brother too and I am going to miss him. You are not awful to say you want to get away, I would be the same as you. I am 25 and hubby is 28 and we would like to have children once we get there so hopefully that will keep me very busy. I will take your advice and I will just drink lots and lots ha ha

Thanks
Julie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:25 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Hi, Julie, join the club. We have our medicals booked for 19th April and so
this dream of ours is becoming all too real. I, like you have days when I think
"am I kidding myself" that I can leave all my friends and family behind, but
then I think about how I would feel if I was suddenly told that we couldn`t
go, and I know that I would be gutted! It have got it a bit easier than
some,as one of my best friends is going to the same part of oz that we are
hoping to go to (she has her visa and is going in Aug,) but I have got the
worry of a 17 year old son who would rather not go, I also have a 14 year
old son who is dead keen, (at the moment!)

So, as you can see the answer to you question is in my opinion that we are
all very normal and I think it would be abnormal if we didn`t worry.

Tracey
Hi Tracey, I also have a friend in Oz and she lives with her hubby and baby in Toowoomba and that is why we have chose to go to that area. I know it will help me to have a friend there and she has been a great support, but I am going to miss all family and friends especially my mum. I am just glad that I am not alone in having negative thoughts and appreciate your help.
Thanks tracey
Julie
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracey, I also have a friend in Oz and she lives with her hubby and baby in Toowoomba and that is why we have chose to go to that area. I know it will help me to have a friend there and she has been a great support, but I am going to miss all family and friends especially my mum. I am just glad that I am not alone in having negative thoughts and appreciate your help.
Thanks tracey
Julie
Hi Julie,

How spooky! We are hoping to go to Toowoomba too although we've never been there. We are going out to validate our visas in July and hope we like it!! Have done quite a lot of research on the area and it sounds like the sort of place we'd like to live. Plan to make the final move in January 2006. The only person we know there is an expat who is a relative of a friend but she has been really helpful. We'll have to keep in touch. When are you planning to go?

Nicola
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
We,ve all had doubts "Petal".And just because you finally get to Aus doesn't mean you will become doubt free.Just different doubts take the place of those you have now or may even add to those you have now.
but hey you are a " deal with it person" so you will be OK.The courage is there it is lurking in the back ground.Your decision But I for one would put money on you.
If you can live in Manchester you can live anywhere...tee hee... i withdraw that remark unreservedly... sorry...its too many bubbles in the non alchoholic house wine I get from Aus Woollies..gotta keep a clear head.. those bloody possums are on the colour bond tin roof again having a romantic interlude and its pouring with rain so i am not going outside at midnight to chase them away. They can get on with it!!! fortunately its not bedtime yet!!!
cheers oldgit
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:56 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Have exactly the same doubts and exactly the same ups and downs.

It's worse when I read a negative post on here - it can affect my mood for the whole day.

Agree with Steve - it would be worse to look back and say "what if?"

Don't forget - it doesn't have to be forever. You can return!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.