Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do dreamers become trolls?

Do dreamers become trolls?

Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:09 am
owieb

Default Do dreamers become trolls?

There still seems to be a lot of 'them' and 'us' when it comes to posting on the forum (most recently noticed in Wessies post).

If you have been following this forum for sometime you will know about the arguments about how different people see Oz and how 'dreamers' don't like negatives and 'trolls' like to dismiss positives.

So as you arrive in Oz (and this will require a totally honest answer) please let us know if you start feeling the pull of the 'darkside' or whether your 'force' is strong and you are a true dreamer knight!

Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I believe everyone has a bit of dreamer in them, otherwise they wouldn't be going. It just depends on how much you are a dreamer..

And I don't believe in trolls, they don't exist.

The truth exists. And it is out there.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:14 am
owieb

Originally posted by Simone82
I believe everyone has a bit of dreamer in them, otherwise they wouldn't be going. It just depends on how much you are a dreamer..

And I don't believe in trolls, they don't exist.

The truth exists. And it is out there.

You've never heard of the story 'Billy Goat Gruff' ?

Used to scare the cr*p out of me when I was kid!

Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Obiwan - Kenobe

I wouldn't think anyone can put their hand up and say they have come here and things have gone exactly as they have planned -If so where are you, I want to strangle you (sorry Darth Vader mode then)

From what I see, the expats don't want to winge to friends & family back home about the things that piss them off cos they simply wouldn't understand - you have got to be here to appreciate some of the things that are discussed and I know we debate things that happen all over the world as well as in Oz but when the rose tinteds were wedged in place before hand, some of the things just aren't expected SO they whinge on this forum to people in the same position who understand.

Get my drift dudes

D
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you mean. Is understandable yes.

Have heard of Billy Goat Gruff. But have never believes fairy tale things, I don't have a very big imagination/fantasy either!

Oh, I really have to go do some work(I'm on work experience for peets sake, this is terrible!!!) Just all shut up, don't make such interseting posts, and I can go do something!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

For the ex-pats, this site serves well as the place to discuss experiences and make observations on what we all go through as expats. As Diane suggested, its only other expats who can understand what we understand, not suprisingly the pre ex pats (is that just a pat?) and also the Australian born will have a different perspective.

I have no desire to ahre my experiences with my Australian friends (who wouldn't get it) or friends in the UK ( who also wouldn't get it), that's where the forum comes in. You don't seem to get too many Australian based on this site who violenntly disagree with postings from those now resident in Oz. This isn't to say that everything we observe is 'true' necessarily just that it is a common experience. Many (though not all) of those who have lived here longer (and are more assimilated etc.etc.) do not observe the same things.

Err.. that's enough typing, I've got a home to go to
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It must be hard investing so much personal energy and a huge amount of money and hearing that it might all go wrong or that there are valid reasons for not going.

There have been a few times in the them and us arguments where the dreamers have had bad days or go through some hard times. They come on here hoping for a positive on Oz and hear exactly the opposite. That is when I hear some of the most divisive threads.

If things do not turn out right for a dreamer then the disappointment must far more than someone who just gives it a go.

Unemployment and moving house is challenging enough in life without being 10,000 miles from home. These are realities to be prepared for.

Please carry on dreaming as the world would otherwise be boring. Seeing those dreams turn to reality requires practicality and that is what is to be gained here.

Hopefully all the debate will reduce the 50% return rate (just a little) and Oz will have fewer unhappy poms. Maybe I am dreaming there!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do dreamers become trolls?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by owieb
There still seems to be a lot of 'them' and 'us' when it comes to posting on the forum (most recently noticed in Wessies post).[QUOTE]

TROLL ALERT

I guess that might be me you're referring too Owieb.

I don't consider my self a troll, i am am realist with a dreamer lining.

I think this sight can be a REAL source of support, I often see posts like "I GOT IT" and there will be 24 posts of congratulations, I found this a really honest post, and was interested overnight in what comments there would be.

I don't post much and rarely join the 'them' and 'us' scenario. But I fell foul of one on another thread last night. My comment about rude awakening was my attempt at humour.

Obviously I won't give up my day job. Oh I don't have one.

Donna
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:08 am
owieb

Originally posted by karawara88
Not at all Donna, not labelling anyone as a 'troll', using the term merely to describe someone who post truths about living in Australia that may not seem appealing to those going through the emmigration process in the UK.

I used that post as an example as it was the last one I read before adding this post and it made me think about how quite a few people have come out recently and it hasn't really gone as well as they hoped. The Wolfen's story was another classic example.

Just like you I applaud honest posts and that was what I was trying to generate here.

I consider myself to be more 'Trolley (?)' than 'Dreamerery (?).

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by karawara88
[QUOTE]Originally posted by owieb
There still seems to be a lot of 'them' and 'us' when it comes to posting on the forum (most recently noticed in Wessies post).

TROLL ALERT

I don't consider my self a troll, i am am realist with a dreamer lining.

I think this sight can be a REAL source of support, I often see posts like "I GOT IT" and there will be 24 posts of congratulations, I found this a really honest post, and was interested overnight in what comments there would be.

I don't post much and rarely join the 'them' and 'us' scenario. But I fell foul of one on another thread last night. My comment about rude awakening was my attempt at humour.

Obviously I won't give up my day job. Oh I don't have one.

Donna
As I said up there somewhere, there are no trolls on here. And if there were, you are DEFINETLY not one of them!!
You make very good posts!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:22 am
WBB

As I said up there somewhere, there are no trolls on here. And if there were, you are DEFINETLY not one of them!!
You make very good posts!
oh there are some trolls here, it is the nature of these type of forums.

things are nowhere near as bad as they were a few months ago when i stopped posting here because every other post was being hijacked by you know who (amongst others)!!!

a lot of good posters have left this site bacause of the trolls.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Yeah, ok, maybe PB, but he wasn't only a troll. He also but truthfull and usefull remarks/posts between the rest.

But, at the moment there aren't any real trolls I think. A few people are annoying sometimes, but that's it.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:35 am
WBB

Yeah, ok, maybe PB, but he wasn't only a troll. He also but truthfull and usefull remarks/posts between the rest.

But, at the moment there aren't any real trolls I think. A few people are annoying sometimes, but that's it.
you are probably right there, this site seems to be going through a bit of a metamorphisis at the moment with more and more good posters from oz who are telling it like it is, lets hope it stays this way.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Owieb, you're a trolley? I thought you were a firey .

Im still looking for a gum leaf big enough .
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:57 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

my 2 cents worth:

even if you get 20 negatives and one good post or vica versa -that one post could be helpful to someone -and i guess thats the beauty of it

for me just by reading some posts i have already made some changes in my plans (i started out WA is the dream now i am WA or NSW)

but to be honest i would be more worried if everybody said "all is great here" or in the other case "am going to AUS/NZ and will be a millionaire/perfect life inside 12 months."and not look into the reality especially those with families

I dont believe anybody will totally change their minds about going based on an "anonymous" post on a forum.If they do- well based on a post and not researching into the choices they are making well .................................... !!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.