Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do You Think I'm Mad???

Do You Think I'm Mad???

Old May 9th 2003, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do You Think I'm Mad???

I am seriously thinking of putting my house up for sale now, and renting, even though i can't start the process of application till Dec 03 (due to lack of work experence) We are applying under the skilled designated area sponsorship (hubbies cousin sponsoring us) i have discussed our chances with a migrant agent who says he sees no problem when we do apply, and that it will be quick as hubbies reli lives in ACT. i have just had house valued and have £47,000 equity!! i want to get it in the bank in case the housing market drops. Has any one else been in this position? any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
Old May 9th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do You Think I'm Mad???

Hi Ellen,

Our house has been on the market since January, we only lodged our application in February. We have had very little interest and my advice would be to get the house on the market asap, the market does appear to have dried up a bit, although agents are advising that they are starting to have more enquiries from prospective buyers since easter. Some areas don't appear to be as bad as others but our feeling is that we would rather have the money in the bank than having it in a property we cannot sell. I am becoming very concerned that this may be the case anyway.

Best of luck with your application,

Hazel
Old May 9th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks hazel, our family and friends think were mad, but if something was to go wrong with the application, we intend to move from the area anyway, and like you said once its in the bank, you have some peace of mind

cheers
Old May 9th 2003, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

i applied in March and put my house up for sale at the same time - it was sold in 40 mins- we were due to complete last week - but the buyers pulled out that day due to comlications - so it will be going back up on market next week - we already moved out in with parents

i am of the same opinion i wouldnt want to stay there if anything goes wrong woth the app then we will be moving elsewhere - so my advice is if you have somewhere to go then get it up for sale because even if you get a buyer the sale is not complete until the contracts are exchanged - i know that!!!
Old May 9th 2003, 3:04 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ellen,

We sold our house and moved into rented accommodation a few months agao and have only just applied for PR. We made rather a nice sum which is sitting in the bank earning loads of interest (so much infact that it pays for the rent).

I would have to say go for it in my opinion. It's lovely not having a mortgage and knowing you can up and leave at any time (our lease is now month by month so there's no problem with getting out of it)

Our house did take rather a long time to sell (about 3 months) and I would hate to go through that when we'd been granted our visas.

Plus there's the predicted levelling of prices but that hasn't seemed to happen yet.

I guess it's personal choice but I can highly recommend having no ties and money in the bank! So no, I don't think you are mad in the slightest!

Em.
Old May 9th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hi ellen,

We sold our house and moved into rented accommodation a few months agao and have only just applied for PR. We made rather a nice sum which is sitting in the bank earning loads of interest (so much infact that it pays for the rent).

I would have to say go for it in my opinion. It's lovely not having a mortgage and knowing you can up and leave at any time (our lease is now month by month so there's no problem with getting out of it)

Our house did take rather a long time to sell (about 3 months) and I would hate to go through that when we'd been granted our visas.

Plus there's the predicted levelling of prices but that hasn't seemed to happen yet.

I guess it's personal choice but I can highly recommend having no ties and money in the bank! So no, I don't think you are mad in the slightest!

Em.
Hi Em

We've done the same as you! Sold our house back in Sept 2002 & been in rented accom since. Our house took 6 months to sell.

Don't you find that the money is burnin' a hole in your hand!!

Hopin' to get the visa VERY soon!!

Regards

Ian
Old May 9th 2003, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

well thats it then the house goes on the market next week!!

i thought you'd all say i'm barmy!

i feel this is the first rung of the ladder to oz!!

cheers
Old May 9th 2003, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

At the rate the visas are being processed at the moment, I would put it on the market now.

We are trying to finish ours off so we can put it on. We might have to go into rented depending on how long it takes to sell.
A bit of a pain with 3 children, but more stress free.

I hope things go well for you.
Old May 9th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
At the rate the visas are being processed at the moment, I would put it on the market now.

We are trying to finish ours off so we can put it on. We might have to go into rented depending on how long it takes to sell.
A bit of a pain with 3 children, but more stress free.

I hope things go well for you.

why, how much u selling the kids 4 ?
Old May 9th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied in April and our house has been on the market for the last 2 weeks. Had 1 person round so far and they want to come back for a 2nd look.

The time seems to go so quickly that i think you would definately be better off putting your property up for sale now.

At least you can get going when your visa comes through, and not be held up by the selling process.

Cheers

karen and andy
Old May 9th 2003, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do You Think I'm Mad???

Originally posted by ellen1
I am seriously thinking of putting my house up for sale now, and renting, even though i can't start the process of application till Dec 03 (due to lack of work experence) We are applying under the skilled designated area sponsorship (hubbies cousin sponsoring us) i have discussed our chances with a migrant agent who says he sees no problem when we do apply, and that it will be quick as hubbies reli lives in ACT. i have just had house valued and have £47,000 equity!! i want to get it in the bank in case the housing market drops. Has any one else been in this position? any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
Hi there,

No you're not mad,

We did the same thing and have moved into rented just last week, we also have PR visa's in place and must validate by Jan 04, only thing is, we feel we've missed the boat on the rate of exchange otherwise it would have been 3 out of 3

Best of luck if you are selling now is the time, dont wait ...
Old May 10th 2003, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by terryg
why, how much u selling the kids 4 ?

I am sure we can come to some agreement!

I will bring them for viewing tonight at the Meet! Lets see if you still want them after meeting them?
Old May 10th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
I am sure we can come to some agreement!

I will bring them for viewing tonight at the Meet! Lets see if you still want them after meeting them?
I'll brace myself for it...........