Reload this Page >

do you hate the rain??!!

Wikiposts

do you hate the rain??!!

Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:08 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Answer the Question why does Australia attract such a small number of punters for its tourist trade because as "Big Billy " said come to Australia and see nothing and lots of it.

Tourism is for tourists...
Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Lived here 40+ years.

Never been to Ayers Rock (it's a rock), never been to Alice Springs (it's a small down renown for?), never been to Darwin (it's a small city renown for?). Seen a gum tree, seen 'em all. Seen a beach, seen 'em all.
This is more negative than me, Florida. As an Ozzie, your words may carry weight with the poms - you have some responsibility to keep the dreams going, surely?
Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:11 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Florida_03
Tourism is for tourists...
People travel because they are interested in the Country they wish to see and little bother with Skippyland.

Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:21 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
This is more negative than me, Florida. As an Ozzie, your words may carry weight with the poms - you have some responsibility to keep the dreams going, surely?
I was born here and I have travelled to all the places in this country I wish to see. I love Australia but only because it is my sole heritage, and therefore I have no other to compare.

It is not, however, a heritage I wish to give my children. If all you desire is a simple ineffectual life then Australia is perfect.

The pioneering spirit that drove my parents, and their parents is long past, but is put up as the enduring essence of who Australians are and what Australia is. It is a lie.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:21 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

I've been out here 10 years now and I STILL love going down to the beach (in Brisbane year round), I agree it's not for everone but if you like the outdoors, water sports, hiking geting away from the crowds, this is the place for you.
There are beaches and beaches some Poms go troppo near one read this , does the 18-30 club let in the odd old dodger?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003342039,00.html

Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

There are beaches and beaches some Poms go troppo near one read this , does the 18-30 club let in the odd old dodger?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003342039,00.html

By your own figures 4 million vist here every year which is quite impressive considering how isolated the country is.
Maybe you've forgotton the joys that can be found from beach life because your body is so bloated and milky white that you are too embarrassed to go down to the beach and become the butt of ridicule.
If you think Club 18-30 is typical of beach likfe in Australia you are sadly misguided.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:38 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
By your own figures 4 million vist here every year which is quite impressive considering how isolated the country is.
Maybe you've forgotton the joys that can be found from beach life because your body is so bloated and milky white that you are too embarrassed to go down to the beach and become the butt of ridicule.
If you think Club 18-30 is typical of beach likfe in Australia you are sadly misguided.
Very personal Pal , a population of 20 million cannot at lest con a few people into visiting this land , might get up the numbers.
Bugger the 18-30 club would not bother with Australia far too dull here.
Looking at their site , how you can say the Brits are dull has me beat .

http://www.club18-30.co.uk/

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 27th 2003 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I will miss Europe (& the ease of getting everywhere). We were recently in Bellagio on Lake Como in Italy, what a fantastic place !, absolutely magic. Great scenery, atmosphere, people, food (the hotel was full of Aussies raving about the place), I'll miss that.

I'll miss our regular trips to Brugges in Belgium (3 hours from my house via the tunnel) & the best pub in the world with the best beer on the planet, It's one of the ncest towns in Europe.

In the UK we are lucky to be so close to these things & there is no denying that Australia is limited in this respect.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:34 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: do you hate the rain??!!

Originally posted by etlniwd
You are either joking or you have a screw loose. The british weather is SHIT. I lived all my life in Britain and I couldn't wait to get away from the dizzle, the lashing rain, the chill wind etc etc (and that's just in summer !).

I now live in Brisbane and I've never been anywhere with such perfect weather. Last night was about as cold as it gets (an exceptionally low 5 degrees). It's 6am now and warming up nicely. The forecast is for 20-21 degrees and clear blue skies again - and it's the middle of winter. Autumn and winter are about 25 degrees with mainly fresh blue skies and summer averages 29 degrees but can get into the mid thirties and slightly sticky occasionally. I certainly have no 'tropic diseases' to worry about and we get mossies for about 4 months only. And, it is a myth to claim that you have to cake yourself in suncream. I only wear it occasionally and that's just on the beach. Nobody forces you to take your clothes off in the midday sun. Ever heard of a hat, a sunshirt, or the shadow of a tree ?

The reason the British moan about the weather is because it is the scurge of Britain. Only Ireland and the Falkland Islands have worse weather than Britain.
I lived on the Gold Coast and I lived in Sydney. I have seen what skin cancer does to the unwary and the uneducated. I had to wear sun cream on my face, arms and legs EVERY time we went outdoors for more than 30 minutes or I would burn. I had a mole removed on my leg after just 6 months in the country, which was a suspected skin cancer. Your occasional wearing of suncream may come back to haunt you one day and I strongly advise people heading out your way to ignore your advice. Perhaps you dont get out much?
I'm not exactly convinced by your contention that only the Falklands and Ireland have worse weather than Britain. There are many places on the planet where the weather kills a not insignificant number of people every year. My point stands, the British weather is absolutely excellent, moderate and amongst the safest/most liveable climates in the world. Travelling beyond the standard tourist destinations can be very enlightening.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:50 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Answer the Question why does Australia attract such a small number of punters for its tourist trade because as "Big Billy " said come to Australia and see nothing and lots of it.

It's more expensive to get there?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:53 am
Badge

Originally posted by Herman
I lived on the Gold Coast and I lived in Sydney. I have seen what skin cancer does to the unwary and the uneducated. I had to wear sun cream on my face, arms and legs EVERY time we went outdoors for more than 30 minutes or I would burn. I had a mole removed on my leg after just 6 months in the country, which was a suspected skin cancer. Your occasional wearing of suncream may come back to haunt you one day and I strongly advise people heading out your way to ignore your advice. Perhaps you dont get out much?
I'm not exactly convinced by your contention that only the Falklands and Ireland have worse weather than Britain. There are many places on the planet where the weather kills a not insignificant number of people every year. My point stands, the British weather is absolutely excellent, moderate and amongst the safest/most liveable climates in the world. Travelling beyond the standard tourist destinations can be very enlightening.
in the outback I wore trousers,long sleeved shirts and a massive hat. That's what they are for. Most people would need to cover up faces etc. For most people, legs and arms would eventually tan and give you some semblance of protection for short periods of 10-15 minutes - maybe 30 mins?? - so if your skin is that sensitive then I guess you're right : you shouldn't be in Australia.

I am not a sunbaker. Period. So - I got a tan over a slow accumulation of being "around" and "near" Sun over a year. I suppose its the healthiest way of getting a tan (if you're going to get one).

like an idiot though I got a bit burnt my last day in Australia a year on. Couldn't believe my stupidity.

badgers

Old Jul 28th 2003, 2:21 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
in the outback I wore trousers,long sleeved shirts and a massive hat. That's what they are for. Most people would need to cover up faces etc. For most people, legs and arms would eventually tan and give you some semblance of protection for short periods of 10-15 minutes - maybe 30 mins?? - so if your skin is that sensitive then I guess you're right : you shouldn't be in Australia.

I am not a sunbaker. Period. So - I got a tan over a slow accumulation of being "around" and "near" Sun over a year. I suppose its the healthiest way of getting a tan (if you're going to get one).

like an idiot though I got a bit burnt my last day in Australia a year on. Couldn't believe my stupidity.

badgers
The interesting thing is that actually being a bit brown does not really offer protection. People think it does, but the sun is still happily damaging skin cells but its just not so obvious as the initial burn. Thats the mistake people (well mostly poms) make. My wife is olive skinned but the skin cancer clinic still insisted that she MUST wear sun cream all the time, even though she never gets the obvious red skin burn. I'm with you on this one - I've never been one for sunbathing because its boring, damaging, boring, too hot and boring! I respond through gritted teath when people say things like "ooh, where's your sun tan?" after a holiday. We just returned from a week cruising the med, which was a fantastic sight seeing tour and the number of people who chellenged us over our lack of decent tans when we got back was sad. Why are people so obsessed with sun tans? Must some kind of status thing I guess. I dont play those games.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:05 am
Badge

Originally posted by Herman
The interesting thing is that actually being a bit brown does not really offer protection. People think it does, but the sun is still happily damaging skin cells but its just not so obvious as the initial burn. Thats the mistake people (well mostly poms) make. My wife is olive skinned but the skin cancer clinic still insisted that she MUST wear sun cream all the time, even though she never gets the obvious red skin burn. I'm with you on this one - I've never been one for sunbathing because its boring, damaging, boring, too hot and boring! I respond through gritted teath when people say things like "ooh, where's your sun tan?" after a holiday. We just returned from a week cruising the med, which was a fantastic sight seeing tour and the number of people who chellenged us over our lack of decent tans when we got back was sad. Why are people so obsessed with sun tans? Must some kind of status thing I guess. I dont play those games.
Too right mate. Actually, as I wrote I suspected that the browness itself is not indicative of some form of protection. read it somewhere..which is why, after aclimatising, I was happy to wear long trousers and long sleeves....

At the end of the day, as my gf's dad so eloquently said "we're white men living in a black's man country...."

sunbaking is boring - for me its the combo of sand and oil. WHY do people do it? OK once every few months maybe(?) Still, beaches have their appeal elsewhere so I will quite happily run down the surf on a run...all the while engaging in that aussie pastime...

having a good old perve..

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 28th 2003 at 4:14 am.

Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:47 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Not advocating going and standing in the sun.....nor not using sun tan cream...but a tan, or darker skin does afford protection against the sun, to varying degrees.

If you have a tan your skin has built up levels of melanin which are the bodies natural defence against UV radiation. Thats why black people are black, and naturally inhabit hotter climes, and white people are white, and are from more temperate areas.

Yes dark skinned people still get cancers....

If you go out....anywhere....and get burnt, you increase your chances of getting skin cancer (including the UK).

And anyone who spends prolonged periods of time in the sun, especially in a higher UV area like aus, without sun block (not suntanning cream) on needs thier head checked (aswell as thier skin).
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Not advocating going and standing in the sun.....nor not using sun tan cream...but a tan, or darker skin does afford protection against the sun, to varying degrees.

If you have a tan your skin has built up levels of melanin which are the bodies natural defence against UV radiation. Thats why black people are black, and naturally inhabit hotter climes, and white people are white, and are from more temperate areas.

Yes dark skinned people still get cancers....

If you go out....anywhere....and get burnt, you increase your chances of getting skin cancer (including the UK).

And anyone who spends prolonged periods of time in the sun, especially in a higher UV area like aus, without sun block (not suntanning cream) on needs thier head checked (aswell as thier skin).
Right I am going to sound really ignorant about this...but my understanding about skin colour is that dark or light it depends on many other factors not just black (and not why black people are black etc ) or white and bugger all to do with Melonin amount....therefore never mind how (supposedly skin colour came about, a few millenium ago) we are all at risk from the sun and the major damage can be caused at a youthful age - getting burnt - therefore cover and sun cream masks are very very important for all young children wherever you go in the world.

Even at older age - skin colour is of no importance - the sun is damaging.

Short long bursts ((like two week med holiday at young age without protection can be as damaging (if not more)) than day to day exposure with proper protection. My understanding is that the majority of Skin cancers in Aus are amongst the older age group and they are now combating this for all by raising awareness for new and old aussie inhabitants. Obviously not to say skin awareness is not needed in all groups - but tell me how many UK kids get taken abroad and get a factor 40 smeared on once to do them all day! While Mum with the AbroSoliare goes and bakes.

My two have had UV suits from an early age on the beach, UK, Med and now AUS, in fact 13 year old wears his as standard as kids here know the benefits - his is called a Rashie - stops skin burn from the surf/body board but is 100% UV resistant. I have had moles removed prior to coming to Aus.

Just trying to say, never mind coming to Aus with its greater sun factor?, get real before, cover your kids wherever you are! The rates of skin cancer are increasing world wide not just here - and check out socio economic factors as well, they have also alot to do with holiday mentality and sun bathing - not bloody colour of skin.

Sorry for sounding like I am on the back of your post, but tans cover/protect shit all as does colour of skin at the end of the day if you get over exposed - usually meaning a tan (skin protecting itself) you are damaging your cells. Get sunlight by all means it is a form of certain vitamins for our body growth - a tan is not!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.