Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doctors, Dentist etc....

Doctors, Dentist etc....

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Location: Colchester Essex. Off to Perth in October 2004!! VISA granted 10/07/2004.
Modmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctors, Dentist etc....

Hi there,

Can anyone shed any light on the matter of registering with Doctor's, Dentists and the like in Australia. Based on experience of the uk, and how difficult it is to now register for NHS treatment at any dentist and Doctors lists are full up and many are now not taking new patients!

How does the system work in Australia, is it any easier, do you have your own doctor as in uk - what are your experiences? Based on the fact that we have two small children are they more cared for in Australia from a health point of view, and do they have Health Visitor's for the under 5's?

Many Thanks

Helen
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:51 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

It's pretty simple. You get a Medicare card and then you find the nearest doctor who bulk-bills. Most in urban areas bulk-bill. There really isn't much more to it than that.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Doctors, Dentist etc....

Originally posted by Modmum
Hi there,

Can anyone shed any light on the matter of registering with Doctor's, Dentists and the like in Australia. Based on experience of the uk, and how difficult it is to now register for NHS treatment at any dentist and Doctors lists are full up and many are now not taking new patients!

How does the system work in Australia, is it any easier, do you have your own doctor as in uk - what are your experiences? Based on the fact that we have two small children are they more cared for in Australia from a health point of view, and do they have Health Visitor's for the under 5's?

Many Thanks

Helen

For Doctors you need to register with medicare. Go into any medicare office about 10 days after you arrive with your passports and just ask to register.
As far as registering at a surgery, you just go there and ask to (same as you would here). I went to the doctors three times whilst I was out there for various things (inc dive medical) and never saw the same doctor twice, but then I'm not fussy about seeing "my" doctor over here either.

In Australia you pay for your appointment up front, then get a medicare rebate afterwards.

Have had no personal experience with dentists, but I do know they are expensive. My boyf is saving already for his daughters braces and she doesnt need them for another couple of years.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Location: Colchester Essex. Off to Perth in October 2004!! VISA granted 10/07/2004.

Originally posted by Ulujain
It's pretty simple. You get a Medicare card and then you find the nearest doctor who bulk-bills. Most in urban areas bulk-bill. There really isn't much more to it than that.
Thanks - but what is bulk-bills? Are would you say that the health service is better than uk?

Cheers
Helen
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:57 am
o_0

Thanks - but what is bulk-bills? Are would you say that the health service is better than uk?

Cheers
Helen
Bulk billing is where the doctor bills Medicare for your consultation rather than you. Essentially, you go to the doctor, they swipe your Medicare card, you see the doctor, doctor bills Medicare for the fee. You pay zero.

Can't comment on the UK; never been there.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:58 am
scoobydoo

You wait until you are ill to go to the doctors rather than needing to register. In some areas the bulk billing doctors are rather busy so you may not be able to get an appointment for a week or so.

There are waiting lists for hospital proceedures but you do have the option of private healthcare schemes.

I'm not sure about health visitor type services.

A different system to the UK but not necessarily better!

And don't forget to get ambulance cover in some states as the bill for using that service can be rather steep!!

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Bulk billing is where the doctor bills Medicare for your consultation rather than you. Essentially, you go to the doctor, they swipe your Medicare card, you see the doctor, doctor bills Medicare for the fee. You pay zero.

Can't comment on the UK; never been there.
Thanks very muchly

Helen
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:59 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Are would you say that the health service is better than uk?
I've never had any real problems in the UK, never had any real problems in Australia either (apart from the fact you have to pay for the pill over there, which still annoys me ).
I'm sure there are lots of people with stories for and against. Sometimes I think unfortunately its just luck of the draw. You hear stories here about the person who can't get treatment because they were in the wrong county or something, but then again we also have some pioneering surgeons etc.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:05 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Experiences from this forum vary as to the availability of bulk billing doctors. Here in the Eastern burbs there is plenty of choice. Out west where the docs do not want to live the availablility of bulk billers is dropping.

Even if the docs do not bulk bill the gap can be small and in the case of the docs up the road appointments are available on the spot. Quite a pleasant novelty to me compared to waiting a week back in Woking.

For dentists there is plenty of availability but they are private. Medicare does not cover the dentist. There is some cover for students and those on benefits but dental treatment can cost a bomb. I think it was Jopaullus who posted a personal horror story. Private health cover does cover dental treatment.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally posted by scoobydoo

And don't forget to get ambulance cover in some states as the bill for using that service can be rather steep!!

I don't know abotu other states, but in Queensland this is included in your electricity (Ergon or Energex) bill.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:07 am
o_0

I live in the US where health care is by far the most expensive. To date, I have yet to see a doctor here who would be better than the GP's I dealt with back in Australia. They're the same IMHO, except one is free, the other charges US$75-130 minus insurance co-pay. With most insurance plans here you're stil lforking out $10-30 to see a doctor. Sometimes you don't even see a doctor, you see a "medical assistant", some half-assed pseudo-doctor who has a 3 year associate degree.

Give me free and easy doctors, thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:09 am
o_0

Originally posted by bondipom
Experiences from this forum vary as to the availability of bulk billing doctors. Here in the Eastern burbs there is plenty of choice. Out west where the docs do not want to live the availablility of bulk billers is dropping.

Even if the docs do not bulk bill the gap can be small and in the case of the docs up the road appointments are available on the spot. Quite a pleasant novelty to me compared to waiting a week back in Woking.

For dentists there is plenty of availability but they are private. Medicare does not cover the dentist. There is some cover for students and those on benefits but dental treatment can cost a bomb. I think it was Jopaullus who posted a personal horror story. Private health cover does cover dental treatment.
NSW, at one stage, did have dental clinics attached to their primary schools. They were free for students, obviously. Dunno if that's the case any more.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the US where health care is by far the most expensive. To date, I have yet to see a doctor here who would be better than the GP's I dealt with back in Australia. They're the same IMHO, except one is free, the other charges US$75-130 minus insurance co-pay. With most insurance plans here you're stil lforking out $10-30 to see a doctor. Sometimes you don't even see a doctor, you see a "medical assistant", some half-assed pseudo-doctor who has a 3 year associate degree.

Give me free and easy doctors, thanks.
It is interesting seeing the comparison for those coming from the US and UK. The UK is free full stop although normal dental treatment for adults has a cost that is comparatively small.

Biggest issue in the UK is the availability of healthcare. Free healthcare means taxes and no one likes too much of that. Long waits for GPs and in demand treatments are part of the course.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there free healthcare/dentists for children or are they subjected to the same fees as an adult.

I very rarely see a doctor but my 3 year old son seems to live at the surgery these days.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

If you decide to take up private health insurance you are also entitled for treatment in private hospitals. You'll have to be careful though that the insurance covers the bill.

Furthermore, before you can claim certain treatments on your private health insurance you must be a member for a certain amount of time (the waiting period). This is not for all treatments. For example, if you are pregnant and try to join a private health insurance in order to get the baby delivered in a private hospital, then you're out of luck as there is a 12 month waiting period before you can make your claims regarding pregnancy.

However ..... if you are already privately insured in the UK (or any other 'western' country) then it is possible that some private health insurances can waiver the waiting period. You just have to find out the private health insurer that can accept your UK private health insurer and that continuity can be proven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.