Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

We live a much more outdoors life here than we did in the UK (we are in Melbourne). The winter here is generally sunny, which allows for much more time outdoors, even if you do need a jumper on (although even some days in winter are T-shirt days). Right now, our entire family goes for an evening walk for about 1 hour every day when I get home from work. We walk a circular walk round the creek near where we live, or down to the beach and back.

Melbourne summer evenings stay light until 9.30 so not unlike England in that respect.

Buzzy
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kez81
i walk everywhere here as i dont drive yet i walk my daughter to and from kindy 20mins each way there are kids that live 5min from the school and still get driven there ive noticed that alot over here people tend to use there cars more but things are alot more spaced out.
People are really obsessed with their cars here. Sometimes it's a matter of distance but where we are in Sydney people seem happier to sit in traffic jams rather than take public transport. People constantly moan about the trains but compared to the UK they're great, and so much cheaper. I wouldn't dream of driving into the city and trying to park when I can get the train (30 minutes) for $5 return and I only have to pay (half price) for one child whether I have one or all three with me.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:55 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Not for me......its pretty much the same as England I try to hit the gym either over lunch or straight from work. If I go to the gym after work its usually getting dark (yep it gets dark pretty early here in Brisbane especially during winter) by the time I have finished. So its straight home for something to eat then maybe something on the TV.

Originally Posted by MANDS14
One of our reasons for wanting to emigrate is the hope that instead of being stuck indoors with the kids during the winter watching TV (or having to trapse around shoppping centres or indoor soft play centres!)we will live a more outdoor life in Oz and have access to much better and readily available sports facilities.

I was just wondering if this is really the case or have i got rose tinted glasses on?!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:13 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
People are really obsessed with their cars here. Sometimes it's a matter of distance but where we are in Sydney people seem happier to sit in traffic jams rather than take public transport. People constantly moan about the trains but compared to the UK they're great, and so much cheaper. I wouldn't dream of driving into the city and trying to park when I can get the train (30 minutes) for $5 return and I only have to pay (half price) for one child whether I have one or all three with me.
Aye, I love the trains in Brisbane, the commute-time buses seem to be way overcrowded though ... I heard somewhere last week that the public transport system is subsidised 3 to 1, so for every $1 I spend, the goverment contributes $3 just to keep the system going.

One day I'll have a lazy City Cat cruise, that looks fun ... went down to Sydney not so long back and the first thing I did was get a ferry across to Manly, very pleasant indeed ...
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
first thing I did was get a ferry across to Manly, very pleasant indeed ...
Better than the Mersey anyway
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:34 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Better than the Mersey anyway
I pushed a car onto the Liverpool-Dublin ferry once (gearbox hassles) ... and off at the other end ... that was the start of my attempted move to Ireland a few years back ... it was doomed from minute one
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:13 am
Just Joined

silverspider is an unknown quantity at this point

We now have two kids who we take down to the beach (Manly) almost every day, failing which, the park or pool. We come back worn out, in a good way, and hardly ever sit in front of the TV through the day. A far cry from my childhood in Essex (which I loved) but the beach was almost always out of the question, and holidays/weekends often seemed spoiled by the weather. If we plan a picnic or bbq in Aus it invariably goes ahead.