Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do UK TVs work in Australia?

Do UK TVs work in Australia?

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do UK TVs work in Australia?

Ok.. Have seen hundreds of facecious threads on just this topic, but never found the real answer...

The Grey Nomads have the shipping people coming in shortly... Do they bring the TVs with them????

And FYI I paid 79cts for a lettuce in spudshed this week
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:49 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UK TVs work in Australia?

the tv will work fine but the sound wont unless you put it through foxtel or a free view box

tvs are pretty cheap over here do they want to pay the shipping cost?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
the tv will work fine but the sound wont unless you put it through foxtel or a free view
Not necessarily true, ours worked fine after we fiddled with the settings and no box was required - from what I remember we actually changed it to the european setting from the menu. Its a daewoo wide screen and when we got the LCD we moved it to the spare-room.
True tellys are very cheap here but if they have the space then bring it - worst case they ditch it after they get here.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:08 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Not necessarily true, ours worked fine after we fiddled with the settings and no box was required - from what I remember we actually changed it to the european setting from the menu. Its a daewoo wide screen and when we got the LCD we moved it to the spare-room.
True tellys are very cheap here but if they have the space then bring it - worst case they ditch it after they get here.
that's handy
sorry Eddie you are back to uncertainty
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
How cheap? Are they cheaper than the UK?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:30 pm

jb hifi has a 32 inchhigh definition lcd tv for $300 it also has one on special for $199 but that is probably an obsolete one
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Our newer tv worked, but if they have an old humungous sized non digital, they might have a problem. If it is only a few years or less old, then bring it. If not, donate it and get a super-dooper one out here. BUT there still might be a problem.

We found that our telly was too small for the size of the room, so it got consigned to the study and is used by DD when she wants to watch DVDs. Luckily the vendor had left us a 50" plasma on the wall.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 3:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
How cheap? Are they cheaper than the UK?
Generally, yes.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ok.. Have seen hundreds of facecious threads on just this topic, but never found the real answer...

The Grey Nomads have the shipping people coming in shortly... Do they bring the TVs with them????

And FYI I paid 79cts for a lettuce in spudshed this week
Unless you can change the settings on the TV ,no.Oz operates on the german PAL system,not UK PAL system.

A 29$ set top box fixes it,instead of changing channels on the TV,change channels on the set top box.

Bush have a good unit which has all digital channels and also a DAB+ tuner built in.Around 60$ at big W.

The set top box connects through the usual connections A/V,or PBY,scart or HDMI.

One day somebody will bring out a TV with digital tuner and DAB+ tuner.TEAC are usually good at spotting the obvious but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

geordie downunder
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:24 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans
Unless you can change the settings on the TV ,no.Oz operates on the german PAL system,not UK PAL system.

A 29$ set top box fixes it,instead of changing channels on the TV,change channels on the set top box.

Bush have a good unit which has all digital channels and also a DAB+ tuner built in.Around 60$ at big W.

The set top box connects through the usual connections A/V,or PBY,scart or HDMI.

One day somebody will bring out a TV with digital tuner and DAB+ tuner.TEAC are usually good at spotting the obvious but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

geordie downunder
Or you do what many have done, myself included, and tell your TV its in Germany
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

well our Oz TV works fine in UK but it is a flat screen.

Think the newer ones are OK but the cathode tube ones are not.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans

geordie downunder
We bought our TV from the UK, which has always been in a spare room and never used. Today, after almost 5 years my OH has tuned it in and it works perfectly without any set top box or Foxtel connection. The TV is approximately 6 years old.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

itshim is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on the make of the TV you have 3 possibilities.

A good quality TV will normally decide what country setting it needs and tune automatically.
OR
You may be able to change the TV settings to make it think its in Germany.
OR
You may have to buy a set top box or connect through cable or satalite.

Either way you should be able to get it working
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the replies... I'll pass the info on the the Grey Nomads... So they can decide whether they bring them or not... They have half a container so I'm thinking sling them on... We can always take a trip to the tip if they dont work...
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

Oh ridiculous question alert....I'm willing to take anything dished out in return...;-)

Just arrived in Oz lasr weekand I was at work moaning to a workmate that I'm missing tv in my new flat. I also mentioned that I hope to buy one soon but I could't see an ariel point in any of the rooms. My workmate claimed that was ok as I just buy a set top box..... surely not?? I still need to connect a tv to an ariel point yes???

Donty say I didn't warn you.......!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.