Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you get bombarded with marketing calls?

Do you get bombarded with marketing calls?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:55 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you get bombarded with marketing calls?

Since getting connected with Telstra in April, we get on average 2 calls a night from people wanting to sell me wine, the chance to win a boat, free months trial for a gym membership, austar, would i like to host a tupperware party!!!... you name it, we get it
getting a bit p**ed off now. i mean in the UK we did get the odd one which i didnt mind but here its just pathetic !!!
Does anyone else have this problem?
In the UK we registered with TPS, tele preference service (or something like that) does australia have any equivilent ????
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:10 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get bombarded with marketing calls?

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Since getting connected with Telstra in April, we get on average 2 calls a night from people wanting to sell me wine, the chance to win a boat, free months trial for a gym membership, austar, would i like to host a tupperware party!!!... you name it, we get it
getting a bit p**ed off now. i mean in the UK we did get the odd one which i didnt mind but here its just pathetic !!!
In the UK we registered with TPS, tele preference service (or something like that) does australia have any equivilent ????

Yes there is something to get your name taken off lists, but do not know what or who it is. Someone will know.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:13 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I get at least 4 a day here in Wales....I always say now "hang on"..then leave the receiver off the hook for at least an hour,or untill I remember to replace it,they cant put it down their side!!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

If you prefer not to have any personalised direct mail sent to you at all, call the ADMA toll free number 1800 646 664. They will add your name to a database of deletions that is distributed to their members on a regular basis

This also covers telephone marketing. That info from: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/sh...marketing.html

Australian Direct Marketing Association (ADMA)

ADMA can be contacted on:
Telephone: (02) 9368 0366
Fax: (02) 9368 0866

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:08 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
We dont get marketting calls we get people ringing and asking for a Lorraine or Steve! We have been rung numerous times and it is bl**dy annoying!!! So I can sort of empathise with you!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:16 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meelie
We dont get marketting calls we get people ringing and asking for a Lorraine or Steve! We have been rung numerous times and it is bl**dy annoying!!! So I can sort of empathise with you!
We get marketing calls. Somtimes its not even a person, its a recording.

Hang up. Thats all i do. Thats pretty much all you can do.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:18 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
We get marketing calls. Somtimes its not even a person, its a recording.

Hang up. Thats all i do. Thats pretty much all you can do.
Suppose you could tell them not very politely to go away and hang up! Might make you feel better eh!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Not over there yet, but I get them all the time here in the UK. They seem to be getting more frequent as well. Have tried saying I'm not interested but this one bloke Alex, called me back 3 times the other night. Was really starting to p**s me off. I think he got the message in the end, haven't heard from him since.

It's not the fact of them ringing in the first place that annoys me it's that they wont take no for an answer and try to get you to listen to their whole sales pitch!!!

Tracey
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:03 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Not over there yet, but I get them all the time here in the UK. They seem to be getting more frequent as well. Have tried saying I'm not interested but this one bloke Alex, called me back 3 times the other night. Was really starting to p**s me off. I think he got the message in the end, haven't heard from him since.

It's not the fact of them ringing in the first place that annoys me it's that they wont take no for an answer and try to get you to listen to their whole sales pitch!!!

Tracey
We got fed up with this sort of thing too and registered with TPS (?) since then (it takes 28 days to action though) we haven`t had any problems.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:35 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ask for a silent number when you signed up with Telstra? We did (although we're with AAPT rather than Telstra) - although we pay an extra couple of $'s a month for the privilege we haven't had any marketing/nuisance calls (so far as I can remember) since we've been in Australia ...

Best regards.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice

Just tell them your busy, ask for their home number and tell them you'll call later on that night.When they tell you its not possible for them to give you their home number, ask why,dont you like receiving business calls on your personal phone?
When they say they dont, say neither do i and hang up.
Say this on Seinfeld and taught it was funny as!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:01 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
We got fed up with this sort of thing too and registered with TPS (?) since then (it takes 28 days to action though) we haven`t had any problems.
We also registered but were still getting calls through so NTL put us on ex directory and call barring. If you dial and with hold the number you get a message up saying ' sorry the person you are calling does not accept anonymous calls, please redial without with holding your number'. Has this worked, has it heck. We still get b****y calls,
Sarah
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Due to the nature of my husbands job, we have always had a silent number wherever we have lived. Rarely ever get these calls, although, today i did get some guy in India trying to sell life insurance but i was too slow to think of asking where he got the number.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
We also registered but were still getting calls through so NTL put us on ex directory and call barring. If you dial and with hold the number you get a message up saying ' sorry the person you are calling does not accept anonymous calls, please redial without with holding your number'. Has this worked, has it heck. We still get b****y calls,
Sarah
You might get one or two who use an old directory but if you get any calls, simply ask their name, company name and tell them you will be reporting them to TPS as what they are doing is illegal. I have been signed up for about three years now and got one I reported, TPS told them off. Have had no others except one who had got my name out of the phonebook. He was trying to sell conservatories. I told him I sold conservatories as well, he put the phone down.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The annoying thing here is that you have to pay to have a "silent number".
Our phone line is almost permanently connected to the internet when we are home, but its quite noticeable that if I have a weekday off work, and the net is not connected by about 9am,te phone will start ringing.

I have found that the Indian call centres get confused when I answer with an English accent, and its easy to convinvce them they have rung the UK by mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.