Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Re: Do you live a more outdoor/ active life in Oz?

Originally Posted by Grayling
I'm only playing cos I'm bored

Too cold and dark here to go to the pub

G
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
I think I need to do my research a bit more - but then I guess thats where BE comes in!

I had the notion that it was lighter for longer than in UK (We are planning to go to Adelaide or Melbourne) but then had forgotten about the 40 degree heat, mossies, and fly problem that i have been reading about!

Still- I'm keeping my dream of a more sunshiny, active, outdoor life- We like to be fairly active and healthy. We both run and the children do dance and swimming but for them it's all indoors and it costs us a fortune!
Adelaide stay lighter longer than the more Northern states but the winters are pretty cold....and the summers very hot.

Don't underestimate the Adelaide winter....houses do not have insulation.

Good luck

G
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Dance classes and swimming lessons still cost loads here and most kids still have them. There are some opportunities to do sport for free outside school but most cost heaps. I've been quite surprised by how many of my kids friends are still on training wheels on their bikes and the kids round here only play out once the nights start getting lighter, we thought no kids lived round here at first as we moved in to our house right at the start of winter.
I think we have made a bit more effort to change our ways a bit and the blue skies do help but it's certainly not as outdoorsy and sporty as I thought it might be - not that that particularly bothers me, just an observation.

Lou
xx

Grayling your name really seems to suit you!

Yes, outdoor pools, barbies, lovely parks, beaches etc thats exactly what Im hoping for. And opportunities for the children to be sporty without it costing a fortune!

If my children go to a dance class or a swimming lesson or a soccertots session here it costs about £5 a time- it adds up to a small fortune when they are all doing something once or twice a week!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:08 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only playing cos I'm bored

Too cold and dark here to go to the pub

G

The bit that's most suprised people I've spoken to about our time in Aus, is me saying that I've never been as cold as I used to be when living in Sydney. Our place didn't have any form of heating (or air con, for summer) and the badly insulated houses and ill fitting doors/windows are fairly old news. So Mr GG and I used to freeze in Aus in autumn/winter. I keep walking around the house here turning down radiators - can't cope with being so snug and warm!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably easier to find a half decent swimming pool in Aus than UK but there are, as others have said, other deterrents to the outside life. The flies are particularly bad this year - makes being outside much less pleasant. The mozzies are a deterrent in themselves for late afternoon and evening activities. The sun is fun in small doses but being outside in 40C heat is no fun, ever and you have to be very careful with kids in the sun - even SPF 30 is not total protection against being burned to a crisp if you foret to renew it in time! Actually it is probably pretty much the same as UK although we stay in for different reasons. Air conditioning is your friend!!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

It's really good to hear everyones views- even if it does make me think oh hell things might not be that bad here after all!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's really good to hear everyones views- even if it does make me think oh hell things might not be that bad here after all!!

Don't take remarks too seriously.....people are only really trying to help.

If you are going to make such a big move it is as well to be aware that every silver lining also has a cloud......things will always look better from a distance and it is easy to overlook what you already have.

I am sure you will be fine and have a great time but be prepared for the less obvious downsides.

G
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't take remarks too seriously.....people are only really trying to help.

If you are going to make such a big move it is as well to be aware that every silver lining also has a cloud......things will always look better from a distance and it is easy to overlook what you already have.

I am sure you will be fine and have a great time but be prepared for the less obvious downsides.

G
hmmmmm.... quite love that quote.. "every silver lining also has a cloud"... hmmmm... I am not married to you am I??? (sounds bang like the husband!)...

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by emelems
hmmmmm.... quite love that quote.. "every silver lining also has a cloud"... hmmmm... I am not married to you am I??? (sounds bang like the husband!)...

That 'cos men are sensible
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

*can opened... worms sprouting everywhere*
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sensible: able to feel or perceive) "even amoeba are sensible creatures";
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Sensible: able to feel or perceive) "even amoeba are sensible creatures";
:embaressed_smile:
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People talk about the 40 degrees. We've been here two years and whilst I know we've had mild summers up to now, we've not had one day yet when the temp has got to 40 so it would be wrong to assume you are going to have days and days of them. Even places that do only have a few in blocks. It's not a summer long norm.

We are outside more, but that's because we have a pool in the garden and a huge shady veranda and lots of anti mozzie stuff. We probably watch as much TV as we did as well. Horses for courses really, if you want to be outside more, you will. If you don't go out in winter in the UK (and I'm like G, I can't see why you wouldn't) then you may not be out more here. It's totally up to you.

This was typed whilst sitting on the veranda with the laptop whilst hubby cleans the pool
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:25 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could say that Moneypen but we're definitely stuck in today in Adelaide as it's peeing down with much needed rain.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Wish I could say that Moneypen but we're definitely stuck in today in Adelaide as it's peeing down with much needed rain.
I love going out for walks when it's chucking it down providing I'm prepared for it. Don't do it often though Swimming in the sea when it's pouring is great too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.