Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you feel like an Alien??

Do you feel like an Alien??

Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:41 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you feel like an Alien??

My husbands biggest fear is that when we move to Oz, we feel like and are treated like immigrants??

He bases his fear on when he was travelling round Oz few years ago now, he worked at this place for a bit where the Australians HATED the english and they were really nasty to him and think it mentally scarred him!! Bless!!

For those already there do you have any experiences with the way Australian People feel about Brits Moving out there to live??
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:42 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you feel like an Alien??

No thanks have just eaten
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by toon williams
My husbands biggest fear is that when we move to Oz, we feel like and are treated like immigrants??

He bases his fear on when he was travelling round Oz few years ago now, he worked at this place for a bit where the Australians HATED the english and they were really nasty to him and think it mentally scarred him!! Bless!!

For those already there do you have any experiences with the way Australian People feel about Brits Moving out there to live??
well the adverts do clarify if a product is truly australia!

this seems very important to the Australian market???

my sister and her family moved to Sydney 3 years ago and have not had any problems at all

Tara
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it really matters whether or not you feel like an alien...so long as it's not an illegal one....
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:57 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Your hubby, needs to toughen up. Aussies take the piss. Thats what they excel at. I have been called a pommie more times than i remember, but im my experience, its all in jest.

I havn't encountered ANY malice from any Australians, and i live in a rural area, where racism is pretty rife. You just have to give as good as you get and let the pommie jokes bounce off. Theres only person who i've met out here who was a bit nasty and apparently didn't like me because im English. He's a Scot
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

I think the best Aussies to meet are ones who have travelled themselves.
They know the score & how difficult it is to travel.

There is lively banter & sometimes it goes OTT. I did experience alot of arragant people in Sydney but thats a large city mentality & have also saw this in London/New York.

Im getting to feel like an alien with my friends in UK. I spoke last week about leaving & working over in Oz & was looked at like I was out of my mind.
Going that far away from everyone, most dont realise that I did it before & can handle it fine. It makes decision making so much harder when most responses are "itll never happen" or "youll bottle it" even though Ive spend 1 year away 2 years ago!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:04 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeteY
Your hubby, needs to toughen up. Aussies take the piss. Thats what they excel at. I have been called a pommie more times than i remember, but im my experience, its all in jest.
Malc has already warned me to expect a good ribbing, he says it's their way of sussing out if you're someone who can have a laugh like them or a whingeing pom.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:05 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY

I havn't encountered ANY malice from any Australians, and i live in a rural area, where racism is pretty rife. You just have to give as good as you get and let the pommie jokes bounce off. Theres only person who i've met out here who was a bit nasty and apparently didn't like me because im English. He's a Scot

Without going into lots of details it was alot more than taking the piss he endured!! When it comes to taking the Piss my husband is top of the league and is very capable of holding his own!! And standing at over 6 ft he is certainly more "tough" than weak as you put it!!

But this was an isolated case, he was there in Oz for 18 months and didnt experience it again, but the unfortunate thing is it happened in Adelaide which is where we are looking to settle!!

So just checking what others views were!!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:08 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmartyos
I think the best Aussies to meet are ones who have travelled themselves.
They know the score & how difficult it is to travel.

There is lively banter & sometimes it goes OTT. I did experience alot of arragant people in Sydney but thats a large city mentality & have also saw this in London/New York.

Im getting to feel like an alien with my friends in UK. I spoke last week about leaving & working over in Oz & was looked at like I was out of my mind.
Going that far away from everyone, most dont realise that I did it before & can handle it fine. It makes decision making so much harder when most responses are "itll never happen" or "youll bottle it" even though Ive spend 1 year away 2 years ago!

Well I think you got guts mate. Do what you wanna do, it's your life if you wanna go on the other side of the world and start a new life do it. A big adventure awaits you, it may or may not work out but, at least you gave it ago. You sound like a very strong person and I think you will do great.
Good luck with your new life, if you have any problems in Oz come on here and ask questions everyone is here to help.

Jim
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:10 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Without going into lots of details it was alot more than taking the piss he endured!! When it comes to taking the Piss my husband is top of the league and is very capable of holding his own!! And standing at over 6 ft he is certainly more "tough" than weak as you put it!!

But this was an isolated case, he was there in Oz for 18 months and didnt experience it again, but the unfortunate thing is it happened in Adelaide which is where we are looking to settle!!

Sure. I wasn't trying to trivialise what happened to your hubby when you were here last.

Im just letting you know that you will get some stick, just let it bounce off. I would say that piss taking being malicious is a pretty rare occurance.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:14 am
aussie73

Their all Aliens over in Adelaide, perhaps you should move somewhere else.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

they certainly do take the piss!thats just the way they are everything is said in jest. when my husband worked there for a while (on a building site) some bloke called him a ******. which he thought was well out of order untill he realised thats what they call each other! i think it means they like you if they call you a ******!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:24 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I think he had one off bad experience if it's as bad as you say. but in general, I don't think it's any worse than any of the piss-taking I've had to endure as an Aussie in Britain...."yoghurt has more culture", "which bar to you work in", "you must be good at sport" EVERYONE (including strangers) gloating over the occasional sporting victory over the Aussies (and people say Aussies are competitive/sport obsessed ) that kind of thing...

Michelle
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:35 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Hey what do you mean by Brits moving out there to live?

Do you know how the economy runs... It does not matter till you are talented and contributing to the economy
Well to say I am from India, but you better blonde or white...
I am in Melbourne, Well but trust me never ever encountered problems out here not even a slightest. I have just strarted applying for jobs, and the response was wonderful. No one ever mentioned as a Migrant or a outsider. The fear for your husband is natural, but you need to be here to know! Meet with almost many people (natives, aboriginal and migrants). But my experince is pretty good.
No bad remarks (in front or behind). They are there to help you Unlike my expereience in US.. But, I feel few experience should not a conclusion, US experience was pretty good expect few.
So just keep the faith and just go Ahead.
All the best. Good Luck.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

If your hubby had such a tough time with the aussies why does he want to live there I'm married to an Aussie and work in an office with over 20 of them and its all good. It's just a bit of p*ss taking, nothing to worry about. You have to give as good as you get. I've been to Oz and never experienced anything nasty. Hope that helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.