Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do rentals allow pets

do rentals allow pets

Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do rentals allow pets

I will be renting in melbourne and want to bring my 2 dogs over to oz with me. i have heard that landlords often dont allow pets. is it easy to find nice places that will?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do rentals allow pets

Before we bought our flat in Adelaide we were renting and we have 2 cats, a lot of people don't like pets in their rental properties and a lot of the time we secretly had our cats without our landlord knowing and got away with it. I think you will probably find it difficult to find somewhere that allows pets but it is possible, otherwise you just have to make sure your landlord doesn't find out and don't leave any signs of pets being there when you leave.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyfish1968
I will be renting in melbourne and want to bring my 2 dogs over to oz with me. i have heard that landlords often dont allow pets. is it easy to find nice places that will?
Yes some places allow pets, but having them limits choice.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I also read somewhere else on BE that the size of the property needs to big enough for two dogs. If it's not, then you'll get fined by the Local Council!

Best to check it out and remain legal, over and above your tenancy agreement.

EDIT: Not sure which state/territory.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 27th 2010 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Edit.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

hi not sure about oz but when we were in nz , all you had to do was offer to pay a bit more rent and have carpets professionally cleaned
we were accepted with two cats so try that it might help
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a landlord and don't allow pets.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I find it quite offensive that rentals dont allow pets especially when you get checked upon every few mths, most pets are cleaner than their owners!!!!

Bluekipper
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

amazulu, can i ask why you dont allow pets?
if i was to rent i would make sure that if my dogs caused any damage( which they dont) i would get it sorted proffesionally.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I find it quite offensive that rentals dont allow pets especially when you get checked upon every few mths, most pets are cleaner than their owners!!!!

Bluekipper
As property owner who rents out i find it offensive that people lie and bring their pets anyway. What about trust??? We have to hold up our side of the contract!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Ive never lied that I had a little dog when I have rented in Australia???

I will be renting my house out over here in the UK, I have no probs with a house trained pet, each to their own, its your choice as you are the owner, I am just saying that pets are part of the family for some ppl, so why would they be descriminated against? Its like saying you cant have children in a rented house, little kids could possibly make more mess, such as writing on the walls etc!!!

Bluekipper
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Or students! I'd much rather have had a responsible pet owner than two Greek mature students that trashed our flat!

Anyway, back to Melbourne - I've known lots of people rent with dogs here so you might just have to look around a bit longer to find a suitable place. Dog ownership in Victoria is quite high so maybe landlords here are a little more sympathetic.

Some rentals will say no pets in which case you know exactly where you stand but our current rental says that you have to apply to the landlord. Now when we asked the agent she said "no" in no uncertain terms but if we had wanted to go any further then I would have written to our landlord direct. I think some agents can't be bothered with the extra work so it's just easier for them to say no. As it turns out we should be moving into our own place later this year so will wait until then to get a furry friend. Also some rentals may state that the dogs don't go in the house. It's quite common here in VIC that dogs live in the yard and they think us Brits are weird for letting them live in the house!

With regard to number of pets to size of property, it does depend on the local council. In our shire if your block is under 500sqm then you can have 1 cat or dog, over that it's 2 working your way up to acerage where you can have a number of animals. We had a good laugh when it said that for properties up to 500 sqm we are only allowed to keep 2 domestic mice! Do the mice police come out if we dare to keep 3? What if one of the 3 mice were a wild mouse? I don't know who comes up with this stuff!

Anyway, all animals have to be registered with the local council and if you go over your quota of animals then you have to apply for extra licences. We've known people who have brought over 4-5 cats and they haven't had a problem but 4-5 dogs might be more difficult!

As you have dogs it's not a problem but in some areas are cat hating councils and you either get a curfew where they aren't allowed out at night or as in ours where they are not allowed off your property or they get a $100 fine, so you have to make sure they carry their credit cards with them at all times

I'm sure you'll find a pet friendly rental and you may have to stump up some extra bond or undertake assurances for any damage or pet does. Usually when you arrive offering to pay a few months rent up front works wonders!

Which part of Melbourne would you like to live in?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Or students! I'd much rather have had a responsible pet owner than two Greek mature students that trashed our flat!

Anyway, back to Melbourne - I've known lots of people rent with dogs here so you might just have to look around a bit longer to find a suitable place. Dog ownership in Victoria is quite high so maybe landlords here are a little more sympathetic.

Some rentals will say no pets in which case you know exactly where you stand but our current rental says that you have to apply to the landlord. Now when we asked the agent she said "no" in no uncertain terms but if we had wanted to go any further then I would have written to our landlord direct. I think some agents can't be bothered with the extra work so it's just easier for them to say no. As it turns out we should be moving into our own place later this year so will wait until then to get a furry friend. Also some rentals may state that the dogs don't go in the house. It's quite common here in VIC that dogs live in the yard and they think us Brits are weird for letting them live in the house!

With regard to number of pets to size of property, it does depend on the local council. In our shire if your block is under 500sqm then you can have 1 cat or dog, over that it's 2 working your way up to acerage where you can have a number of animals. We had a good laugh when it said that for properties up to 500 sqm we are only allowed to keep 2 domestic mice! Do the mice police come out if we dare to keep 3? What if one of the 3 mice were a wild mouse? I don't know who comes up with this stuff!

Anyway, all animals have to be registered with the local council and if you go over your quota of animals then you have to apply for extra licences. We've known people who have brought over 4-5 cats and they haven't had a problem but 4-5 dogs might be more difficult!

As you have dogs it's not a problem but in some areas are cat hating councils and you either get a curfew where they aren't allowed out at night or as in ours where they are not allowed off your property or they get a $100 fine, so you have to make sure they carry their credit cards with them at all times

I'm sure you'll find a pet friendly rental and you may have to stump up some extra bond or undertake assurances for any damage or pet does. Usually when you arrive offering to pay a few months rent up front works wonders!

Which part of Melbourne would you like to live in?
How crazy??

Thank god it's not that mad here! My cats could only pay in mice...
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

They say it's because cats attack the local small wildlife blah blah and they keep saying the curfew is for the protection of your pet. Yet foxes are allowed to roam freely!

We had house cats anyway in the UK so it wouldn't bother me but it wouldn't be good for a UK cat coming here who is used to the odd jaunt or two over the fence.

It's such a shame as in our last house we did get the a couple of cats in the garden but they knew they shouldn't be there as they'd run off as soon as you opened the door to go to talk to them.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

hi koalakim
it looks as though we will be somewhere in the diamond creek area. My wife has a job interview over there next month and then hopefull we will be on our way later this year.
going to spend a short holiday over there next month to get an idea of what its like.
my dogs are more than just pets and it would make the decision to emmigrate very hard if i had to leave them both back here in england
thanks for you answer it has helped.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

You should be able to find somewhere that takes pets, we came over with two cats, and while it took a little longer, we did find somewhere nice. We just had to sign a form saying we would cover the cost of any damage and have cleaning done when we leave.

To make sure we don't get screwed when we do leave, we took photos and completed our own much more detailed inventory list of the property which we had the agents sign. They were pretty rubbish with theirs and didnt even list things like a cracked window pane. In ours we even listed the scratched wooden floor - in case they think that the cats did it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.