Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Given that Corona and locally brewed "imported" beers that are nothing like their namesake are now so popular surely many Australians have completely lost the plot on beer.

They brew Coopers in South Australia probably the best brewery in the world and thankfully widely available in Queensland. Or the Gold Coast at least
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
JAnd the reason for the lemon/line in the top - to try to keep the flies away from the top in Mexico, nothing to do with taste.

Heinieken and Becks are made in Sydney by Tooheys as is XXXX Gold and Hahn.

Didn't know about the lime thing but interesting, could be handy here too, this one didn't cost $8 (more like $2) and at least its not made by Thooheys.

Originally Posted by neil248
Given that Corona and locally brewed "imported" beers that are nothing like their namesake are now so popular surely many Australians have completely lost the plot on beer.

They brew Coopers in South Australia probably the best brewery in the world and thankfully widely available in Queensland. Or the Gold Coast at least
Corona is brewed in Mexico, and I don't mind some of the local drops either, lets not get into beer snobbery please!

BUT - on what plannet is Coopers the best brewery in the world, have you even tried Czech beer

Last edited by freebo; Jan 16th 2011 at 5:29 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Corona is brewed in Mexico, and I don't mind the local drops either, lets not get into beer snobbery please![/QUOTE]

You are quite right, I tend to keep these opinions to myself when at bbq's incase I get thumped.

Still find it amusing though to hear people discussing the finer points of cleverly and cynically marketed ****.

Last edited by neil248; Jan 16th 2011 at 5:37 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BUT - on what plannet is Coopers the best brewery in the world, have you even tried Czech beer [/QUOTE]

Yea Ok getting out of my depth here, I imagine Czech beer as found in Europe is likely to blow away anything here in Australia. Coopers still make good beer though! should have said best brewery in Australia.

Last edited by neil248; Jan 16th 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Yea Ok getting out of my depth here, I imagine Czech beer as found in Europe is likely to blow away anything here in Australia. Coopers still make good beer though!
Could be a whole new thread "my best ever beer" - mine was just after arriving in Prague for the first time on a weekend stag party. Me & a good mate sat down in the bazing heat and asked the pretty but non-english speaking waitress for 2 beers (sign language was needed), she brought two icy half litres of Krusovice, just amazing.

There are better Czech brews but at that time & place it was perfect.

There is an interesting history of the Czech "Budwieser", which the americans stole the name for then successfully sued the original for copyright theft, its now called "Budvar" and is far, far (far) better than its US counterpart.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

One thing I have noticed living close to the QLD/NSW border is that you have to go very few kilometres into QLD and see very few NSW numberplates on the road. The state line seems fairly well defined in terms of vehicle movements.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

One thing I have noticed living close to the QLD/NSW border is that you have to go very few kilometres into QLD and see very few NSW numberplates on the road. The state line seems fairly well defined in terms of vehicle movements.
Having "landed" in Wollongong, I'll always be a New South Welshman no matter where I end up in Australia.

Support the Dragons and the Blues.
Will support any Sydney club playing against Broncos, Titans, Cowboys & Storm on a given weekend.
Don't have much time for AFL yet prefer to hear that the Swans won!
Support NSW Blues in Sheffield Shield.
While I don't care much for soccer (in Australia!), I still like to see Sydney FC win.

Never drink Toohey's though. Its Coopers Pale for me!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Although of course you do get asked by the folks back home whether you drive to work in a traction engine and enjoy brass bands
It's funny how quickly you get used to that. Beats being asked if you shag sheep that's for sure
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:44 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was the Tasmanians who had to listen to those sheep shagging questions.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by THR
I thought it was the Tasmanians who had to listen to those sheep shagging questions.
No no, that's the Kiwis you're thinking of
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Mexican, much more exotic and hence cool.
If that's what you consider cool...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Just for info..

Corona I beleive is imported from Mexico. Its a marketing man's dream...in Mexico its normally considered the cheap stuff that they give you in all inclusive hotels, over here through marketing they are knocking it out for $8+ a bottle in pubs! And the reason for the lemon/line in the top - to try to keep the flies away from the top in Mexico, nothing to do with taste.

Heinieken and Becks are made in Sydney by Tooheys as is XXXX Gold and Hahn.
Corona is piss in a bottle.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
which is complemented by the acidness of the lime slice you get with it
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:16 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If that's what you consider cool...
As stated earlier. Better than the alternatives

And it's cooler than someone with a stick up his arse
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

and VB is a superior beer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.