Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Wikiposts

Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Some things I consumed (fairly regularly) as a child, growing up in the UK.

1) Sugar sandwiches
2) Hundreds and thousands sandwiches
3) Raw chunks of jelly straight out of the packet
4) Whole cans of Nestles Condensed Milk
5) Unfrozen Icepops (from Bejams - of course)
6) Sodastream carbonated so heavily I could burp for 10 seconds continuously
7) Cooking chocolate

And finally ... and somewhat unbelievably ...

8) An 'Early Starter' breakfast from the Little Chef.

Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

mancunian_bris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
The battered saveloy on a stick is called a "Pluto Pup" up here in Gimp Eye I thought it was an Aussie wide name must be a local thing
They still call them Pluto Pups around Brisbane, my 6 year old son loves them.
Mind you, he loves chips and gravy too
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

1) Sugar sandwiches
7) Cooking chocolate

You had the sugar sandwiches on a Saturday morning while mum & dad were having a "lie in" then you searched the cupboards for other "nice things", I bet you used to eat the sultanas & currants as well
I remember getting caught with a handful of jelly cubes & cooking choccie, not to mention sucking the condensed milk out of the tube. It's all part of growing up

P.S
Did you really have an early starter?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

1) Sugar sandwiches
7) Cooking chocolate

Oh that takes me back. My Mum never had any jelly in the kitchen because we ate it all, I was told it was good for my fingernails
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

1) Sugar sandwiches
7) Cooking chocolate

No!! I had none of the above...I can't say I feel deprived, couldn't think of anything worse!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You had the sugar sandwiches on a Saturday morning while mum & dad were having a "lie in" then you searched the cupboards for other "nice things", I bet you used to eat the sultanas & currants as well
Not you as well!!!

Dried fruit by the handful - yummy!

Still love jelly cubes, have to buy them whenever I go home as you can only get those naff crystals here.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:27 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not you as well!!!

Still love jelly cubes, have to buy them whenever I go home as you can only get those naff crystals here.
My Mum always baked cakes & cookies so the cupboards were full of sultanas, currants, chocolate drops & cooking chocolate. My nan always had tubes of condensed milk in the fridge, she had that thick black "Camp Coffee" as well it was like treacle
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:11 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

1) Sugar sandwiches
7) Cooking chocolate

That brought back some memories - I'd completely forgotton that Iceland used to be Bejams - actually missed out on the sugar sandwiches but pretty much had the rest. Didn't eat many Early Starters but used to serve a fair few up when I worked there as my Saturday job.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebiE
No!! I had none of the above...I can't say I feel deprived, couldn't think of anything worse!!!!
Me neither. We rarely had sweets Though I remember relishing "Booty Bags" when my grandparents bought them for us
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not you as well!!!

I used to eat the currants and sultanas out of the packet too, and was told it would give me worms they were supposed to be for baking.
I had no idea what worms were , but they sounded pretty frightening.

Then when I started packing my kids school lunches over here, was told it was a healthy choice.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:53 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I have to confess that I still eat sultanas and raisins out of the packet!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:18 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auspal
I used to eat the currants and sultanas out of the packet too, and was told it would give me worms

Oh no, dipping a licked finger in the sugar pot gives you worms
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sme
My sister used to eat worms, I wonder if they gave her worms
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

My sister used to eat worms, I wonder if they gave her worms
Don't be silly - they would have given her nicely broken down waste matter.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sme
But dipping your finger inthe hot chocolate was even worse in our house!!! Anyway whats all this about "when we you were growing up"? I still eat the jelly cubes and pinch evaporated milk out of the can now. It still tastes far better only it's the children that you keep an eye out for seeing you and not your parents when you are an adult.

Pollyanna, if you want cubes then i'm quite happy to send you some in whatever flavour you like