Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Hello All!

There seems to be so many negative posts about Australia on this Forum and it seems difficult to find a post that praises it as a good migration destination and a prefered location for living than the UK!
I know from reading Mike Stantons post he lived in Oz for 12 years and came home.

But surely there must be at least one poster here that has moved to Australia and actually liked it and stayed there!?

The reason im asking is because it is one of the places for migration that im interested in and ive read one or two books on Miograting to Australia that make Australia out to be real good and have made me think that it is a safer place to raise kids and have a family with a laid back lifestyle than the UK.
Also all of the Australians I have gotten on with are nice people and seem much friendlier than us Brits!

Am I missing something?

Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Default Sorry!

Opps Sorry!
Posted in wrong Forum by mistake.

Can the Mod move me to the Australia and NZ Forum?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody Actually Prefer Australia to the UK?

Originally posted by VanishingDragon
Hello All!

There seems to be so many negative posts about Australia on this Forum and it seems difficult to find a post that praises it as a good migration destination and a prefered location for living than the UK!
I know from reading Mike Stantons post he lived in Oz for 12 years and came home.

But surely there must be at least one poster here that has moved to Australia and actually liked it and stayed there!?

The reason im asking is because it is one of the places for migration that im interested in and ive read one or two books on Miograting to Australia that make Australia out to be real good and have made me think that it is a safer place to raise kids and have a family with a laid back lifestyle than the UK.
Also all of the Australians I have gotten on with are nice people and seem much friendlier than us Brits!

Am I missing something?

Cheers!
As the aforementioned Mr Stanton...there are many people that enjoy living in Oz and there are even a few that aren't on medication

I suggest that you email or PM the moderator to get this thread moved to the Australia/NZ forum
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:08 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i dont think its a case of people moving here, hating it and returning home.. its more of case of 'what suits your lifestyle' - personally after living here for 5 years im not entirely sure that oz is a safer place than uk...

when reading peoples thoughts about moving to oz from uk i see the same quotes over and over....

small mortagage, big house and pool, safe for kids, more opportunites for every one involved, better lifestyle etc etc

the grass is not greener and you'll have the same problems in oz than you would have anywhere else... of course if you moving from london to perth there will be a dramatic difference in the way you live but you will gain some things and loose somethings.. and it also takes a while to realise that.. the first 6 mths to a year is a novelty... but the novelty does wear off...

coming to oz thinking its going to better all round you could be in for a shock.... once you earn dollars it might not appear so affordable as once thought.....jobs may not come your way as easy as expected.... the culture is different to the UK and depending on how close you are to your friends and family you may find that difficult.....

ive been very fortunate here.. met great friends, always had great well paid jobs etc but ultimatley ive had to take a decision that i want to closer (not nec UK) to family - i cant seem to put my roots down here for life.. i want to be closer to home and also there are better opps for me work wise back home....

you may come and love it but you have to put what people say in this forum into perspective....they are not saying its a terrible place - they have come and tried and after weighing up the positives and negatives have come to the decision to return home....

good luck
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Does anybody prefer OZ to the UK?

Yeah, gawd yeah, some poeple think its paradise on earth, cheap housing, crime free, drug free, free education and health, cheap food, wonderful weather 27 degrees every day, huge cars cheap petrol, politicians that kiss babies and enjoy it, government that gives you low taxes. High wages, cheap living. They will fight to the death to defend OZ.

Then they actually go there

I think your looking for the dreaming of OZ, woops moving to OZ forum

Seriously I am sure many do love it.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I missing something?

Cheers!
No place like home. A lot of people make a success out of themselves here and despite all their best efforts and time they cannot make Oz feel like home. Coming here is a big risk and there is no guarantee you will be better off financially, emotionally and in the lifestyle sense.

I feel sorry for those who lose their place on the UK housing ladder and find themselves stuck here missing their friends and family.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Firstly thanks to Ptlabs who moved my thread!

I am thinking of going in about 3 years time.
I know it is getting harder and harder all the time which is a bit worrying.
I know Australia has a lot of problems that are similar to the UK liek racial problems etc.. so I know the grass is not greener in all ways.

Australia is definately a safer and friendlier place to live and a good place to start and raise a family.

Would you guys agree?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

There are lots of us who love living in Oz Vanishing Dragon, but many of us don't bother posting about it anymore. As you can see, this is the sort of response you get if you DO post anything positive.Many of us go elsewhere for help friendship and support online.

The problem being, these people think that everyone else will feel like they do( yes, i know its ridiculous), and if they don't there is something wrong with them..... sad really, but true.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands...

Oh...i nearly forgot....you are also an inferior class of person if you like it as well
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:25 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been and I already like Aus more than UK !

Seriously though, I've worked and lived abroad before and spent most of my childhood living abroad so I know that there's a better life out there for my family and I. Will it be in Aus ? - who knows - but our future sure ain't in the UK
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Restoring the Force

Hi Podgypossum!

Well thats why I started this thread. To re balance the negativity (restoring the force if you will)that certain posters have been making about Australia.

Please feel free to tell me about your experiences in Australia as they will be most welcome!

To be honest it is my dream to eventually move out there permentely and have a swimming pool in the garden of my house, a barbie every weekend and have warm weather

Catch ya later,
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by EssexNobby
I've never been and I already like Aus more than UK !

Seriously though, I've worked and lived abroad before and spent most of my childhood living abroad so I know that there's a better life out there for my family and I. Will it be in Aus ? - who knows - but our future sure ain't in the UK
Hi,

The UK also gets me down these days, I have travelled around a bit also and so can make comparisions to the UK from.

Australia seems an excellent place to raise a family better education, safer, friendlier and the people are perhaps a little less liberal and more conservative!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Restoring the Force

Hi Podgypossum!

Well thats why I started this thread. To re balance the negativity (restoring the force if you will)that certain posters have been making about Australia.

Please feel free to tell me about your experiences in Australia as they will be most welcome!

To be honest it is my dream to eventually move out there permentely and have a swimming pool in the garden of my house, a barbie every weekend and have warm weather

Catch ya later,

I dont think you realise what dodgy ground you are on..LOL

You are NOT allowed to have your dreams on here...you will be ridiculed and belittled for them, by the "intelligencia" (tongue firmly in cheek)

I'll happily tell you whatever you wish to know, but it will have to wait a while as its 6am here and i have to take husband to work...

Its a real pleasure to find someone that wants to chat, and is interested in successful migrants!!! ...welcome
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
...you will be ridiculed and belittled for them, by the "intelligencia"
Or even the "intelligentsia"...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Or even the "intelligentsia"...

I prefer the Italian spelling myself
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

HOORAH for PP's final comment.

Love this forum when its honest and positive

btw england fighting back in the cricket 15 runs behind although 9 down. Thorpe has got his 100. Perfect excuse to crack a bottle of wine open and celebrate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.