Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Dreads Make a Differance?

Wikiposts

Do Dreads Make a Differance?

Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Dreads Make a Differance?

Originally posted by charliebray
Thanks, Im am currently an art student however on entering Oz i am expectiong to work for a bit. I have experiance with aggressive children and within a childrens hospice so i am sure working with kids i shall not have too many probs I plan to go back to my degree asap. Thanks for the support. What kind of agency do u work for where is it based?
At the moment I am working in Middlesex in a Driving/Industrial temp agency. So, I see all KINDS of hairstyles
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Not called "Dreads" for nuffin' are they?

The stereotype dreadlock wearer is a dirty feral dole bludger.

You would have to work on distinguishing yourself from the stereotype.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Megalania

I think there are 2 types of "dreads"...the dirty feral type....as you stated....

and there are fashion dreads....they dont look anything like the dirty feral types...because they are done professionally...

A g/f of mine, years ago had them done...and you really CAN tell the difference....
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:28 am
Just Joined

charliebray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania

May be u need to look into what dreads are all about and i think u would change your mind. However u are intilted to your opinion. hopefully u wont be my new boss!! its really interresting to see what people think and i believe most peeps need some reeducation on the story behind dreads and why we choose to have them. Im sure no one would say that about Bob Marley now would they!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:33 am
Just Joined

[

Last edited by charliebray; Jul 11th 2004 at 11:14 am.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:38 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

May be u need to look into what dreads are all about and i think u would change your mind. However u are intilted to your opinion. hopefully u wont be my new boss!! its really interresting to see what people think and i believe most peeps need some reeducation on the story behind dreads and why we choose to have them. Im sure no one would say that about Bob Marley now would they!
I don't care one way or the other.

You asked. I answered.

You want Dreads. You have Dreads. You will be judged by almost all on your appearance (and your spelling). Welcome to humanity.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Oh and i did mine myself that is a part of having dreads and yes i agree with Hels u can tell the differance but not because they are a fashion statement but because true dread wearers take pride in their dreads they are a part of them and they stand for what we believe in.
I guess telling u now that i also have 13 piercings and 3 tatoos is also gonna put u off!!!
However as stated before I come from an upperclass family went to public school and i chose to judge people by what they have inside not what they look like.

Ahhhh...see.....you got one thing wrong....I dont judge anyone either!

Heck, my hubby has got both of his nipples pierced and also has 3 tattoo's.....in one nipple he has stretched it to fit a 6ml ring...~wincing~

Just because I dont have them, doesnt mean I think no one else should.

I will admit tho, I dont know why people do it....and to be honest, I am not really interested....but I personally would never be put off somone because they had body modification....

I have a major allergy to PAIN :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Hels
Ahhhh...see.....you got one thing wrong....I dont judge anyone either!

Heck, my hubby has got both of his nipples pierced and also has 3 tattoo's.....in one nipple he has stretched it to fit a 6ml ring...~wincing~

Just because I dont have them, doesnt mean I think no one else should.

I will admit tho, I dont know why people do it....and to be honest, I am not really interested....but I personally would never be put off somone because they had body modification....

I have a major allergy to PAIN :scared: :scared:

Wicked. that last one was not aimed at u, u rok
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Wicked. that last one was not aimed at u, u rok

Ahhhh....Bless you my child!!!

~crackin up~

Old Jul 11th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on your employer. When I was in Australia people with dreads where often called ferals and a number of people viewed them with negativity. Whether you get employment will be down to how you present yourself in your written presentation, your verbal and how open minded your future employer is. Full stop. Go to Byron Bay, loads of people with dreadlocks go there so you will fit in nicely.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:25 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh

MULLETS for gawds sake!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like solid grounds for refusing employment to me
Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:45 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

May be u need to look into what dreads are all about and i think u would change your mind. Im sure no one would say that about Bob Marley now would they!
I think the point that my b/h was trying to make is that most employers do not care to research a persons lifestyle or fashion choices when they are performing interviews for the sake of deciding if you are the appropriate representation of thier company.

They really don't care HOW you clean them or how often etc... how you look is judged immediately by not just your employer but thier clients, sponsors, higher ups etc...

The type of work you are looking for can make an enormous difference in what is considered acceptable.
When I was working in an IT office where the only people that saw me were my pc geek co-workers, it was ok for me to dye my hair blue and have nose rings and tats showing etc... BUT when I became management and suddenly was dealing face-to-face with potential clients and trying to impress these people with our work ethics and success, well.... bye bye blue hair and nose rings. Professionalism was a must.

Siren
Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:10 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Again,
Ok so my family are a positive lot really supportive!!, I have Dreadlocks they are tidy and new. My family have said there is no way i will get employment in Oz with them. I think this is rot. I am a well spoken qualified individual from public school if i do something i do it well including getting a job, however some imput would be good. Should i keep them or cry and get rid???
I think it depends on how strong-willed you are about keeping them, and how much you are prepared to accept that there WILL be some employers who will refuse to employ you on the basis that you wear dreadlocks. (equally there will be some who wont care - probably a minority IMHO)

It may not be fair and equitable and all that but it is a fact of life - and whoever claimed that life was fair ??????.

My ex-hubby refused to employ any men that came for interview wearing an earring !!!!!! Not "rational" I know but in a job market where you get 60 applications for each position interviewers are allowed to be "irrational".

Personally if I was you and felt strongly about keeping them as you obviously do (based on your response to Megs and the others that are advising to get rid of them) I would keep them till you got here and got a bit of a feel for OZ opinions, maybe even call round at a few employment agencies to get a feel for their reactions and then make a decision.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:02 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh i see your point sort of but honestley if u knew anything about dreads u would know that u have to really look after them. It is not true that they are dirty i wash mine every 3 days and everday add dread wax and roll them. But thanks for your oppinion.

did they teach spelling at public school?
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:11 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
(based on your response to Megs and the others that are advising to get rid of them)
I didn't give any such advice. I didn't give any advice. Get blamed for bad advice, resentment over obligation for good advice.

I merely stated my conception of the majority's perception.

You want Dreads? Wear 'em. Don't want consequences? Don't wear 'em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.