Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I or Dont i apply for tax number?

Do I or Dont i apply for tax number?

Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:53 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I or Dont i apply for tax number?

Hi to everyone,
just wanted some advice, we are going to validate our PR Visa's in June and what i need to know is do we apply for our tax numbers, medi care etc, then? or do we wait until we return to live there.
Sorry if i sound a bit thick, but my head is all over the place trying to organise things.

Many thanks in advance
Sam xx
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I or Dont i apply for tax number?

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi to everyone,
just wanted some advice, we are going to validate our PR Visa's in June and what i need to know is do we apply for our tax numbers, medi care etc, then? or do we wait until we return to live there.
Sorry if i sound a bit thick, but my head is all over the place trying to organise things.

Many thanks in advance
Sam xx
I'd wait till you come here to live. It's just routine stuff.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:51 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time I would definitely do it when you validate your visa. You will need to have an address in Australia to send it all too.

Then when you move permanently it's a few less things to worry about.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
If you have time I would definitely do it when you validate your visa. You will need to have an address in Australia to send it all too.

Then when you move permanently it's a few less things to worry about.
I don't know, if you validate and get a tax file number and don't move you will probably need to do a tax return the following July, or at least complete a form explaining why you shouldn't. I'd leave it until you arrive permanently.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely wait until you move permanently. Why have to fill in a tax return and explain stuff when you don't have to. It's all easy enough to do, doesn't take long.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We got it out of the way during visa validation trip: one less thing to do when you arrive.

It's only an identification number. I don't think it means having to do a return if you aren't tax resident. (Australians can live in the UK for decades and just pick up the same tax ID when they return and become tax resident again.)
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:49 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Wol is correct, its just applying for a number. Working Holiday makers who apply for one can use the same number years later if they return to Oz.

We applied for ours and we're still in the UK and don't have to do Australian tax returns etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:17 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi to everyone,

Many thanks in advance
Sam xx
Things like this don't take that long to do but you do need an address for them to be sent to so if you have a friend or relative then maybe that would be fine but then you would have to go through the rigmarole of changing addresses when you got over her, more form filling, more waiting. IMO its not worth doing it until you get here and have an address to which they can send them.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone,

We are moving in May and hadn't planned on starting work until July so we would be starting at the new tax year and won't have to do a tax return for prev year that would include UK stuff. So from what has been said here, we are OK to get a TFN when we arrive (ie before July) and we won't have to do a tax return??

This stuff gets so confusing!

Thanks!

Catherine
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Hi Everyone,

We are moving in May and hadn't planned on starting work until July so we would be starting at the new tax year and won't have to do a tax return for prev year that would include UK stuff. So from what has been said here, we are OK to get a TFN when we arrive (ie before July) and we won't have to do a tax return??

This stuff gets so confusing!

Thanks!

Catherine
I think you are confused: you become tax resident when you move to Australia permanently. It's not relevant whether or not you are employed. So you will need a TFN from May anyway.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Wol is quite right. You need a TFN from the moment you arrive. Even though you won't have a job, any money you have in a bank will be earning interest.

If you don't have a TFN the bank will deduct tax on any interest you earn - then you'd definitely need to put in a tax return in order to get it back!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Also, even if you're classed as a non-resident for tax purposes (ie, on a 12 month working visa), you'll need to do a tax return once you've earned your first dollar.

ATO don't consider visa classifications, they look in terms of whether you're a resident or not. They've various ways of defining this but basically if you're intention is to live here, you've sold up, brought your family, living the lifestyle, integrating into the community etc, then you're a resident (works on a year by year basis)

If you're a resident, and not earned anything, you still need to do a tax return

Karen
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:12 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone who has provided guidance on this matter, we are validating our Visa in June with the intention of moving there for good 3 months later, so i think we'll apply once where there in Sept, then at least we'll have a proper address etc..

Once again Thank You, much appreciated