Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do i need to declare this

do i need to declare this

Old Mar 7th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do i need to declare this

just recieved app form of agent and busy filling it out - there is a section that asks whether have been in armed forces - i was over 12 years ago but didnt even finish basic training before i bought myself out - thing is i have no discharge papers- cant find them and i am not even sure of exact dates but as around 30 days!!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do i need to declare this

Originally posted by thewoods
just recieved app form of agent and busy filling it out - there is a section that asks whether have been in armed forces - i was over 12 years ago but didnt even finish basic training before i bought myself out - thing is i have no discharge papers- cant find them and i am not even sure of exact dates but as around 30 days!!
I would have thought it best to err on the side of caution and put it in. Otherwise if they do find out about it they may suspect you're a terrorist!

Can you not get copies of your discharge papers from the relevant bit of the Forces?
Old Mar 7th 2003, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thewoods How's it going?

Yes definately declare the fact that you were in the forces. I'm sure you will be able to get the exact date of the time spent there along with a copy of your discharge papers, to send with the application. You don't want to risk them finding out, and then being refused because of it.

All the best

Pudnut...
Old Mar 7th 2003, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

god
just spoke to agent - well someone from her ofice - advised me not to bother!!!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

god

Hmmmmmm! As a solicitor I'd advise you to get that in writing!
Old Mar 7th 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

god
I don't profess to know as much as an agent, but my common sense says that immigration want to know everything about a person before giving them PR. By withholding information on a part of your life, (however insignificant you think it is), and then it is later found out, will not go in your favour at all. It throws up all sorts of questions such as, why was the information withheld? what are you wishing to hide? What other information are you hiding from us? Problems for you in the long run I would imagine.

Maybe your agent knows of a reason why this should not be included but I would personally include the Forces information.

Pudnut...
Old Mar 7th 2003, 3:08 pm
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point

spoke to a bloke the other day he had to specify to quite a details the guns, explosives etc he handled while in the forces. He is not in the army now, not sure when he left or time spent there.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

i was in airforce for only a couple of months, and yes i declared this.