Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do you ever get over leaving all thats familiar?

do you ever get over leaving all thats familiar?

Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of
Default do you ever get over leaving all thats familiar?

Do you ever get over feeling that you want whats been all so familiar in your life? Also the pull of your mates, who keep asking you to go home?

Nearly bought a ticket home this weekend but, am so in love with NZ as a whole that can't give it up! Anyone have any ideas for a happy medium?

Cheers!

Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:21 am
Linda Max

Hey Devonchick, sounds as if we are in the same boat. Send a pm if you want to chat.
Linda

Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Cestrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do you ever get over leaving all thats familiar?

I used to feel like this when I first moved to Oz (and sometimes still do). However, it does improve with time. I've just accepted that here is different to the UK. I try not to think of it in terms of better or worse - but just different.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If you can afford to why not go back for a visit?

My hubby has just been back and absolutely HATED it. He knows 1000% that we did the right thing moving out here and is certain he will never want to go back. Sometimes the picture you build up of what your life was like in England is unrealistic and a holiday back dispells all the myths! You know exactly why you left once you have returned.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Hi Linda!

nice to hear from you again! I private mailed you after yoyr last email to me, did you not recieve it?
Let me know and I will pm u again!

cya!

Deb
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all comments!

I totally love the lifestyle here as i'm originally from Devon and its back into the relaxed way of life as was there. I moved to essex for last 6 yrs prior to coming out here. Basically i have the ypnotic draw of my mates in essex but not so much my mates in Devon!

The quality of life , as in scenery and beaches etc and slower life pace are what I need and love, it's just the mates keep asking me to come home, and i think because we are finding it a struggle financially and alsoon the relationship, it blows everything else out of perspective!

Hey Linda, we should really be living in the same area, at least we could boost each other! Lol!

cheers all,really needed to know that i'm not the only one!

Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by tinaj

My hubby has just been back and absolutely HATED it. He knows 1000% that we did the right thing moving out here and is certain he will never want to go back. Sometimes the picture you build up of what your life was like in England is unrealistic and a holiday back dispells all the myths! You know exactly why you left once you have returned.
I know how he feels. I actually went back, and stayed for 4 years, but glad to have returned here again

England just wasn't the same, for me, as I had imagined it to be, after being away for some years.

Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj

I couldn't agree more. I think if more people just went back for a holiday rather than upping sticks and moving back when they felt a bit homesick there'd be a lot more happy migrants.

I've never been homesick and I didn't go back for a holiday till I'd been here for three years - but when I did it quickly dispelled any curiosity I might have had about life in England.

Nothing had changed there, no-one had done anything, no-one had been anywhere, weather was just as bad, traffic was just as awful - it was JUST the same as when I'd left. It's great to catch up with a few friends and family but after about a fortnight, the family starts taking you for granted, the niggling and backbiting starts and it's like you've never been away.

For me the novelty of living here has never worn off - whereas after about two weeks in England it always feels like I'm back to dull, boring normality.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

actually I believe the holiday theory can be a bit of a double edged sword.
I like my life here as a whole, but do miss friends and certain other things from back home.
When you go back for a holiday you quite naturally do all things and see all the people that you want to. this can have the effect of making you more homesick.

In my opinion a more valid use of the time would be to replicate certain negative aspects of living in the UK. say in my case going on holiday for 3 weeks and making sure you spent at least 2 hours of every day on the Northern Line.

Of course the salient point is that different things suit different people. I could list for hours on end negative points about England and Australia, and give anyone very good reasons for not living in either place. Its all a question of what works best for you...and what is best for you this year might change next year.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
actually I believe the holiday theory can be a bit of a double edged sword.
I like my life here as a whole, but do miss friends and certain other things from back home.
When you go back for a holiday you quite naturally do all things and see all the people that you want to. this can have the effect of making you more homesick.

In my opinion a more valid use of the time would be to replicate certain negative aspects of living in the UK. say in my case going on holiday for 3 weeks and making sure you spent at least 2 hours of every day on the Northern Line.

Of course the salient point is that different things suit different people. I could list for hours on end negative points about England and Australia, and give anyone very good reasons for not living in either place. Its all a question of what works best for you...and what is best for you this year might change next year.
I just typed a reply to this thread, then deleted it thinking it would be jumped on, but our trip to the UK in February left my family very unsettled in australia I wont list all the reasons just we were fairly happy till we saw the UK again, think all of us saw a lot of things we were missing out on, 3 months on cant say we have really settled down again, wish it was a bit closer or should that be cheaper! and we would be off for a second look. Reading some posts on the UK summer just before, considering we saw it in Cold old february cant help but wonder how much we would like it now.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:02 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I have not been here in Oz long nearly 4 months. I do not feel homesick as such and we both have jobs and a nice house/lifestyle here but I do wish sometimes we could just put our mates in a container and ship over here aswell as some family.

We are going back for a wedding next June just over a year of being here and I am looking forward to catching up with them all.

It is hard to call people as we only get chance on weekends (then we are busy) and during the week people are at work.

I don't want to forget my mates back home. My best mate is coming over in Nov for 3 weeks and I am busy planning where I will take her.

It must get easier over time the homesick missing friends but we are better off for the moment in Oz.

Jo
Old Jun 8th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree,

Here in NZ i feel is a healthier lifestyle for my family to grow up in, no smog as was in Essex, but the way of life that i was very fortunate to have in Devon, sadly couldn't afford to go back to live In Westcountry!

Also the schools encourage the kids to have a more sporty, healthy outlook, but do wonder if the UK education system is better.

All in all theres nothing nicer than getting in the jeep and taking a short drive to the beach, rather than have the kids hang around shopping malls, and just loitering around bored to tears. I think it should be compulsory that if you move so far from home that we get a seasons pass to go home for holidays or bring buddies out! If i went home for a hoilday i would be so torn as to where to stay, UK for mates and fam or NZ where I love as a whole! Certainly don't miss the way the UK seems to be heading, thats for sure.

I'm finally in a place that feels like home, apart form the friends, supermarkets, and better fashions! Spent 4 hrs looking for a hoody for my 15yr old last weekend and came away empty handed!