Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Canadian Electricals work in Australia

Do Canadian Electricals work in Australia

Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Do Canadian Electricals work in Australia

We know that we can obtain far more advanced and one third of the price TV,s Audio etc in Canada. However if we buy and have it shipped back is it going to work?

Anybody brought Canadian or US Tv,s etc over to Aus and did they work? Also looking at laptops, car CD,s.

Blame my husband for this question, he was quoted a whopping $13,000 for a TV yesterday here, that appears to be a very old model at treble the price of one on a Canadian Website and guess who will be in Canada in January.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do Canadian Electricals work in Australia

Originally posted by dotty
We know that we can obtain far more advanced and one third of the price TV,s Audio etc in Canada. However if we buy and have it shipped back is it going to work?

Anybody brought Canadian or US Tv,s etc over to Aus and did they work? Also looking at laptops, car CD,s.

Blame my husband for this question, he was quoted a whopping $13,000 for a TV yesterday here, that appears to be a very old model at treble the price of one on a Canadian Website and guess who will be in Canada in January.

I know Canadian appliances wont work in England, Aus and UK have the same electrics dont they ???
Old Nov 17th 2002, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do Canadian Electricals work in Australia

Originally posted by jeannie
I know Canadian appliances wont work in England, Aus and UK have the same electrics dont they ???
I am not sure what system is in Canada, but the US system will not work there. You have to have a tv with PAL and NTSC, which I have found is not available in USA), so I guess the answer is no. You would be better off buying a TV when you get there, after the shipping costs, insurance, warranty, price (after converting the $), it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new one.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

dm543 is an unknown quantity at this point

US/Can TVs = NTSC

Australia = PAL

Also, the electrical voltages are different and the plugs are different.