Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DO I ROB A BANK?

DO I ROB A BANK?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default DO I ROB A BANK?

After some ideas on how to fund my migration if house doesnt sell and I have to rent it, Visa fees, medical is covered. SAle of two cars will pay for flights and shipping furniture. Still paying off card from recent reccie.
Should manage to pay bond and rental when I get there. Gonna be struggling tho to buy car in OZ as this is possibly going to happen within 6 months.
Can claim back $5000 off employer for relocation but that will probably take a while. I need money, all offers accepted
Rental back in UK will cover my mortgage and 0% credit card payment.
Have job to go to so will have inome straight away.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:23 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all
Default Re: DO I ROB A BANK?

Originally Posted by garyp
After some ideas on how to fund my migration if house doesnt sell and I have to rent it, Visa fees, medical is covered. SAle of two cars will pay for flights and shipping furniture. Still paying off card from recent reccie.
Should manage to pay bond and rental when I get there. Gonna be struggling tho to buy car in OZ as this is possibly going to happen within 6 months.
Can claim back $5000 off employer for relocation but that will probably take a while. I need money, all offers accepted
not sure if this helps but thought I'd tell a bit about our move as it sounds similar.

Came over in Dec with a job so money coming in but only had bond and 1st months rent in cash and that was it with 3 kids in tow have family here so was able to stay for 10 days until we secured our rental and able to borrow a car over the xmas hols but under pressure to buy as family was needing the car back.

bought a car for $1300 and it's been great bit of a banger but hey it runs and gets me where i need to go. so far it's done about 12000km and is still going strong!

just bought a house so should get a slightly better car soon

you can do it, it will be frigging hard but personally I prefer the way we had to do it cos if we'd had the money we would've probably wasted it.

think I've heard someone say that they had a hire car and were paying $200 a month for it, sounds a good deal to me for a short term fix. can try and find out more if you want?

good luck

ob
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your experience Oz bound.
More experiences would be appreciated.
gary
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by oz bound
not sure if this helps but thought I'd tell a bit about our move as it sounds similar.

Came over in Dec with a job so money coming in but only had bond and 1st months rent in cash and that was it with 3 kids in tow have family here so was able to stay for 10 days until we secured our rental and able to borrow a car over the xmas hols but under pressure to buy as family was needing the car back.

bought a car for $1300 and it's been great bit of a banger but hey it runs and gets me where i need to go. so far it's done about 12000km and is still going strong!

you can do it, it will be frigging hard but personally I prefer the way we had to do it cos if we'd had the money we would've probably wasted it.

think I've heard someone say that they had a hire car and were paying $200 a month for it, sounds a good deal to me for a short term fix. can try and find out more if you want?

good luck

ob
Car hire for $200 a month? Sounds fab! Would appreciate it if you could find out some more details. Thank you.

Karen
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

good luck

ob
Hi OB,
I'm really interested in your reply as we too arrive on THIS COMING TUESDAY.....without jobs...but with enough to see us through for a year! Hire car has cost us in region of $240 dollars for A WEEK...so please tell me where you can hire for $200 for month!! Also, I thought that you needed a serious deposit to purchase property? Is that not the case?
We will be needing a long term rental (but without knowing where we'll be working it really is very difficult!!)...and we have 2 dogs!!
Oh I'm winding myself up again now...any advice will be great!
Cheers, Lisa,x
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

think I've heard someone say that they had a hire car and were paying $200 a month for it, sounds a good deal to me for a short term fix.
I very much doubt someone was able to hire a car for $200 for the month. Must have been the cost to cover the spare tyre in the boot.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:25 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Car hire for $200 a month? Sounds fab! Would appreciate it if you could find out some more details. Thank you.

Karen
will see what I can find out

ob
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:29 pm
West is best!

Originally Posted by snoo
Hi OB,
I'm really interested in your reply as we too arrive on THIS COMING TUESDAY.....without jobs...but with enough to see us through for a year! Hire car has cost us in region of $240 dollars for A WEEK...so please tell me where you can hire for $200 for month!! Also, I thought that you needed a serious deposit to purchase property? Is that not the case?
We will be needing a long term rental (but without knowing where we'll be working it really is very difficult!!)...and we have 2 dogs!!
Oh I'm winding myself up again now...any advice will be great!
Cheers, Lisa,x

will see what more I can find out about the hire car. Also you do need a minimum 5% deposit and 3 months regular saving history to secure a mortgage. Both we did, been saving like mad, hence why haven't got a better car before now getting a mortgage was priority.

ob
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:33 pm
West is best!

Originally Posted by mecheng
I very much doubt someone was able to hire a car for $200 for the month. Must have been the cost to cover the spare tyre in the boot.
I can only say what I was told. Pretty sure it was a deal the hire company offered, I did query it as I thought no way that's too cheap but then I saw the car and it wasn't your usual new hire car it was an older car so then I figured it must be right.

ob
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

will see what more I can find out about the hire car. Also you do need a minimum 5% deposit and 3 months regular saving history to secure a mortgage. Both we did, been saving like mad, hence why haven't got a better car before now getting a mortgage was priority.

ob
Thanks for the reply Oz Bound! And can I just say 'congratulations and very well done on settling in and buying a house!!'
I had been told by a friend in Perth that they went to see a mortgage advisor and was told that the norm would be to put 30% deposit down on a property!
You have made me feel so much better! I feel more like 'it can be done!' without having to wait for one of my parents to 'pop their clogs' for my inheritance!! Haha! We've just had such bad luck...housing market crash
(although even selling the house at ANY price was a possitive!) then the exchange rate! Pah! Then today we find out that the Quarantine for the dogs has doubled from £600 to £1200 only 3wks ago!!!!! Double pah!! BUT we did get a GREAT deal on flights (£379 open return...cheaper than one way!!)

And to Gary...whom we have stolen his thread! sorry Gaz!....you've got a job mate! Good times!! Swings in roundabouts! We have NO WORK! It's scary! In fact I'm just off to the doc for something to stop my heart from beating out of my chest!!

Adios Amigos!! 4 days til P day!!..........Lisa,xxx
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garyp

Have PMd you.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
Banned

alexhart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can save a few extra bucks if you use a foriegn exchange broker instead of the bank if you do manage to sell you house and want to move some money over to aus
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for relpies