Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do laptops travel well?

Do laptops travel well?

Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do laptops travel well?

I am technologically naive, (haven't got a damn clue ) and was wondering if I will need to do anything to my beloved laptop so that it works in Aus.
I have world-wide adapter for the plug.

Cas
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do laptops travel well?

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I am technologically naive, (haven't got a damn clue ) and was wondering if I will need to do anything to my beloved laptop so that it works in Aus.
I have world-wide adapter for the plug.

Cas
Laptops normally travel well. You just need an adaptor for the plug.

Jeremy
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy!
Cas
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We just treated ourselves to a new one when we were in Oz recently and Mrs M is merrily browsing the net on it as I type. All that was needed was a plug adapter to fit the UK socket.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
I wondering the same thing cas, great minds and all that...great chatting to you, will give you a bell end of the week
Trish
xx
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimtrish
I wondering the same thing cas, great minds and all that...great chatting to you, will give you a bell end of the week
Trish
xx
Tony and I are going to Peak District (and NW meet) on Thursday for the weekend. I'll catch up with you week after. I'll phone you the Mon or Tues.
Cas xx
ps OMG just realised I'm hijacking thread again - sorry!!!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:38 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Tony and I are going to Peak District (and NW meet) on Thursday for the weekend. I'll catch up with you week after. I'll phone you the Mon or Tues.
Cas xx
ps OMG just realised I'm hijacking thread again - sorry!!!!!!
LOL! Is it possible to hijack your own thread?!!

Regarding your original query, I travel with my laptop constantly and have had no problems. Recommend that you carry it with you (ie don't put it in with your hold luggage.) You may be asked to take it out for separate x-ray (this used to be standard practice at many airports, but seems to have dropped back a bit now) and/or start it up to prove that it's a working machine.

Also, I'd highly recommend taking a power board (multiple points) or at least a double adaptor if you want to plug in a printer or any other peripheral. I usually travel with a four point power board and a short extention lead, for convenience.

One last tip, if you want to connect your modem (internal) to an Aussie phone socket, you'll need a cable with an RJ45 connector at each end. I think I've remembered the name right! To explain, in UK I used a cable with a different connection at each end. The one at the computer is an RJ45(?) - the slightly narrower one - whereas the one for the wall socket (where the phone plugs in) is, I think, an RJ11 - wider. In Australia, they are both the same - both RJ45s - the narrower one. Hope I'm making sense here?!

Ok, I'll shut up now!! Hope this helped anyway.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Regarding your original query, I travel with my laptop constantly and have had no problems. Recommend that you carry it with you (ie don't put it in with your hold luggage.) You may be asked to take it out for separate x-ray (this used to be standard practice at many airports, but seems to have dropped back a bit now) and/or start it up to prove that it's a working machine.

Also, I'd highly recommend taking a power board (multiple points) or at least a double adaptor if you want to plug in a printer or any other peripheral. I usually travel with a four point power board and a short extention lead, for convenience.

One last tip, if you want to connect your modem (internal) to an Aussie phone socket, you'll need a cable with an RJ45 connector at each end. I think I've remembered the name right! To explain, in UK I used a cable with a different connection at each end. The one at the computer is an RJ45(?) - the slightly narrower one - whereas the one for the wall socket (where the phone plugs in) is, I think, an RJ11 - wider. In Australia, they are both the same - both RJ45s - the narrower one. Hope I'm making sense here?!

Hi,

Not quite correct.

An RJ45 socket is the socket used for networking. The small phone socket which plugs into modems etc, is an RJ11. I dont know the name of the larger and flatter plug used on the end of UK phones.

However the point you were making is valid. Rather than having an RJ11 to BT phone socket cable, you will require an RJ11 to RJ11 cable (which I assume are freely available in OZ)
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

RJ45 is for connecting to the networks (eg broadband at home and the office network) and RJ11 is for connecting to phones. RJ45 looks like RJ11 but is bigger.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bondipom
RJ45 is for connecting to the networks (eg broadband at home and the office network)
I posted on a thread last week about the size of the plug for broadband / adsl in OZ and I was assured it was the same as here, the RJ11 plug.

Are you telling me this is not the case???
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi,

Not quite correct.

An RJ45 socket is the socket used for networking. The small phone socket which plugs into modems etc, is an RJ11. I dont know the name of the larger and flatter plug used on the end of UK phones.

However the point you were making is valid. Rather than having an RJ11 to BT phone socket cable, you will require an RJ11 to RJ11 cable (which I assume are freely available in OZ)
Now hang on a sec....as much as I am grateful for your replies, I did say at the beginning that I don't know a damn thing about computers
All of this talk about R sockets ! Do they have anything to do with rabbits (ie rampant ones)?
If not, could you please explain what the hell you're on about! All I know my laptop came with a lead, as did my broadbank connection pack.

Cas x
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:54 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Red face Re: Do laptops travel well?

Dang and blast, I knew I'd get the names wrong! Sorry for any confusion, Caroline. I can only hope that you know what I'm on about!

By the way, the smaller connections on each end of a cable are, in fact, easily bought here in Oz. So don't panic if you don't have one.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Dang and blast, I knew I'd get the names wrong! Sorry for any confusion, Caroline. I can only hope that you know what I'm on about!

By the way, the smaller connections on each end of a cable are, in fact, easily bought here in Oz. So don't panic if you don't have one.

No probs, just get rather confused about technology - I'm quite harmless though - unless you give me something high tech!

I'll print this thread and take it into a shop if I need something!

btw - are you there - if you know what I mean
Cas x
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Agreed!! Go into a shop and tell them you need to connect your laptop to the phone socket - they will give you a cable - you give them money - and hey presto you will be back online again!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by darkless
Agreed!! Go into a shop and tell them you need to connect your laptop to the phone socket - they will give you a cable - you give them money - and hey presto you will be back online again!!!
Thankyou - a simple answer for a simple mind!

Then I can come on the forum again and annoy the hell out of everyone again!
Cas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.