do you hate the rain??!!

Wikiposts

do you hate the rain??!!

Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do you hate the rain??!!

Originally posted by Amazulu
My brother is also in Iraq, he says that it is constantly above 40c with the occasional sand storm thown in, I bet they would like a nice bit of rain !. There are 40 men to a tent with no a/c. The yanks down the road have everything air conditioned & have a pool & leisure centre that the Brits can use, shows you what the MOD thinks of it's soldiers. Paul says that they deserve to use the yank's facilities as they are always getting them out of the shit.

Why did the British troops then have to bail the Danes out who came totally and utterly unprepared for the conditions in Iraq and were bailed out by the Brits, lent air cons, fridges that could work in those temps, even trucks that didn''t break down?

If your brother says that's the way it is I'm sure it's right, not doubting him, I've just read the other story as well, the Danes would really have been up the creek, well they were, without the British troops.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:32 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
The yanks down the road have everything air conditioned & have a pool & leisure centre that the Brits can use, shows you what the MOD thinks of it's soldiers. Paul says that they deserve to use the yank's facilities as they are always getting them out of the shit.
Boy - those Yanks were damn quick with the construction contracts. They've only been there 3 months and already have got the pool and bowling sorted. Sure they didn't, er, commandeer what was already there!!! Can't blame the MOD (motto: we look after our people, especially our scientists) for this one.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 8:19 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I hate the actual rain....but there are two things about it I love.

1) the smell when its just finished a heavy shower.

2) the way it makes stuff green
Old Jul 25th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
No, I love the British weather. We are LUCKY to live in a country where we can get on with our daily lives without being extremely hot or extremely cold most of the time. British love to moan about the weather and dream of sunshine. Having lived under the blazing Aussie sun I no longer see the attraction - I'd rather be comfortable than too hot/coated in sun cream under the costant threat of mosquitos and tropical disease. We should celebrate our British weather, not moan about it - we have amongst the most comfortable climates, and certainly the most comfortable living conditions, on the whole planet.
You are either joking or you have a screw loose. The british weather is SHIT. I lived all my life in Britain and I couldn't wait to get away from the dizzle, the lashing rain, the chill wind etc etc (and that's just in summer !).

I now live in Brisbane and I've never been anywhere with such perfect weather. Last night was about as cold as it gets (an exceptionally low 5 degrees). It's 6am now and warming up nicely. The forecast is for 20-21 degrees and clear blue skies again - and it's the middle of winter. Autumn and winter are about 25 degrees with mainly fresh blue skies and summer averages 29 degrees but can get into the mid thirties and slightly sticky occasionally. I certainly have no 'tropic diseases' to worry about and we get mossies for about 4 months only. And, it is a myth to claim that you have to cake yourself in suncream. I only wear it occasionally and that's just on the beach. Nobody forces you to take your clothes off in the midday sun. Ever heard of a hat, a sunshirt, or the shadow of a tree ?

The reason the British moan about the weather is because it is the scurge of Britain. Only Ireland and the Falkland Islands have worse weather than Britain.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Well France have quite appalling weather as the holiday we were supposed to be going on this Sunday has been cancelled due to the damage the recent storms caused and also the fact the place has flooded. But don`t worry they had good news we could still go in 10 days time......................... and have the final four days of our holiday. Oh great it only takes app 8 hours to drive to the resort.

For what its worth i also live on the south east coast and it has rained all day. We have had some great weather recently but for July it is pretty appalling.

footie chick
Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
I couldn't wait to get away from the dizzle, the lashing rain, the chill wind etc etc (and that's just in summer !).
LOL
Old Jul 25th 2003, 10:41 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
You are either joking or you have a screw loose. The british weather is SHIT. I lived all my life in Britain and I couldn't wait to get away from the dizzle, the lashing rain, the chill wind etc etc (and that's just in summer !).

I think you need to see a doctor, as you must apparently melt in the rain! (thats a joke btw). Personally I agree with Herman... the rain doesn't bother me at all, and has the pleasing effect of making the UK extremely green and pleasant.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The UK has a lot of plusses but weather most def is NOT one of them. When you get good weather in the UK their are few places as good the problem is that happens so infrequently.

How many times do you plan a trip, holiday in the Uk for it to rain, cold, windy, etc, are you trying to tell me you wouldn't have a better time if it was fine weather. Why do most people take holidays in July and August if weather is immaterial. On a good weather weekend the roads are chocka with traffic (I mean more than usual), on a wet weekend you can generally get around.

I've been out here 10 years now and I STILL love going down to the beach (in Brisbane year round), I agree it's not for everone but if you like the outdoors, water sports, hiking geting away from the crowds, this is the place for you.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 2:59 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
The UK has a lot of plusses but weather most def is NOT one of them. When you get good weather in the UK their are few places as good the problem is that happens so infrequently.

How many times do you plan a trip, holiday in the Uk for it to rain, cold, windy, etc, are you trying to tell me you wouldn't have a better time if it was fine weather. Why do most people take holidays in July and August if weather is immaterial. On a good weather weekend the roads are chocka with traffic (I mean more than usual), on a wet weekend you can generally get around.

I've been out here 10 years now and I STILL love going down to the beach (in Brisbane year round), I agree it's not for everone but if you like the outdoors, water sports, hiking geting away from the crowds, this is the place for you.

Beach , beach ,beach , beach is that it , learn about the country that kicked you out, by the way most in the UK can now float holidays to suit themselves.
The UK attracts 22 million tourists a year , Australia less than 4 million , Why , because Australia is the pits?

http://www.visitbritain.com/

http://www.visitengland.com/visitengland/default.htm

http://www.host.co.uk/

http://www.visitwales.com//script/co...U5MzYxMzQyOjo6
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Beach , beach ,beach , beach is that it , learn about the country that kicked you out, by the way most in the UK can now float holidays to suit themselves.
The UK attracts 22 million tourists a year , Australia less than 4 million , Why , because Australia is the pits?
I know as much about the UK as you do maybe more, and I'm NOT knocking it, but to say it has great weather is a laugh, unless you like it wet, cold and windy most of the time.
Nobody in their right mind would travel to the UK for a sunny beach holiday, they go their for what is special about UK, culture, history, shopping, pomp and ceremony, etc. and for these their are none better.
How much do you know about Australia if you think it's only beaches, you are sadly misguided, try the Blue Mountains, Kakadu, the freshwater lakes on the offshore sand islands, the national parks behind the GC and SC. Try exploreing the country that you have called home for the last 9 years, or do you prefer to spend all your time inside boozeing.

The reason that more tourists go to the Uk is because everywhere is closer, what is it a 10 min train ride now from France, here the closet country is NZ and that is a 3 hour flight.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I know as much about the UK as you do maybe more, and I'm NOT knocking it, but to say it has great weather is a laugh, unless you like it wet, cold and windy most of the time.
Nobody in their right mind would travel to the UK for a sunny beach holiday, they go their for what is special about UK, culture, history, shopping, pomp and ceremony, etc. and for these their are none better.
How much do you know about Australia if you think it's only beaches, you are sadly misguided, try the Blue Mountains, Kakadu, the freshwater lakes on the offshore sand islands, the national parks behind the GC and SC. Try exploreing the country that you have called home for the last 9 years, or do you prefer to spend all your time inside boozeing.

The reason that more tourists go to the Uk is because everywhere is closer, what is it a 10 min train ride now from France, here the closet country is NZ and that is a 3 hour flight.
There are beaches world wide some in warmer countries than Australia so the draw of traveling to Australia to sit on one is not pulling the punters (tourists).
I have traveled over a good part of the Uk and Europe but still have a lifetime of traveling to do to cover just the UK.
Australia is vast and and things change little over a long distance the Red centre here is not worth a weekend all the best parts are close to the coast , I would rather see Europe or North America as would most of the rest of the world including Aussies who can be found hanging out in London .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 27th 2003 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have traveled over a good part of the Uk and Europe but still have a lifetime of traveling to do to cover just the UK.
Australia is vast and and things change little over a long distance the Red centre here is not worth a weekend all the best parts are close to the coast.
If you cannot see the differences between Tasmania, The Red Centre and Darwin, (to name but 3 ) you've obviously been spending to much time in your local.
I still have plenty of travel left in me as well, but I intend spending it exporeing Australia and NZ, as the climate, lifestyle and people suit me better than Europe.
I'm not saying theirs anything wrong with Europe or USA, just that I prefer it down here, and as I've been here 10 years I think I know what I'm talking about. Their is not just one thing their is a whole range of things to take into account and the decision is different for different people.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:50 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are beaches world wide some in warmer countries than Australia so the draw of traveling to Australia to sit on one is not pulling the punters (tourists).
Australia is vast and and things change little over a long distance the Red centre here is not worth a weekend all the best parts are close to the coast , I would rather see Europe or North America as would most of the rest of the world including Aussies who can be found hanging out in London .

Lived here 40+ years.

Never been to Ayers Rock (it's a rock), never been to Alice Springs (it's a small down renown for?), never been to Darwin (it's a small city renown for?). Seen a gum tree, seen 'em all. Seen a beach, seen 'em all.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:54 pm
Banned

If you cannot see the differences between Tasmania, The Red Centre and Darwin, (to name but 3 ) you've obviously been spending to much time in your local.
I still have plenty of travel left in me as well, but I intend spending it exporeing Australia and NZ, as the climate, lifestyle and people suit me better than Europe.
I'm not saying theirs anything wrong with Europe or USA, just that I prefer it down here, and as I've been here 10 years I think I know what I'm talking about. Their is not just one thing their is a whole range of things to take into account and the decision is different for different people.
Just start me motor up and see these wonderful places , will cost me a packet in time and fuel but who cares its only time and lots of cash.
Australia is far to limited for us and has little that worth the effort , southern Europe has a climate that equals Perth and has a far more varied lifestyle , one word sums up Australias lifestyle , Bland.

Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:01 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
Lived here 40+ years.

Never been to Ayers Rock (it's a rock), never been to Alice Springs (it's a small down renown for?), never been to Darwin (it's a small city renown for?). Seen a gum tree, seen 'em all. Seen a beach, seen 'em all.
Answer the Question why does Australia attract such a small number of punters for its tourist trade because as "Big Billy " said come to Australia and see nothing and lots of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.