Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I have to change my driving licence?

Do I have to change my driving licence?

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Do I have to change my driving licence?

I have a full British licence. How long can I drive in Australia, if at all, using it before I have to get an Australian one. Will I have to do another driving test?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to change my driving licence?

Originally Posted by kellz
I have a full British licence. How long can I drive in Australia, if at all, using it before I have to get an Australian one. Will I have to do another driving test?
If you're coming on a Temp Visa then you don't have to change. If you're coming on a Permanent Visa then you have three months to convert and there's no test. Depending on the State or Territory you go to, you may need an eye test.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:26 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the Visa type and State.
In NSW if on Perm then you will need to get an Oz DL within 3 months, if you are on a Temp then you don't need one BUT you do need to get a RTA Reference number (just in case you happen to break the speed limit one day!!).
Most States are similar but I think in some if on long term Temp Visa (like 457) you may still need to get an Oz license, but only sure about the NSW rules.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Do I have to change my driving licence?

I will be living in Queensland and will probably be on a temp visa as coming over on partner visa. Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure and neither was my husband. Will make sure I always wear my glasses, I find seeing the road helpful
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

Also depending how long you have been driving. If you have been driving for less that 3 yrs on full uk licence you may have to have P plates this is the case in NSW. P plates give you some restrictions about how, when, and what you can drive.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by peggy76
Also depending how long you have been driving. If you have been driving for less that 3 yrs on full uk licence you may have to have P plates this is the case in NSW. P plates give you some restrictions about how, when, and what you can drive.
Same with holding any international licence for less than 3 years. I have those bloody P plates and have to take another test in January to get a full licence. And I thought I was finished with driving tests!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hotfuss
Same with holding any international licence for less than 3 years. I have those bloody P plates and have to take another test in January to get a full licence. And I thought I was finished with driving tests!!
Same here ! but its this month for me
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:04 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I will be living in Queensland and will probably be on a temp visa as coming over on partner visa.
Partner visa can be temp or perm. If you had the right to perm, I assume you'd be going for that.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...as-partner.htm
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Same here ! but its this month for me
Best of luck - I hope it goes well! I haven't looked into it yet but I've heard its a touch screen hazard perception test.. I'm not looking forward to it!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Partner visa can be temp or perm. If you had the right to perm, I assume you'd be going for that.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...as-partner.htm
You don't go for Permanent, you apply for Temporary and DIAC decide whether you're entitled to Permanent or not.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I will be living in Queensland and will probably be on a temp visa as coming over on partner visa. Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure and neither was my husband. Will make sure I always wear my glasses, I find seeing the road helpful
If you are coming to QLD then I find closing my eyes while driving helps ...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You don't go for Permanent, you apply for Temporary and DIAC decide whether you're entitled to Permanent or not.
You apply for both (temporary and permanent) and if you're entitled to the permanent visa then DIAC have to give it to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotfuss
I had my licence (UK) less than 2 years and swapped for a full open licence in QLD.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
I had my licence (UK) less than 2 years and swapped for a full open licence in QLD.
Yes - the OH did that too.

When we moved to NSW he went to swap his licence over.

Apparently, he had too many numbers on his Qld licence so the lady had to ring up. Apparently (again) they 'knew all about him' and Qld had him in their system for 'notification'.. basically it has meant that he's got to go on green Ps until December (the 3rd anniversary of getting his UK licence) when he'll do the hazard perception test (so the lady on the phone said - as far as I can tell from their online site, he'll need to do a theory test too, but who knows)

He ain't impressed. He doesn't drive much as it goes but I'm not sure what the consequences would have been if he'd been pulled over by the police?

So, madam - how many digits are in your driver licence number? They might know all about you too :-P

(there is a plus to this, for him, anyway, as it means he gets out of all supervisory driving with the teenagers...)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Yes - the OH did that too.

When we moved to NSW he went to swap his licence over.

Apparently, he had too many numbers on his Qld licence so the lady had to ring up. Apparently (again) they 'knew all about him' and Qld had him in their system for 'notification'.. basically it has meant that he's got to go on green Ps until December (the 3rd anniversary of getting his UK licence) when he'll do the hazard perception test (so the lady on the phone said - as far as I can tell from their online site, he'll need to do a theory test too, but who knows)

He ain't impressed. He doesn't drive much as it goes but I'm not sure what the consequences would have been if he'd been pulled over by the police?

So, madam - how many digits are in your driver licence number? They might know all about you too :-P

(there is a plus to this, for him, anyway, as it means he gets out of all supervisory driving with the teenagers...)
I've got 8 digits on my licence number, is that right? I have spoken to the police who saw my licence, not pulled over (long story!) and they didn't say anything.

Maybe I slipped through the net?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.