Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do they get your name

do they get your name

Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:07 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default do they get your name

Does anyone else have trouble getting aussies to understand their name or any other word for that matter

Mine obviously is Kala kinda pronounced Carla and until today every person who has asked my name has come back with AHHH KYLA

Drives me a bit crazy but I supose there are a lot of Kyla's here and not many Carla's so it is to be expected.

I dont think it is my accent as I am from the South of England and have lived with an Aussie for near on 5 years now so have a bit of an Aussie twang .

I'm not whinging just bored waiting for a 1am check in and this is the sort of strange thing that has come into my head.

Kala
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: do they get your name

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Does anyone else have trouble getting aussies to understand their name or any other word for that matter

Mine obviously is Kala kinda pronounced Carla and until today every person who has asked my name has come back with AHHH KYLA

Drives me a bit crazy but I supose there are a lot of Kyla's here and not many Carla's so it is to be expected.

I dont think it is my accent as I am from the South of England and have lived with an Aussie for near on 5 years now so have a bit of an Aussie twang .

I'm not whinging just bored waiting for a 1am check in and this is the sort of strange thing that has come into my head.

Kala
Ha, well my name is "Fabienne" - pronounced Fa-bee-yen in French. Try and introduce yourself to an aussie with this name, they always go ah Fabien - or Fabio (and then add - the most beautiful man on earth - used to be a show i think)

I have seriously considered re-naming myself Sarah.

But then when ppl get to know me they think my name is really "exotic"
Might make me special in OZ. Here in Switzerland its dead boring and as usual as John!

good thread!!!

fabie
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JayDeee

Kala
My wife has the same problem even in the UK - her name is Shila (pronounced Sheila), for which she'll no doubt take some stick when we get to Oz.

But almost everyone insists on calling her Shyla or Shiller. I guess once they've seen it written down they make up their own mind about how it's pronounced and just don't listen to how SHE pronounces it.

Phil
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:53 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
- or Fabio (and then add - the most beautiful man on earth - fabie

oooooer.....i remember him, he was bluddy lovely!!!!

im a suzanne, and usually get called susan, even when ive spelt my name out and emphasized the '-zanne' bit!

hehe....good thread kala, and it is wierd what strikes you as interesting when you are up at all hours! I was wondering if aussie houses had guttering and drain pipes on them, cos i couldnt remember seeing any on the real estate sites i keep looking at! well, it was 4am.......

sue
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:57 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I have enough trouble getting people in the UK to read / say my name.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:03 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Same here I get called Frasier amongst other things that look like this *****
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Same here I get called Frasier amongst other things that look like this *****
Do you have your own radio show in Seattle?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:10 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have your own radio show in Seattle?
I'm listening
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
I'm listening
Can you fix me up on a date with Niles please!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see me having many problems.

Tracey
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:44 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

You woldn't think there was a problem with Anne, but when I was young and went to France on holiday a whole bunch of French kids laughed at me because it means "donkey" there. Oh so I was told
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
You woldn't think there was a problem with Anne, but when I was young and went to France on holiday a whole bunch of French kids laughed at me because it means "donkey" there. Oh so I was told
Nice one. I bet you were gutted

Tracey
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:02 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

...so is your full name Bridget??? ...or have I got the wrong end of the stick??
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:06 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

When Jonah was about one, we went on holidays to Turkey for a fortnight & everytime a Turk said "Oh beautiful baby boy... name?" We said "Jonah" and they looked at us really puzzled & said "Joanna... a girl?" We got sick to death of saying "NO JONAH!!!!!!!!" In the end, one turkish guy started calling him "Josh" and it kinda stuck for the rest of the holidays... LOL
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:15 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Dolly Daydream

Difficult one, I know....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.