Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I need a return flight?

Do I need a return flight?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

leemg78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need a return flight?

Sorry for the repost, my lats post had a few questions on and this forum seems to be really busy.

OK...I have a working holiday visa agreed, currently have an application lodged with DIAC to move on to my girlfriends 457 visa and I am also in the process of applying for skilled migration - currently being assessed by ACS

I am looking to fly out at the end of March and need to book my flight ASAP

so can I book a one way or do I need a return?, I would rather go for the one way option due to cost

I can't seem to find any info on DIAC site
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:39 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice
Default Re: Do I need a return flight?

Wife and I just back from a 3 week holiday in Oz and nobody asked us if we had a return ticket and no mention on their the immigration website either I really dont think they are too bothered unlike some countries, so long as you have the means to leave the country.
My experience is, booking a one way with most airlines is almost the same price as a return.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fedupwithbritain
Wife and I just back from a 3 week holiday in Oz and nobody asked us if we had a return ticket and no mention on their the immigration website either I really dont think they are too bothered unlike some countries, so long as you have the means to leave the country.
My experience is, booking a one way with most airlines is almost the same price as a return.
They wouldn't appear to be too bothered about you having a return ticket as it would show up when they click in your details. If however you do not have a return ticket and are not entitled to stay in the country you will be flagged and it could cause you problems later down the immigration process. This happened to my inlaws who left their boat in NZ and came home to the UK for a holiday. On the way back to NZ they visited Melbourne and were questioned for quite some time about why they had no return ticket to the UK luckily She keeps the ships papers on her so she had proof that they were part way through a circumnavigation
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you dont have a visa which allows you to stay in a country then a return ticket would be better - wont cost you much more anyway and you may even be able to get a credit on the return half if you discover that you dont need it. IIRC it is the airlines who check these things - I know that DS was travelling out of Aus on an apparently one way ticket and had to show that he had UK citizenship so he would be allowed to stay in UK - I vaguely recall having to do the same when leaving UK because I have a UK passport and needed to show them my Aus one to show that I could stay once I got here. Better to be safe than sorry I reckon!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:06 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
They wouldn't appear to be too bothered about you having a return ticket as it would show up when they click in your details. If however you do not have a return ticket and are not entitled to stay in the country you will be flagged and it could cause you problems later down the immigration process. This happened to my inlaws who left their boat in NZ and came home to the UK for a holiday. On the way back to NZ they visited Melbourne and were questioned for quite some time about why they had no return ticket to the UK luckily She keeps the ships papers on her so she had proof that they were part way through a circumnavigation
Well we didnt have return tickets and nobody questioned us.