Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do not buy an Acer PC from Wow Sight n Sound Maroochy

Wikiposts

Do not buy an Acer PC from Wow Sight n Sound Maroochy

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do not buy an Acer PC from Wow Sight n Sound Maroochy

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We brought 3 PC & lap top from UK & they all work fine, no problem at all.
Hurrah - hero hubby kicked some ass down at Wow and they've supplied a new PC with a super dupa plasma monitor! It seems they don't like their customers hearing about all the faulty goods we've purchased from there
Yep Fluffy - EVERYTHING we've brought from oz has broken/failed - even my aussie mates complain cos it happens to them! Aussie's don't put up with it either - my mates always take the stuff back and create merry hell.

By the way, it was an Acer Aspire; the guy at Wow said they've imported a load of Acers that have dodgy hard drives and motherboards (whatever that is). He reckons genuine Acers with Acer parts are usually pretty good, much better than dell
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, thanks for your replys
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hurrah - hero hubby kicked some ass down at Wow and they've supplied a new PC with a super dupa plasma monitor! It seems they don't like their customers hearing about all the faulty goods we've purchased from there
Yep Fluffy - EVERYTHING we've brought from oz has broken/failed - even my aussie mates complain cos it happens to them! Aussie's don't put up with it either - my mates always take the stuff back and create merry hell.

By the way, it was an Acer Aspire; the guy at Wow said they've imported a load of Acers that have dodgy hard drives and motherboards (whatever that is). He reckons genuine Acers with Acer parts are usually pretty good, much better than dell
The guy at WOW is talking crap again, he would have no idea on whether the Acer's were imported or not and Acer do not make hard drives anyway.
Good that you got it sorted though and ACer are not better than Dell, that's like comparing a Holden with a Toyota :-))
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:24 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think by law they have to exchange it if it goes wrong within a month.

Had a TV go wrong from JB but didn't get it back to them within the month, Panasonic where crap, got a refund in the end due to my wife getting on there backs.

Bunnings is another one with a crap refund policy, never get a lawn mower/ petrol item from there, if it goes wrong they send it off for repair and it takes weeks.

Just a warning. We purchased a new Acer PC from Wow Sight and Sound in Maroochy. It stopped working after 4 days (hard drive packed up). As we were both working we didn't get a chance to contact Wow until the weekend (7 days after purchase). Guy we speak to says Wow's policy is to only exchange it within the first 7 days, after that we have to contact Acer directly.

Bit miffed but call Acer support; even before we state whats happened the guy tells my husband "its the harddrive, I'll order a new one someone will call and fit it within the next 24hrs" - so we wait, and wait - no phonecall, nothing. Its now 2 weeks! Call Acer again - "yeah mate the parts on order, we'll call you" - again nothing

Call Wow today - understandably angry. State I want to speak to the manager, if its a common problem then why sell the PC in the first place? Manager comes on the phone, doesn't apologise just says casually "yeah box it up, bring it in we'll exchange it for another Acer".

So after all that, I could have exchanged it - I just needed to shout down the phone??? one thing to mention is they also won't give you a refund, even if the products faulty!

Everything we have purchased in Australia has been faulty, missing bits or stops working after a month or so! Crazy!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
The guy at WOW is talking crap again, he would have no idea on whether the Acer's were imported or not and Acer do not make hard drives anyway.
Good that you got it sorted though and ACer are not better than Dell, that's like comparing a Holden with a Toyota :-))
We've had a dell PC - it broke (in fairness it was the monitor). Have a toshiba laptop from the UK - had it for 4 yrs - never a problem. Oi and I have a toyota!!! Nowt wrong with them!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a dell PC - it broke (in fairness it was the monitor). Have a toshiba laptop from the UK - had it for 4 yrs - never a problem. Oi and I have a toyota!!! Nowt wrong with them!
It wasn't the Toyota's I was talking about, we have 3 of them!!

In the UK I sold maybe 50 Dell PC's over a year, not one of them failed. I also used to sell Acer's - same story. The PC's that fail most often are the ones that people build up in their garages / shops etc. It seems that the Aussies love these build up's but I'm sure if you go forward a couple of years they'll be history.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:38 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by walla
It may be a surprise to a lot of people out there but everything electrical works in Australia
They have electricity in Australia...
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
It wasn't the Toyota's I was talking about, we have 3 of them!!

In the UK I sold maybe 50 Dell PC's over a year, not one of them failed. I also used to sell Acer's - same story. The PC's that fail most often are the ones that people build up in their garages / shops etc. It seems that the Aussies love these build up's but I'm sure if you go forward a couple of years they'll be history.
Our dell we brought off ebay here (new apparently), from Adelaide - had to send it back 3 times in the first 6 weeks. After that the monitor kept on going, Mark kept on repairing it - finally gave up on it last month (hence buying a new PC). Use Acers at work and I have an Acer laptop (supplied from work for me to use at home) - never had a prob with the work ones. Just out of interest - when hubby went to Wow a few days ago to create merry hell. The Acer Aspire (one we originally brought) is now on 'special'! $698 for the whole lot! Coincidence?