Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do NZ MAF charge to destroy things?

Wikiposts

Do NZ MAF charge to destroy things?

Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do NZ MAF charge to destroy things?

In the scheme of things this is a pretty trivial question but I have a couple of small wicker items that I'd like to send out in my shipment to NZ but it's not worth paying for them if MAF decide they need fumigating. If I put a note in with them asking that they be destroyed rather than fumigated would MAF charge me for the privilege?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Nov 16th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

When MAF look through your inventory and spot something they would like to check there is a charge then. They pulled out my bike, Xmas decorations and lawn mower and charged $160. They then made a further charge to clean my lawn mower $50. There were some fir cones we missed in the Christmas decorations and they destroyed those though I am not sure if they charged or if it was inc' in the lawn mower payment. We thought about taking garden tools and were told it is a good idea to paint ALL OVER them with hammerite, we did not have time to do that so they did not come. Wish we had not brought lawn mower gardens are so large I had to spend a fortune on extention cables. When they said there would be charge to clean the mowere I asked if it would be cheaper to have it destroyed the moving people said probably not.

Rob
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rob. Probably best not to bring them then!

Ben
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:42 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I really know little about this, but one thought springs to mind....

I would imagine there would be little difference between destroying something and fumigating it. After all, it's no good destroying something without fumigating it first....??

No idea about the costs though.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I think a 1000 degree incinerator cuts out the need for fumigation.

Rob