Doctor/Hospital

Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:55 pm
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all
Default Doctor/Hospital

Hiya All,

Just wondering if anyone on here can help me out, we have a friend who is visiting us here in Queensland from the UK. He has no medical Insurance but needs to see a Doctor/Hospital, could someone please advise where he would stand? If he has to pay? any maybe cost?

Many Thanks

Sharon
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctor/Hospital

If he is from the UK, then he has access to Medicare under the reciprocal health care agreement between UK and Australia.

That means he pays the same as an Australian citizen/perm resident, i.e. if the doctor/hospital bulk-bills he pays nothing. If they don't bulk-bill, he pays the "gap".

He should take his passport with him when he goes to see the doctor/hospital.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:20 am
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If he is from the UK, then he has access to Medicare under the reciprocal health care agreement between UK and Australia.

That means he pays the same as an Australian citizen/perm resident, i.e. if the doctor/hospital bulk-bills he pays nothing. If they don't bulk-bill, he pays the "gap".

Many thanks Ozhappy, appreciate your help.

Sharon
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

I always rely on the reciprocal agreement when I come here to Queensland. I had to go to the hospital last week and paid nothing to be seen or for the medication I needed (massive allergic reaction to a species of mosquito don't you know). When I was on a working holiday visa a number of years ago, I had to go to the hospital loads of times (worst run of luck ever) and was only ever charged for the ambulance that I needed when I had a car crash, and even the other guys insurance paid that as he was at fault.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:19 pm
Shaz 'n' Phil

Smile Re: Doctor/Hospital

Hiya Kamie,

All sorted now thank you, he did not have to pay a thing.

Gosh you have not had much luck chuck, but it's good that the health care system is so great here too.

Thanks

Sharon
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

This isn't quite correct. Under the reciprocal agreement the only treatment provided is that which is medically necessary. According to medicare: "Medically necessary treatment means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home".

Cheers

LG