Reload this Page >

do they discriminate?

do they discriminate?

Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:41 am
Just Joined

KOREMAO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do they discriminate?

guys,

im asian, i happen to be "vertically challenged" - i'm shorter that the average asian males - i stand only at 5 feet / 152 cm. i have a bachelors degree and i'm now working on my MBA. Like most of you in this forum - i too am planning to go to australia - now my question is, especially for those already in Australia or has experience working in Australia: do you think my being short will be a problem come job hunting time? do australian discrimate against asians at work? what laws are in placed if there ever are, that gives protection or equal employment opportunities to guys like me who are on the "short side"?

or should i just totally drop the plan and enjoy the company of my fellow shorter countrymen and forever be stuck with whatever my country can offer?

care to share your thoughts (violent or otherwise are welcome)?
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:13 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: do they discriminate?

Originally Posted by KOREMAO
guys,

im asian, i happen to be "vertically challenged" - i'm shorter that the average asian males - i stand only at 5 feet / 152 cm. i have a bachelors degree and i'm now working on my MBA. Like most of you in this forum - i too am planning to go to australia - now my question is, especially for those already in Australia or has experience working in Australia: do you think my being short will be a problem come job hunting time? do australian discrimate against asians at work? what laws are in placed if there ever are, that gives protection or equal employment opportunities to guys like me who are on the "short side"?

or should i just totally drop the plan and enjoy the company of my fellow shorter countrymen and forever be stuck with whatever my country can offer?

Hi

I don't mean to be rude because I am sure you feel your height is a "negative". If you carry on like that you are really asking for it. Australians are not known for their tact and diplomacy, and do not make any apologies for it. What about people in wheelchairs and severe facial deformaties?

I was born with a weak eyelid muscle called a Ptosis, which is commonly known as a "lazy eye". I was bullied something terrible at school, and it has been mentioned in several places where I have worked. My philosophy in life is that there are always people worse off than yourself, at least I am fit and healthy. I hope my personality and confidence is what people see, not my lopsided eye!! You should try to turn all negatives into positives - all the best things come in small packages!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Rose12 is on a distinguished road

Hi Koremao,

Regarding to your post, I would like to say a few things:
1) Your capacity, ability and skills have nothing to do with the size of your body. It is the "size" of your mind which makes the difference.

The other day I saw a guy with just one leg skiing brilliantly and I though: oh God, I cannot keep myself stand up on a ski and I have two legs, how does this guy do these things with just one????
Well, the answer is simple: he believes in himself and knows he can do whatever he wants. if you have a will, you have the power. You can do whatever you believe you can. You are what you think you are. And people see you the same way you see yourself. If you think people will discriminate you coz you are short, you will be discriminated coz your mind will give you the impression that you are being discriminated even if you are not being discriminated.

It looks like those philosophies sold on self help books, but it is not. It is just the truth. So, my advice for you is: never think you worth less than others just because you are shorter. You are whatever you believe you are. And even if people say something that hurt you, it is not your problem. They have a problem with you but you should never have a problem with yourself. I know is easier saying but believe me, you can change the course of your life by changing your attitudes towards yourself.
So, remember this: you worth what you think you worth, you can what you think you can. So, stop worrying about your size. Instead, concentrate on your brain, on your qualilities, on your skills. Plan what you want to be and work for it. And I am sure you can achieve whatever you want in life.
Your mind is everything my friend. Put your mind to work on your side and you will see the changes happening.
cheers

guys,

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:42 am
wombat42

guys,

It is against the law to discriminate against you in Australia when you are appling for jobs on the basis of your race. l don't think you will be discriminated against because of your height unless you are appling for a job such as a Fireman or a Policeman.

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 30th 2004 at 7:48 am.

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
It is against the law to discriminate against you in Australia when you are appling for jobs on the basis of your race.
Which is near-impossible to prove.

In the real world, someone without self-esteem due to their race, height or any other unchangeable physical attribute will usually give off entirely the wrong signals in any interview and the view that person has of himself tends to be justified by events.

Most Australians will not discriminate on race grounds and will usually look to hire the person best for the job.

Usually a lot of what people think is racial discrimination is something based on something much more prosaic - eg lack of English language skills, local qualifications or social skills not attuned to the Australian norm. These are all things that can be remedied by someone serious about settling in Australia.

Strength of character can compensate for a lot.

Jeremy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:57 am
Just Joined

KOREMAO is an unknown quantity at this point

hello lucy! no offence taken! i have long accepted who i am and what i'm capable of, and no i'm not being negative, i'm just trying put myself where i should be realistically - coz no matter what other peple would say, it would still appear that i'm the odd man out, at least from my physical appearance!

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
Hi

I don't mean to be rude because I am sure you feel your height is a "negative". If you carry on like that you are really asking for it. Australians are not known for their tact and diplomacy, and do not make any apologies for it. What about people in wheelchairs and severe facial deformaties?

I was born with a weak eyelid muscle called a Ptosis, which is commonly known as a "lazy eye". I was bullied something terrible at school, and it has been mentioned in several places where I have worked. My philosophy in life is that there are always people worse off than yourself, at least I am fit and healthy. I hope my personality and confidence is what people see, not my lopsided eye!! You should try to turn all negatives into positives - all the best things come in small packages!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

it would still appear that i'm the odd man out, at least from my physical appearance!

You're 5' for heavens sake. What's the problem. I assume that where you work, there are a lot of taller people. But all around the world there are millions of people either the same height or smaller. We have a family of "midgets" living near here and they have no problem with work, being "accepted" etc. Think positive and you will give off positive vibes and not have any problems.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:34 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

hello lucy! no offence taken! i have long accepted who i am and what i'm capable of, and no i'm not being negative, i'm just trying put myself where i should be realistically - coz no matter what other peple would say, it would still appear that i'm the odd man out, at least from my physical appearance!
If you have accepted who you are then sod everyone else. It sounds like you are an intelligent person. I am sure you look around and everyone who is taller than you looks happier than you, the reality is that they probably aren't, everyone has hangups, some would like to be taller, others shorter, others would like nice feet and smaller noses. You have to deal with what you have.

Australia has anti-discrimination laws and I am sure that would not prevent you from getting a good job. Mickey taking in the workplace is something we all have to deal with, if you can take the rough with the smooth and have a sense of humour you will do fine.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

There're two types of discrimination you're talking about here.

1/ Racial discrimination - Australia is no more and no less racist towards Asians than any other country, the UK or the US. There are biggoted people everywhere and you may or may not come across them. My husband's heard some rather racist comments in Melbourne at a barber shop, but the barber is not representative of the population in Melbourne, in Victori, or in Australia. That did not put us off coming to Australia. Before we came to Brisbane we were told that it was the "redneck" state with some fairly racist people, but I have yet to meet any. And if I do meet them, I would just ignore them because they are just ignorant and unfortunate. I only ever feel sorry for them rather than get upset by them.

2/ Height/physical appearance discrimination - Well, to be very honest, everyone notices if you were shorter or different than the norm, whether you're in your own country or in Australia or anywhere in the world. You just have to accept that and hope people take you for what you are. If they don't, it's they loss, not yours. Be yourself and don't worry about what others think.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
(5'2" four-eyed Chinese married to a POM)
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:41 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there's people who dicriminate, but it's not 'common' practice I would think/hope!

Anyway, can't really help with this, just wanted to say, I work in a company here in Perth with probably 90% 'immigrants', including a lot of 'asians'.
The Chief Chemist is an Asian. The QC and QA(or whatever those initials are..) are asian. The head of another department is asian(and he's very short too). Plus a few others in 'higher' positions.

Mixed lot where I work, in management there are also 'poms', a New Zealander and a Fin.
In the rest of the company also quite a few Dutch people like myself

Anyway, if you've got the right attitude, the right skills etc, you'll be right (mate )!

Good luck!