Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anbody miss the british newspapers

does anbody miss the british newspapers

Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:29 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: does anbody miss the british newspapers

Must say don't miss them at all, used to read the Sunday Times but have found Saturday's 'The Age' more than compensates, certainly don't miss the UK tabloids, The Mirror headlines screaming 'The Tories are fascists, The Mail headlines screaming 'Country sinking under weight of asylum seekers' and The Sun headlines screaming 'David Beckham eats breakfast, EXCLUSIVE'

As a confirmed soccer hater there wasn't much point buying any UK paper unless you didn't mind ripping out 2/3 of it and using it as toilet paper, and that was on the days that some retarded overpaid premiership prima donna wasn't drink/driving, caught taking drugs, beating up his girlfriend or bonking his secretary. And as for when big brother was on, a 24 page exclusive in every tabloid on what's was going on in the place.....

Usually keep up to date on UK news via the BBC website which does the job nicely.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:01 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Badge
The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country.
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
The Financial Times is read by people who own the country.
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
And the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think that it is.

Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.

Classic.

Badge
I'm sure that originated in an episode of 'Yes Minister', & was one of Sir Humphrey's pearls of wisdom

Anya.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:04 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I'm sure that originated in an episode of 'Yes Minister', & was one of Sir Humphrey's pearls of wisdom

Anya.
Thought I recognised it, but love it Badge

Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:49 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I am one of the few that misses my copy of the Sun and the news of the world on a Sunday.

Newspapers over here all seem to much like hard work to read theres no scandal and semi naked ladies at all.......very poor show aussie papers!!!

TT

Originally Posted by englishman1969
the sun,the star,daily mirror does anybody miss these any why
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I get all my news from bbc.co.uk now too, but I do miss The Guardian arty farty bits. And OK, I confess to being a closet News of the Screws reader occasionally but only for the ridiculous exposes. I loved the way the undercover 'journalists' always felt the need to tell us that they 'made their excuses and left' And the photo story promblem page was bloody funny too!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by englishman1969
the sun,the star,daily mirror does anybody miss these any why
Not a newspaper I know. But The Tablet is a surprisingly good read. http://www.thetablet.co.uk/

Particularly for those distressed by a lack of "weight". It does not differ that much from the secular press on the most recent big story: the death of the Pope.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss the Uk papers really, but occasionally look online. Since I've got here I've been trying to work out more Aus politics, economy and issues; our home page is "The Australian" and I try and read the local rags to work out what's going on locally. The worldwide weird bit is quite entertaining too! We buy "The West Australian" for houses and job stuff, The Sunday Times has a good section on what to do out here. There is so much new stuff here that I have only really missed the UK news a couple of times, most important stuff you catch briefly on the news, or in the Aus papers.
I prefer delving about on the internet to commiting to one particular paper (we have our reasons for buying The West as mentioned above, but I wouldn't buy it regularly otherwise!) We used to get the Sunday Times or Observer years ago in the UK but I got fed up with the lifestyle supplements, telling you what to eat, where to live and what to wear.
Sometimes the travel stuff is interesting though and buying the newspaper and wading through can feel like a treat in itself.
It's actually quite a relief to get here and not hear anything about The Beckhams, but you get plenty of Paris Hilton, Bec Cartright etc. but it's not in the same league as the British press.