Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 3:38 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

we live 3-4 hundred yards from the kids school with 830 pupils at their primary and by 3.15pm the streets are deserted where do all the kids go? as far as i`m led to believe from the other parents thay all go to activities (indoors) which are plentiful around here, and cost a fortune.My 8 yr old daughter started the gymnastics not long ago and after one session was told she should upgrade to the more advanced class only costing another $70 on top of the original cost of $110 joining fee (10 weeks)and when they do their little competitions locally its only $150 for the leotard and $150 for the track suit all in all there are plenty of live sports for the kids here but ou will pay for it!!!

oh, one other little thing,as soon as it starts to get dark i wouldnt let the kids stray outside the street, as soon as they go 20yards from the house you cant see them, when it gets dark here its DARK!!!

Originally Posted by MANDS14
One of our reasons for wanting to emigrate is the hope that instead of being stuck indoors with the kids during the winter watching TV (or having to trapse around shoppping centres or indoor soft play centres!)we will live a more outdoor life in Oz and have access to much better and readily available sports facilities.

I was just wondering if this is really the case or have i got rose tinted glasses on?!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We definitely live a more outdoor life here. It does help that we have a pool though! The kids are in and out of it whenever they can, even if the weather isn't brilliant (wetsuits are wonderful things). We also live just across the road from an oval which leads into the bush, so OH and I go walking a lot which we never did in England despite being on the edge of the South Downs. DS1 and OH also go cyling in the bush.

There are lots of playgrounds around - most have clean toilets which always helps with kids!

My eldest is sporty and is thrilled at the options for sport he has here during school time, though there are no "after school clubs" as such. Most kids we know here do a Summer sport and Winter sport. Water based activities are cheaper here than we found them in the UK. At the end of the day though, it's really whatever you make of it. I used to hibernate through the long dark Winter evenings and struggle to get out of bed in the morning, so I'm much happier here as even if the weather isn't brilliant, it never seems quite as awful as it was in the UK.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Don't want to spread more doom and gloom, but Australia has an obesity crisis that is probably worse than the UK and similar to US. The stats below are out of date for Aus and current for UK. I think Aus has the highest alchohol consumption per head in the world.

Form Aus bureau of statistics:
Overweight and obesity pose a major risk to long term health by increasing the risk of chronic illnesses. In 2005, 7.4 million people aged 18 years and over (54% of the adult population) were classified as overweight or obese

The Age article:
In the first study to look at the weight of Australian children over the last century, researchers found that obesity rates jumped from 4 per cent in 1901 to more than 30 per cent in 2003

UK:
Soaring obesity rates mean 22.4 per cent of women and 22.7 per cent of men are now classed as so overweight their health is at serious risk.

Our attitude is we will go and make the most of it. I was surprised with the stats above and hoped we would find Ausssies to be active and fit, making it easier to join in and be part of it. Unfortunately it seems like this is not the case and it really is down to yourselves.

Couch potato culture appears to rule in Aus as well. They seem to be big on watching sport (with a tinny in hand), not taking part
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:52 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
Don't want to spread more doom and gloom, but Australia has an obesity crisis that is probably worse than the UK and similar to US. The stats below are out of date for Aus and current for UK. I think Aus has the highest alchohol consumption per head in the world.

Overweight and obesity pose a major risk to long term health by increasing the risk of chronic illnesses. In 2005, 7.4 million people aged 18 years and over (54% of the adult population) were classified as overweight or obese

The Age article:
In the first study to look at the weight of Australian children over the last century, researchers found that obesity rates jumped from 4 per cent in 1901 to more than 30 per cent in 2003

UK:
Soaring obesity rates mean 22.4 per cent of women and 22.7 per cent of men are now classed as so overweight their health is at serious risk.

Our attitude is we will go and make the most of it. I was surprised with the stats above and hoped we would find Ausssies to be active and fit, making it easier to join in and be part of it. Unfortunately it seems like this is not the case and it really is down to yourselves.

Couch potato culture appears to rule in Aus as well. They seem to be big on watching sport (with a tinny in hand), not taking part
Have to disagree with you on the 'participation in sport ' belief.
Yesterday evening we spent 4 hours transporting and watching, our daughter's compete in volleyball and netball matches.
The sport centre that holds the volleyball matches has 8 courts and the first matches start at 4:20 and the last ones finish at 9:20. All ages and abilities at school level compete, upwards from 8 years. Girls and boys of all shapes and sizes, with tremendous parental support. As a spectator you take your life in your hands as there are balls flying everywhere! The same goes for the netball matches, frantic, continuous activity all evening, with boys also playing in mixed teams at primary level.
This scenario is played out across the city in numerous suburbs and continues again throughout Saturday. This is not forgetting the soccer, swimming, cricket, athletics, gymnastics, orienteering, baseball, tennis, rowing....you name it, you can see it going on somewhere in Adelaide.
Combine that with training on Tuesday and Friday mornings and Wednesday evenings and that's just for 2 sports and there's little time for TV, although I always manage to squeeze in a bit of laptop time for BE!
Don't fully understand the high levels of obesity here as with so much activity you would assume there wouldn't be such a large problem. However, perhaps the cheap cost, prevalence and 'ease' of junk food in relation to healthier alternatives is a factor.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Don't fully understand the high levels of obesity here as with so much activity you would assume there wouldn't be such a large problem. However, perhaps the cheap cost, prevalence and 'ease' of junk food in relation to healthier alternatives is a factor.
I'd say that the kids who seem in to sport are the kids that have parents that have steered them that way or have the benefit of that sort of influence and environment. It probably is a minority that are as committed as the kids you see.

There are thousands more who fall by the wayside.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We definitely live a more outdoor life here. It does help that we have a pool though! The kids are in and out of it whenever they can, even if the weather isn't brilliant (wetsuits are wonderful things). We also live just across the road from an oval which leads into the bush, so OH and I go walking a lot which we never did in England despite being on the edge of the South Downs. DS1 and OH also go cyling in the bush.

There are lots of playgrounds around - most have clean toilets which always helps with kids!

My eldest is sporty and is thrilled at the options for sport he has here during school time, though there are no "after school clubs" as such. Most kids we know here do a Summer sport and Winter sport. Water based activities are cheaper here than we found them in the UK. At the end of the day though, it's really whatever you make of it. I used to hibernate through the long dark Winter evenings and struggle to get out of bed in the morning, so I'm much happier here as even if the weather isn't brilliant, it never seems quite as awful as it was in the UK.
Rosscarbery sums up nicely what we expect. We know its up to us though.

Our son is 11 years old and couldn't get into a cricket team in the UK. He would also like to do rugby and is already a club swimmer and plays cello in a strings club. It would be great if he gets all these opportunities at school or elsewhwere. The new opportunities for ocean/beach like surfing/snorkelling excites us all. OH might resurrest his tennis and golf.

We are paying quite a lot of money for him for all this in the UK, so don't really expect that to change. Just so long as it is out there. After all we are going for a new life and a refreshed attitude to making the most of it
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it seems like this is not the case and it really is down to yourselves.
Who else would it be down to
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Age article:

UK:

I thought this about obesity, but at the last count, the UK had more obesity than Australia.

Hutch has the links...
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

One of our reasons for wanting to emigrate is the hope that instead of being stuck indoors with the kids during the winter watching TV (or having to trapse around shoppping centres or indoor soft play centres!)we will live a more outdoor life in Oz and have access to much better and readily available sports facilities.

I was just wondering if this is really the case or have i got rose tinted glasses on?!
Hi

I have to say, the above is the main reason we want to go to Australia.

We have 3 young children and we all enjoy the outdoor life. But must admit we get out and about alot more in the summer than in the winter.

Me and hubby fight to take the dog out when the weather is not suitable for the children, just for the peace and quiet.

I don't know about others, but when it's winter (cold and dark) don't them walls come in when the kids have lots of energy they want to waste.

We are hopefully heading to Adelaide, or possibly Melbourne. I don't think these are quite as humid as other places and I am hoping it won't get dark to early...

Well, will keep on dreaming and hoping it is what I imagine. Hopefully the driving will improve though, as that does bother me...

Bye for now

Tracey
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
Hi

I have to say, the above is the main reason we want to go to Australia.

We have 3 young children and we all enjoy the outdoor life. But must admit we get out and about alot more in the summer than in the winter.

Me and hubby fight to take the dog out when the weather is not suitable for the children, just for the peace and quiet.

I don't know about others, but when it's winter (cold and dark) don't them walls come in when the kids have lots of energy they want to waste.

We are hopefully heading to Adelaide, or possibly Melbourne. I don't think these are quite as humid as other places and I am hoping it won't get dark to early...

Well, will keep on dreaming and hoping it is what I imagine. Hopefully the driving will improve though, as that does bother me...

Bye for now

Tracey
Hi Tracey, sounds like you are om my wave length! Might bump into you in either Melbourne or Adelaide!

It's really interesting to hear everyone's views and Im really grateful for the replies-it all helps to build a picture of lies ahead.

But could someone please explain what 'mowing' means!!!!! (I might be showing myself up to be a bit thick but I just don't get it!)
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Spent the weekend at wet and wild, if you think the aussies are fit and fabulous go there OMG bloody horrible sights.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Spent the weekend at wet and wild, if you think the aussies are fit and fabulous go there OMG bloody horrible sights.
And there was me worrying incessantly over getting into a swimsuit publicly....

It appears that there is hope

Em x
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
And there was me worrying incessantly over getting into a swimsuit publicly....

It appears that there is hope

Em x
Theres loads of hope clothes here are massive, so flattering reckon if your a 14 in the UK a 10 will fit here, loads of women are huge and the sizes seem to have been 'adjusted'.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Theres loads of hope clothes here are massive, so flattering reckon if your a 14 in the UK a 10 will fit here, loads of women are huge and the sizes seem to have been 'adjusted'.
That'll teach me for going by "home and away" for peoples sizes!!!!

(am kidding btw!!)

On a serious note - I was reading somewhere that Australia actually has a very serious obesity problem?

Em x
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:16 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why can't you go outside in the winter?
i agree with that when i was a kid we were out no matter what the weather is like, for hours, here i cant really let my daughter out for more than an hour at a time as she's so fair

i walk everywhere here as i dont drive yet i walk my daughter to and from kindy 20mins each way there are kids that live 5min from the school and still get driven there ive noticed that alot over here people tend to use there cars more but things are alot more spaced out.

Last edited by kez81; Nov 4th 2007 at 9:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.