Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you remember...........

Do you remember...........

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:35 am
James West

Default Re: Do you remember...........

Want some REALLY encouraging news? Then read on!

Ohhh I remember it sooo well! I Think about what memories my kids will have and so
far at age 7 & 11 they have lived too!

My Daughter remembers that magical night when we went to a really posh restaurant
and had really nice weird food (Snails and yuck like that!) She remembers going to
see Harry Potter at the cinema, Walking the dog in the woods, Bathing in the sea
untill she was too frozen to do anything but shiver (But oh what fun that was
Yesterday!), mummy's old blue car that she called "Jemima" (Blue maestro), building
snow cows four years ago (The last time we had enough snow to build one), christams
with the family playing silly games, getting drunk (On snowballs and a shot of rum
mixed with a pint of coke!) then laughing so much at the cat with the silly string
tied in a pretty bow around it's neck (£50.00 vets bill later!), the freezing cold
plsy times and playing on the Play Station. My Son (The 7 yr Old) Has a memory like
an elephant and all of filled with the same romantic crap! He Really does NOT want
to go back to school on tuesday! And it is really annoying when you go up to a
counter waiting politely in line only to be continuously ignored as a piece of
insignificance as every one else gets asked before you do! (Why are grown ups so
ignorant?). It's really hard being a kid!

Santa Claus! Ohh yes they both believe in Santa and the tooth fairy! But my daughter
is now only pretending to :}.

Regards

James & Vikki

15 Months to go and still haven't applied for skilled migration tests yet!

:}
"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read this...............
    > Close your eyes and go back in time... Before the Internet or the Apple Mac. Before
    > semi-automatics, joyriders and crack.... Before SEGA or Super Nintendo... Way
    > back........ I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park. The corner shop.
    > Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping. Handstands. Football with an old can. Fingerbob.
    > Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace. Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping
    > the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe
    > bubble gum. An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune
    > - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball
    > Wait..... Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double
    > Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'?
    > - or staying up for Doctor Who. When around the corner seemed far away and going
    > into town Seemed like going somewhere. Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee
    > stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.
    > Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter
    > what the weather. Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your
    > stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy
    > and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember
    > that? The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons
    > were the ultimate weapon Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a
    > motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters I'm not finished just yet..... Eating raw
    > jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Remember when...There were two types of trainers -
    > girls and boys, and Dunlop GreenFlash - and the only time you wore them at school
    > was for
    > P.E.You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to
    > have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve.
    > When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 25p was decent pocket money When you'd
    > reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. When nearly everyone's mum was at home
    > when the kids got there. It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb. When
    > it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real
    > restaurant with your parents. When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed
    > him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a
    > thing of it. When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the
    > fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for
    > our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.
    > parents and Grandparents were a much bigger threat! - and some of us are still
    > afraid of them!! Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, Yeah, I
    > remember that! Remember when....Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Shit
    > " "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were
    > handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". The worst thing you could
    > catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was
    > having to sit next to one. It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123'
    > wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a
    > catapult. Nobody was prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and
    > made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin. Ice cream
    > was considered a basic food group Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true
    > Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors If
    > you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:14 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

This thought came to me in the middle of the night.Just a little insight into how my ****ed up mind works

Do you remember when they used to sing the line
"Next door is only a footstep away" in the 'Neighbours' jingle

I really should get out more
Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Baldbutts is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you remember when you used to be funny ? I can't
Old Sep 18th 2002, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Do you remember...........

Originally posted by micky:
Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read
this...............

Close your eyes and go back in time...
Before the Internet or the Apple Mac.
Before semi-automatics, joyriders and crack.... Before SEGA or Super Nintendo... Way back........
I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.
The corner shop. Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping.
Handstands.
Football with an old can. Fingerbob. Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace. Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe bubble gum.
An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball
Wait..... Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who.
When around the corner seemed far away and going into town Seemed like going somewhere.
Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter what the weather. Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
Being tired from playing....remember that?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters I'm not finished just yet..... Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops.
Remember when...There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop GreenFlash - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't
sleep a wink on Christmas eve. When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 25p was decent pocket money
When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb. When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. parents and
Grandparents were a much bigger threat! - and some of us are still afraid of them!!
Didn't that feel good?
Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that! Remember when....Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Shit "
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.
It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.
Nobody was prettier than Mum.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin. Ice cream was considered a basic food group Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

Micky!

wow!! just brilliant!! you brought back so many happy memories of growing up!! we must have been born on the same day, and lead 'parallel lives!'
I remember vividly everything you listed!!

Its so sad in a way, but i dont think that 'the kids of today' will grow up with the same fond memories of childhood and teenage years!!

I also remember spending saturdays pocket money [which was hard earned!] on comics like 'bunty' and 'jackie' and getting a 'quarter of sherbet pips'
or 'cough candy' and eating them all! even though they made my mouth was really sore!!!
Going to school looking immaculate with ribbon in my hair!, and coming home looking like i went to 'st.Trinians!! and always having jelly and ice-cream at birthday parties and playing 'pass the parcel'.

AAhhhhhh!!!! those were the days!!!

Cheers xx
Old Sep 18th 2002, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Mind blowing!

Thanks for making feel really old...have been fighting that weird feeling that everyone is looking very young for ages...damn!

Old Sep 19th 2002, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew it wasn't just me that thought things had changed! I have to literally throw my 6 year old out into the garden to play, otherwise it would be tv and computer games all day.

We sat watching Top of the Pops 2 last night, my daughter couldn't understand why there wasn't any colour in the picture when groups from the 60s came on. Hard to think there was practically hardly any telly during the day in my day, only the testcard!!

Here's hoping my children get a proper childhood in NZ.

Lizzie
Old Sep 22nd 2002, 7:43 pm
Trapani Antonino

Default R: Do you remember...........

Hi, whatever you are. I'm from Sicily and search for new friends. Would you
want to talk with meùùùùùùù?
Thanks anyway and have a good day
lizzie wrote in message
[email protected]...
    > I knew it wasn't just me that thought things had changed! I have to
    > literally throw my 6 year old out into the garden to play, otherwise it
    > would be tv and computer games all day.
    > We sat watching Top of the Pops 2 last night, my daughter couldn't
    > understand why there wasn't any colour in the picture when groups from
    > the 60s came on. Hard to think there was practically hardly any telly
    > during the day in my day, only the testcard!!
    > Here's hoping my children get a proper childhood in NZ.
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com