Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Australian DVDs work in UK DVD Players?

Do Australian DVDs work in UK DVD Players?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Australian DVDs work in UK DVD Players?

Excuse the pathetically stupid question. I'm such a technophobe...

We have a DVD we'd like to send home to family but not sure if it'll work at the other end in the UK. It's a professionally made DVD copy from partner's work.

Cheers for any insight!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Re: Do Australian DVDs work in UK DVD Players?

It will work fine as long as there is no region coding on the disk which is unlikely if it's been done at work. Oz is region 4, U.K is region 2.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:12 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

it will work if they have a multi region dvd player. if that fails they could try playing it on their computer
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by squeezzii
it will work if they have a multi region dvd player. if that fails they could try playing it on their computer
Actually, the same problem exists for computer DVD players just like it does for the one connected to the TV.

Most DVD players are sold with region setting such that they will only play DVD discs that have the correct region encoding. Australia is 4 and the UK is 2. This is something the DVD manufacturers did to try to control the market in DVD sales. Thus, all things being equal, it will not work.

However, if the DVD has been burnt with no region encoding (encoded with region 0 - which means all regions), then it should play in any DVD player regardless of which region setting it has.

If the DVD has been burnt with a specific region encoding, 4 for Australia for example, then it will not play in a UK DVD player that is restricted to region 2 discs.

However, all is not lost. Most DVD players, regardless of which region they are configured for at the factory, can be changed to region 0 so that they can play any DVD regardless of the encoding that's on the disc. All the DVD players in my house, for example, have been reconfigured this way. This is usually done by opening the drive and pressing a certain combination of keys on the remote and then closing the drive again. The exact procedure differs from DVD player to DVD player. Do a search in Google to find the correct code for the DVD player in question. Note that some models, such as Panasonic, require a specific infra-red code to be sent in order to change the region coding. In those cases, you might need to buy a special one-time-use device to change the setting (one of my players is a Panasonic and this is what I had to do). Again, Google is your friened here.

- CDM
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dv...&Search=Search will help if you do need to de-regionalize.

I have a feeling that the zoning only applies to things like movies and tv shows but if it is promotional material then it is zone free.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a million for the replies!

I'm hopeful the disk is region free but at least I know what to do now if there's tech probs.

Sending disk off today,
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Actually, the same problem exists for computer DVD players just like it does for the one connected to the TV.

Most DVD players are sold with region setting such that they will only play DVD discs that have the correct region encoding. Australia is 4 and the UK is 2. This is something the DVD manufacturers did to try to control the market in DVD sales. Thus, all things being equal, it will not work.

However, if the DVD has been burnt with no region encoding (encoded with region 0 - which means all regions), then it should play in any DVD player regardless of which region setting it has.

If the DVD has been burnt with a specific region encoding, 4 for Australia for example, then it will not play in a UK DVD player that is restricted to region 2 discs.

However, all is not lost. Most DVD players, regardless of which region they are configured for at the factory, can be changed to region 0 so that they can play any DVD regardless of the encoding that's on the disc. All the DVD players in my house, for example, have been reconfigured this way. This is usually done by opening the drive and pressing a certain combination of keys on the remote and then closing the drive again. The exact procedure differs from DVD player to DVD player. Do a search in Google to find the correct code for the DVD player in question. Note that some models, such as Panasonic, require a specific infra-red code to be sent in order to change the region coding. In those cases, you might need to buy a special one-time-use device to change the setting (one of my players is a Panasonic and this is what I had to do). Again, Google is your friened here.

- CDM
Just today made a LG DVD player region-free: the internet method worked like a charm!

I was told that Panasonic open all imports and make them region zero to comply with a ACCC ruling that the coding is anticonsumer but I don't know if that's true.