Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well considering it gets dark early all year round in most parts of Australia, and then there are the mozzies etc. to consider, then perhaps you won't have much time there either.

....it is pretty feeble to suggest that the british winter is too cold to go outside

....Australia seems to be attracting the 'hardiest' of the breed as well
One word:

Mowing.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern-stars
can't directly answer the question but this is my hope for our four children as well, i'm imagining camping trips at the weekend, beaches, barbies at the park, outdoor swimming pools, wildlife interests, and so on, hope thats what its gonna be like, though i suppose life is what you make it where ever you are!
The reality for many Australians is that they do this well. A family holiday is almost certainly going to involve towing a trailer somewhere to a river or to an unvisited area. They do explore their own country very well as it is expensive to get overseas - although many Australians do go OS too.

In fact, on the camping front, they seem to do this better than English migrants - they seem better equipped for it (literally as well as figuratively), suited for it, and have far more knowledge.

I'm don't know much about organised camping the way it is currently practised, (equipment changes lol) and want to learn, but can live outdoors.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Nov 2nd 2007 at 11:44 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
People talk about the 40 degrees. We've been here two years and whilst I know we've had mild summers up to now, we've not had one day yet when the temp has got to 40 so it would be wrong to assume you are going to have days and days of them. Even places that do only have a few in blocks. It's not a summer long norm.

We are outside more, but that's because we have a pool in the garden and a huge shady veranda and lots of anti mozzie stuff. We probably watch as much TV as we did as well. Horses for courses really, if you want to be outside more, you will. If you don't go out in winter in the UK (and I'm like G, I can't see why you wouldn't) then you may not be out more here. It's totally up to you.

This was typed whilst sitting on the veranda with the laptop whilst hubby cleans the pool
ohhhh so envious- that is what I imagine a better life would be: lazing on a lounger, wine glass in hand browsing BE, whilst kids are asleep having had a day at the beach bodyboarding/surfing, or some other outdoor activity that doesn't cost a fortune!/ hubby cleaning pool and topping up wine and walkers sensations (can you get these in Oz?) and planning tomorrows bbq
Please tell me its true!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

People talk about the 40 degrees. We've been here two years and whilst I know we've had mild summers up to now, we've not had one day yet when the temp has got to 40 so it would be wrong to assume you are going to have days and days of them. Even places that do only have a few in blocks. It's not a summer long norm.

We are outside more, but that's because we have a pool in the garden and a huge shady veranda and lots of anti mozzie stuff. We probably watch as much TV as we did as well. Horses for courses really, if you want to be outside more, you will. If you don't go out in winter in the UK (and I'm like G, I can't see why you wouldn't) then you may not be out more here. It's totally up to you.

This was typed whilst sitting on the veranda with the laptop whilst hubby cleans the pool
Most of the habitable and popular parts of Australia do get seasons. And winter and summer are only extremes - spring and autumn is half the year when it is likely you might be able to do all those things as well as in summer.

Melbourne is a sporty city because the weather changes in summer and that it is cooler leading into what can be extreme summer heat allows for sport in evening as well as the morning.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MANDS14
ohhhh so envious- that is what I imagine a better life would be: lazing on a lounger, wine glass in hand browsing BE, whilst kids are asleep having had a day at the beach bodyboarding/surfing, or some other outdoor activity that doesn't cost a fortune!/ hubby cleaning pool and topping up wine and walkers sensations (can you get these in Oz?) and planning tomorrows bbq
bring the walkers with you as I've not found anywhere that sells them yet!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not in our house. No pool, no lounger, no deck, hubby planting lettuces and tomatoes, me about to paint the skirting. Banrock Station in the pantry though but no Walkers sensations. Kids long gone (well, that is one advantage I suppose!)
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
One word:

Mowing.
Hi badge is back

What does mowing mean?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is true - if you plan it that way like moneypenny says. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Depends on the age of your kids of course - we have babies so have forgotten to an extent what total freedom is, but we have deck moments too. We love it here yet don't get to enjoy some of the benefits like many others as we have to work hard with dependants.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Nov 2nd 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi badge is back

What does mowing mean?
Eh? I reckon you should stay in England mate.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No walkers here but we have Red Rock Chips/crisps instead
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:10 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely live a more outdoor lifestyle here - cycling with my daughter (nothing to energetic but still outdoors). Beaches, camping, picnic, swimming pool

The list goes on
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:03 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Moneypen... There's probably a few days in the summer when it's too damn hot to go out, but the weather is up and down... it's not constant.

We are out more here for sure. We picked a hilly place to live and we do lots of walks. I bought a dog too, so I have to walk her daily.
I run more, get out to the lovely open air pool pretty much every day in the summer... fabulous.

Sunscreen is just a way of life eventually and you don't give it much thought... just slap it on in the morning and when you're swimming. You wear a hat naturally here too... just becomes second nature.

Fly repellant is good... you can get thiamine patches for mozzies or just take vitamin B complex...

All in all, out doors more here and loving it.

Oh - forgot to say... mowing.

And I hardly watch TV these days. Far too busy.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I would say we spend a lot more time outdoors here. My daughter gets home from school and within ten mins is outside playing with all her friends in the street. We then dont see her until about seven when she comes in for her dinner !
I do a lot more exersise here with plenty of walks on the beach with the dogs. But it all seems to cancel out as the bloody Aussie wine is just to good and cheap to resist !

Nicky
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:31 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I would say we spend a lot more time outdoors here. My daughter gets home from school and within ten mins is outside playing with all her friends in the street. We then dont see her until about seven when she comes in for her dinner !
I do a lot more exersise here with plenty of walks on the beach with the dogs. But it all seems to cancel out as the bloody Aussie wine is just to good and cheap to resist !

Nicky
Yeah, the wine... what a problem that is...

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:39 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Activities ...

I was pretty active before (hiking, rock-climbing and whatnot in all weathers) but I find I'm walking (for pleasure) less here due to the heat. Winter is good but haven't had the time yet to scout out a good walking route due to family commitments.

On the upside I am getting back into cycling very soon and the roads are definitely more conducive to that around here than back in the crowded South-East. There are also extensive cycle paths and it seems to be all very agreeable.

There are definitely more parks and recreational areas than I was used to in the UK and they seem to be better maintained, especially the bogs ... I am often seen hanging around the bogs ... anyway ...

And I play cricket all year long instead of 5-a-side soccer ... which is a great day out ... or half-day in our case ... even in the summer (slip,slap,slop,fumble) ... and a great way of getting an Aussie social circle going.

It probably evens-out for me actually as I used to walk/hike in the UK in all kinds of weather anyway and probably preferred building up heat in the depths of winter than perspiring my life away in the 'good' weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.