Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I need planning permission for...

Do I need planning permission for...

Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need planning permission for...

Hi All

We have a house in Woodford, Queensland. Its a 4 bed lowset in the country, no other houses around.

We need a spare room for guests, but with three children there wont be one, but the bedrooms are huge, 2 to 3 times the size of a largeish UK double bedroom. Will we need council permission to partition one of the bedrooms into two? The only telltale outside will be an extra window at the rear of the house, & inside will be an extra doorway in the corridoor.

Cheers

Phil & Sarah & Children
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need planning permission for...

Originally Posted by philj6969
Hi All

We have a house in Woodford, Queensland. Its a 4 bed lowset in the country, no other houses around.

We need a spare room for guests, but with three children there wont be one, but the bedrooms are huge, 2 to 3 times the size of a largeish UK double bedroom. Will we need council permission to partition one of the bedrooms into two? The only telltale outside will be an extra window at the rear of the house, & inside will be an extra doorway in the corridoor.

Cheers

Phil & Sarah & Children

Yes you will need permission, adding a window will be working on a load bearing wall for that alone you will need permission, you will be also removing items like cyclone rods! and possibly wiring so you need an electrician whos not going to work without approved plans to do so. Adding a bedroom and another door into a hallway will both bring up issues like fire safety requirements.

Dont mess with stuff here, when you go to sell a window without a permit will crash the entire contract, wiring without approval will wipe out house insurance too.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:48 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi All

Cheers

Phil & Sarah & Children
Sorry don't know the answer to your question but it seems that you have been given the answer.

Are you still in Crawley or are you in Queensland?
I'm in Crawley and leaving in 2 weeks

Kala
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Along a similar ilk, would planning permission be required to add a partitioning wall to a long thing room to make two smaller rooms (office etc)?

This will basically just be a stud wall made of wood with plasterboard on each side.

Do i need permission for this?

Dave

p.s. referring to WA in case rules are different state to state
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Sorry don't know the answer to your question but it seems that you have been given the answer.

Are you still in Crawley or are you in Queensland?
I'm in Crawley and leaving in 2 weeks

Kala
Hi, we are still here in sunny Crawley

If all goes well we should be off in 4 -5 weeks.

Our buyer is mucking us about a bit at the moment.

Best of luck to you, If we are ever over your way we will pop in and say hi!

Phil
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:06 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi, we are still here in sunny Crawley

If all goes well we should be off in 4 -5 weeks.

Our buyer is mucking us about a bit at the moment.

Best of luck to you, If we are ever over your way we will pop in and say hi!

Phil

I was gonn say SUNNY???

Hope it all goes through for you and you get over in time

JD