Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anbody miss the british newspapers

does anbody miss the british newspapers

Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anbody miss the british newspapers

Originally Posted by chocaholic
When I went back to the UK on holiday, I just couldn't get back into any of these papers - I didn't know any of the personalities they were gossiping about. I suppose the Independent and The Times were OK. In OZ I started out with the SMH until it really annoyed me and currently like the Australian or Weekend Australian. The Sunday papers here seem to be a bit like gossip rags too.

To start with, after emigrating, I bought UK papers, especially if anything major happened in the UK, and after a while it became just the Sunday Times and now it's never at all, since the reporting has less and less relevance on my life. I just look on the internet if I want to read something from a UK perspective.
Too true. If you need UK news, just go to any of the above sites in my first post, or bbc.co.uk/news.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

crowley has a spectacular aura aboutcrowley has a spectacular aura aboutcrowley has a spectacular aura about

That’s funny I miss the Australian news papers.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:13 pm
Badge

The Times has got quite a bit more lightweight than it was this last 10 years.

Badge

Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:44 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

I miss the currant bun for the sport and the third page.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:52 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by englishman1969
the sun,the star,daily mirror does anybody miss these any why
Come to think of it, many people move back to the UK talking about how uncultured Australia is.

You've only got to see the best selling papers in the UK, to know that the UK is not the cultural mecca it is often seen as.

Badge

Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
The Times has got quite a bit more lightweight than it was this last 10 years.

Badge
Yeah, and its a bloody aussie to blame for that! (R. Murdoch )

JTL
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:20 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yeah, and its a bloody aussie to blame for that! (R. Murdoch )

JTL
My mother, who seems to know a bit about this tells me that one saving grace of the Times was (and this was 5 or so years ago, maybe more) that it's letters page was good. All the people that, essentially, 'run' the country wrote in and the views were thus well respected.

The Telegraph, on the other hand which I read for a while as it was widely available in the Officer's Mess, had more old farts (basically!) writing in to it.

There was a funny old thing a while back saying that the Telegraph was read by the people who think they run the country, whilst the Times was read by the people who run the country.....probably half true...

What was it, the Mail is read by the wives of the men that own/run(?) the country...

The Guardian is read by the people who would LIKE to run the country - this was all before 1997(!) and of course, times have changed...

ah here it is:
The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country.
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
The Financial Times is read by people who own the country.
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
And the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think that it is.

Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.

Classic.

Badge

Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Come to think of it, many people move back to the UK talking about how uncultured Australia is.

You've only got to see the best selling papers in the UK, to know that the UK is not the cultural mecca it is often seen as.

Badge
True, but the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent are world class. Sunday Times is great too. I think the UK press produces the best & the worst papers available.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:36 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
True, but the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent are world class. Sunday Times is great too. I think the UK press produces the best & the worst papers available.
I used to be addicted to the Sunday Times, it would take up far too much of my day, I would ritually read the Sport, Motoring, News Review first (in that order).

I would pay particular attention to the rugby section and raise my eyebrows at Stephen Jones articles that were always good value.

If I got around to it, I would finally get to the News Section the next day on the train(!) But I always found time for Jeremy Clarkson's bit. He was always knocking his mate and colleague AA Gill.

Strange thing is, I do not miss it ONE bit. I've got more to do on Sundays now.

Badge

Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We look at online 'papers occasionally and get the International Express every few weeks to catch up on the 'going's on' in Ole Blighty.

To be honest, we get far much more ' indepth' info from my mum each week when we speak ( rolleyes...) as to the state of play in the Uk....

It's alway's the same old thing...politics, who's shagging who, who's shafting who ( not in the biblical sense either... )

Uk / OZ...it's all news and it's all pretty much the same.....
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We look at online 'papers occasionally and get the International Express every few weeks to catch up on the 'going's on' in Ole Blighty.

To b honest, we get far much more ' indepth' info from my mum each week when we speak ( rolleyes...) as tothe state of play in the Uk....

It's alway's the same old thing...politics, who's shagging who, who's shafting who ( not in the biblical sense either... )

Uk / OZ...it's all news and it's all pretty much the same.....
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read a newspaper in UK.

Don't read a newspaper in Aus.

Gee, wonder what I missed ?

Perhaps my life is incomplete.......nah.....save the trees.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Didn't read a newspaper in UK.

Don't read a newspaper in Aus.

Gee, wonder what I missed ?

Perhaps my life is incomplete.......nah.....save the trees.
You old ' greenie', you!!!!

You're in the best place to be saving the rainforest too!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:04 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I used to love getting up on a sunday putting a pot of coffee on and getting the observer, that paper would last me all week.

I also gotta admit I'd quite like to get my hands on a copy of the sun at least it gives you a ten minute laugh a day.

Kala
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:10 am
Just Joined

englishman1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

i asked my wife to pop down to the news agents and get me the sun,oh and while you are there get me something to read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.