Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I get my Careers Adviser qualifications assessed after visa grant?

Do I get my Careers Adviser qualifications assessed after visa grant?

Old May 1st 2005, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Default Do I get my Careers Adviser qualifications assessed after visa grant?

Can anyone help?
I've worked as Careers adviser here in the UK in schools, colleges and Uni's for over 16 years but not sure how many similar jobs there are in OZ. Seen a small number of careers advisers work in universities (not as many as here) so I expect these jobs are very sought after. Apart from this I haven't been able to find any other careers adviser vacancies altho' I read that the Howard government are putting money into 'getting people qualified as careers advisers' ...so it seems like Oz is way behind in this as its been the norm here for years to be qualified!!

So do I bother to get my degree and postgrad diploma qualifications assessed now or wait and see if similar jobs appear and ask then if they recognise my quals?

Have other people found they had to change career because they were over qualified, had different qualifications to those in OZ, or simply couldn't find similar jobs?

PS. My hubbie has had his skills assessed for our visa but I'm wondering if I should get my degree and postgrad diploma assessed for its equivalence in OZ in case I want to apply for other jobs.
Would Vetassess be the place to do this(as required for careers adviser on the SOL list)or do I get this done by someone else?

Many thanks for your help!!!!!