Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Wikiposts

Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:27 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now that's a serious no-no on the nutrition scale....and the taste scale (cue the vomit smilie )
They wouldn't sell me one, something about copyright infringments ... it was most odd. I was looking forward to it actually, it's been described to me as a battered saveloy with some odd mythical sauce ...

Ah well at least we got our share of Chinese Lead in our showbag
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Can someone elighten meas to what a Dagwood Dog is please? I've read this whole post and I have never heard of fairy bread before this evening. I did have sugar butties when i was little and i loved them, my daughter who ha sjust turned 9 said that they sound revolting and didn't even want to try them. We are having her party tomorrow and there definately will not be any fairy bread, sugar butties or anything similar. There will be chicken nuggets, fish fingers, chips, crisps, jelly, cake and loads of other 'junk' food but like many people have said that so long as children have things in proportion then that's how their diet is supposed to be. As for the drinks side of things my daughter only drinks fresh juice, water or milk. As a treat when we go out she has a blackcurrent and soda water. She loves it and i dont' see anything wrong with it. Children that have too many additives and other 'junk' foods are not living a healthy lifestyle and that doesn't matter whether they are in Oz or the UK. It's all down to parenting and learned behaviour
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by vickys
Can someone elighten meas to what a Dagwood Dog is please? I've read this whole post and I have never heard of fairy bread before this evening. I did have sugar butties when i was little and i loved them, my daughter who ha sjust turned 9 said that they sound revolting and didn't even want to try them. We are having her party tomorrow and there definately will not be any fairy bread, sugar butties or anything similar. There will be chicken nuggets, fish fingers, chips, crisps, jelly, cake and loads of other 'junk' food but like many people have said that so long as children have things in proportion then that's how their diet is supposed to be. As for the drinks side of things my daughter only drinks fresh juice, water or milk. As a treat when we go out she has a blackcurrent and soda water. She loves it and i dont' see anything wrong with it. Children that have too many additives and other 'junk' foods are not living a healthy lifestyle and that doesn't matter whether they are in Oz or the UK. It's all down to parenting and learned behaviour
I can't enlighten you unfortunately but apparently it's one of those Queensland experiences ... My God, it's one these (see attached) ...

No children were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Well, no children of MINE anyway
Attached Thumbnails Do Aussie's really give their kids Fairy Bread???-1411461-dagwood-dog-0.jpg  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
They wouldn't sell me one, something about copyright infringments ... it was most odd. I was looking forward to it actually, it's been described to me as a battered saveloy with some odd mythical sauce ...

Ah well at least we got our share of Chinese Lead in our showbag
The Bloke says they are great, and says they are a battered sausage on a stick covered in tomato sauce. So.....as we know what Aussie sausages usually taste like, and most tomato ketchup here is more water than tomato, I have come to the conclusion that I'll pass on this Queensland delicacy. (cue vomiting smilie again!)
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God,,,that looks disgusting
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:26 pm

The Bloke says they are great, and says they are a battered sausage on a stick covered in tomato sauce. So.....as we know what Aussie sausages usually taste like, and most tomato ketchup here is more water than tomato, I have come to the conclusion that I'll pass on this Queensland delicacy. (cue vomiting smilie again!)
Sounds OK apart from the crappy sauce ... I'd insist in bring my own Heinz
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:30 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

a battered sausage on a stick covered in tomato sauce.
That's what we call a Hotdog in NZ. Delish as long as you have a decent sausage to start with! And a hotdog in a bun is called an American Hotdog.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:55 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I can't enlighten you unfortunately but apparently it's one of those Queensland experiences ... My God, it's one these (see attached) ...

No children were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Well, no children of MINE anyway
The battered saveloy on a stick is called a "Pluto Pup" up here in Gimp Eye I thought it was an Aussie wide name must be a local thing
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Round where we live they do have battered sausages in all the local fish and chip shops these days and my duaghter does cover them in ketchup but it is very rare she is allowed to have them and it is a treat if she does. Battered sausages are nice though
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather give my kids fairy bread than a manky saveloy made from pigs ears and snouts any day
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Forgot to add, we do have proper sausages in the chippy's too
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:31 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree, I made a lovely pasta bake last night with fresh toms, olives, courgette and fresh herbs. Yummy.
Ooooo NB that sounds lovely - do you have a recipe??
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:31 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
Forgot to add, we do have proper sausages in the chippy's too
Yuck -who'd want a proper sausage
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:32 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Ooooo NB that sounds lovely - do you have a recipe??
Ask her for her lemon meringue pie recipe while your at it !
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:35 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a lot like an american corn dog... I have to say that the photo's I found on google images showed, what looked like raw meat inside.

EEEEEUUUUUUUWWWWW!!!! I'm shuddering at the thought... But it's not a bush tucker trial so I don't have to eat one!

Ali

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.