Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you get all your tax back?

Do you get all your tax back?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road
Default Do you get all your tax back?

I've been told that you get back all the tax you paid in your first year in Australia. Does anyone know if this is true? I will contact the tax office tomorrow, but thought i'd ask on here because someone always knows the answer. Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get all your tax back?

No.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It may appear you get a lot back if you've not been here a year when you do the tax return but that's only because they calculate the yearly amount of tax and then take off 12 lots (if monthly). You then get back what you've overpaid but you certainly don't get it all back.

That was written by a 'normal person' not a finance person
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It may appear you get a lot back if you've not been here a year when you do the tax return but that's only because they calculate the yearly amount of tax and then take off 12 lots (if monthly). You then get back what you've overpaid but you certainly don't get it all back.

Didn't think it was true. Some people exaggerate so much. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Employers deduct tax in a different way to the UK system, and this often gives rise to a tax refund at the end of the year.

The reason for this is that the Australian Tax Office has adopted a simpler system of allowing 1/12 of the annual threshold for every month, (or 1/52 if paid weekly).

This means that if someone does not work every week of the year, they temporarily miss out on that weeks threshold allowance, until the end of the year.

The UK system works on a cumulative basis, and calculates tax pretty accurately every week/month.

An example of the effect of this for someone who only works here for 6 months would be:

Based on a $120,000 annual salary, that would be$10,000 per month...

Gross Tax Calculated at:

First $500 tax free
Next $2,333 at 15% = $350
Next $3,833 at 30% = $1,150
Next $3,334 at 40% = $1,333
Total tax = $2,833 per month or $16,998 for that period of 6 months.

However, at the end of the year, the correct figures for a gross wage of $60,000 would be:

$3,000 tax free
$14,000 at 15% = $2,100
$46,000 at 30% = $13,800
Total Tax Due $15,900

A Tax Refund of the difference, $1,098 would be paid after the tax return is submitted.

This figure would often be higher, after other tax allowances are also taken into effect...

Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Employers deduct tax in a different way to the UK system, and this often gives rise to a tax refund at the end of the year.

The reason for this is that the Australian Tax Office has adopted a simpler system of allowing 1/12 of the annual threshold for every month, (or 1/52 if paid weekly).

This means that if someone does not work every week of the year, they temporarily miss out on that weeks threshold allowance, until the end of the year.

The UK system works on a cumulative basis, and calculates tax pretty accurately every week/month.

An example of the effect of this for someone who only works here for 6 months would be:

Gross Tax Calculated at:

First $500 tax free

However, at the end of the year, the correct figures for a gross wage of $60,000 would be:

$3,000 tax free
$14,000 at 15% = $2,100
$46,000 at 30% = $13,800
Total Tax Due $15,900

A Tax Refund of the difference, $1,098 would be paid after the tax return is submitted.

This figure would often be higher, after other tax allowances are also taken into effect...

Thanks for that ABC, i've just noticed that you live in the same suburb as me. It's a small world!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

And i've also just noticed that i haven't changed my details yet!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Am I right in thinking that every single person working has to submit a tax return? Not just self-employed people?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Am I right in thinking that every single person working has to submit a tax return? Not just self-employed people?
Yes.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Thanks. I thought so. I guess I will definitely carry on my direct sales stuff in Oz then if I'm having to help my husband with a tax return anyway, might as well do one myself too.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bradburns2
Thanks for that ABC, i've just noticed that you live in the same suburb as me. It's a small world!
In that case, if you need help with your tax return in July, I am nice and close

There are a lot of us in this area aren't there.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Post of the Year ...

Originally Posted by bradburns2
I've been told that you get back all the tax you paid in your first year in Australia. Does anyone know if this is true? I will contact the tax office tomorrow, but thought i'd ask on here because someone always knows the answer. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Gross Tax Calculated at:

First $500 tax free

$3,000 tax free
$14,000 at 15% = $2,100
$46,000 at 30% = $13,800
Total Tax Due $15,900

Hey dont fancy doing our accounts for this year do you!!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Even people who don't work?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hey dont fancy doing our accounts for this year do you!!!
You'd be surprised how many people ask me that

But I am not registered to do tax now, which means that although I can still do tax returns, I am not allowed to charge for doing them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.