Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do UK driver license holders need to take an Aus driving test

Do UK driver license holders need to take an Aus driving test

Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough
Default Do UK driver license holders need to take an Aus driving test

I have a few questions about driving in Aus. I've looked on the Department of Transport website but can't find the answers to my questions so hoping someone on here can help.

I'm moving to South Australia and have a UK driving license. Can anyone tell me if I need to do an Australian driving test in order to obtain a SA driving license. I've read somewhere that people just exchange their UK one for an Aus one, is that right or does it all depend on the State that you're living in. Also am I right in thinking that UK license holders can drive on a UK license for the first 3 months in Aus?

When buying a car, I know the car has to be registered but wondered if Aus have the equivalent of an MOT and car tax?

Appreciate your replies!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UK driver license holders need to take an Aus driving test

Originally Posted by beachlady
I have a few questions about driving in Aus. I've looked on the Department of Transport website but can't find the answers to my questions so hoping someone on here can help.

I'm moving to South Australia and have a UK driving license. Can anyone tell me if I need to do an Australian driving test in order to obtain a SA driving license. I've read somewhere that people just exchange their UK one for an Aus one, is that right or does it all depend on the State that you're living in. Also am I right in thinking that UK license holders can drive on a UK license for the first 3 months in Aus?

When buying a car, I know the car has to be registered but wondered if Aus have the equivalent of an MOT and car tax?

Appreciate your replies!
No, you just swap your UK licence and some cash for an Aus one. You have 3 months to do it.

We have rego here. It's payable every 3 or 12 months (up to you) and included Compulsory Third Party insurance - only covers injury or death of another person, does not cover either car, or you.

You don't need to insure your car - but it is recommended.

You will have to pay stamp duty (not sure how much it is though) when you buy a car, and a transfer fee (I think it's $121, but not sure can't remember lol)

Might find this helpful
http://sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+...ying+a+vehicle
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wendy
No, you just swap your UK licence and some cash for an Aus one. You have 3 months to do it.

We have rego here. It's payable every 3 or 12 months (up to you) and included Compulsory Third Party insurance - only covers injury or death of another person, does not cover either car, or you.

You don't need to insure your car - but it is recommended.

You will have to pay stamp duty (not sure how much it is though) when you buy a car, and a transfer fee (I think it's $121, but not sure can't remember lol)

Might find this helpful
http://sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+...ying+a+vehicle
Thanks Wendy! When you say swap my UK license for the Aus one, would my UK license still be valid in the UK?

So they don't have MOT's or car tax in SA?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what type of visa you have.

If it's temporary you don't need an Aus licence.
If it's permanent residence it's as Wendy says.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy! When you say swap my UK license for the Aus one, would my UK license still be valid in the UK?

So they don't have MOT's or car tax in SA?
Mot's no. Although I have a service every 6 months - one is a minor service - check over and oil/filter change and the next is a major service - Service and Tune.

Car tax is called rego here. Basically the same thing only a lot cheaper - but the CTP makes up for that. My car cost $688 for 12 month. I also have (optional) fully comp insurance for $320 a year.

Originally Posted by Bix
Depends what type of visa you have.

If it's temporary you don't need an Aus licence.
If it's permanent residence it's as Wendy says.
Sorry, I looked it up and it's PR
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:30 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

No MOT's in SA, half the cars would be off the road if they did! They do have them elswhere and car dealers in SA go and buy the ones that fail - beware.

Enjoy SA, it's the best
Cooler
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

No MOT but do you have to get a Roadworthy Certificate when selling a car in SA?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
No MOT but do you have to get a Roadworthy Certificate when selling a car in SA?
nope
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No but they should do in my opinion.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No but they should do in my opinion.
Yep, mine too.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I agree.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Mot's no. Although I have a service every 6 months - one is a minor service - check over and oil/filter change and the next is a major service - Service and Tune.

Car tax is called rego here. Basically the same thing only a lot cheaper - but the CTP makes up for that. My car cost $688 for 12 month. I also have (optional) fully comp insurance for $320 a year.

Sorry, I looked it up and it's PR
Wendy, what's CTP?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments! Btw - are there any car dealerships that you recommend in SA or any you think should be avoided?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy, what's CTP?
Compulsory Third Party insurance. You have to have it, you get it with your rego.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments! Btw - are there any car dealerships that you recommend in SA or any you think should be avoided?
They're all pretty much the same. Just make sure that you go in with a figure and don't go above it. They will try to make you spend just that little bit more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.