DIY Shipping

Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ntainer+simone

My shipping story (till now...)
With pics in there somewhere

It got there yesterday (hopefully).
Shipping company that end told me to call them when I'm over the jet lag.
They're also unloading it for us at our new house (when we get one )

I'll of course let you guys know how it went.

Dutch company, so know use.
Just ring shipping companies, sea freight transports whatever.

People that end are:
Transglobal Shipping & Storage
659 Dundas Road
Forrestfield
WA, 6058
8 9453 3111

We didn't chose them though, they are standard for the company we used here.

Ok, busy now!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Is it a considerable saving by doing it yourself.

If so by how much?????
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JJL,
We're currently looking into it. Once I know more, I'll post it up.
We're sharing a container with a mate from Portsmouth, we're both going to Perth about the same time. We've both had shippers in and believe that they have grossly overestimated how much cubic feet we need. So, we will be packing ourselves, loading ourselves etc. and sharing the other costs. I'm doing lots of research, to see if there are hidden costs (e.g. fumigation, storage costs during customs clearance etc). At the moment, it seems to be consideravly cheaper than the companies we were quoted. The firm we are looking at was also used by our mate's friend, so we have that personal recommendation.
The bottom line is that they will overestimate the cubic footage, they are a business after all.
We've also done lots of research on what boxes to use etc. and think we can do as good a job as the professionals!
I'll keep you all posted, meanwhile try and find someone to share a container with!
Larissa
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:09 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi JJL,
We're currently looking into it. Once I know more, I'll post it up.
We're sharing a container with a mate from Portsmouth, we're both going to Perth about the same time. We've both had shippers in and believe that they have grossly overestimated how much cubic feet we need. So, we will be packing ourselves, loading ourselves etc. and sharing the other costs. I'm doing lots of research, to see if there are hidden costs (e.g. fumigation, storage costs during customs clearance etc). At the moment, it seems to be consideravly cheaper than the companies we were quoted. The firm we are looking at was also used by our mate's friend, so we have that personal recommendation.
The bottom line is that they will overestimate the cubic footage, they are a business after all.
We've also done lots of research on what boxes to use etc. and think we can do as good a job as the professionals!
I'll keep you all posted, meanwhile try and find someone to share a container with!
Larissa
MMMMMMmmmmm

Good luck

PJ
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[.
larissa quote'''''
Why would they do this Larrissa, ?? if it does not fit in a 20ft container, and you have a CONTRACT< signed by the contractor, the excess must be carried at there cost.................. MM
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

But they are taking the mick... we've put a lot of ours into storage, it's not even 5 cubic foot... so we are pretty sure it will be 10 at the most...so why have they both estimated 20ft? Answer = Greed!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi Larissa

We are just about to sort out costs this end etc as ship due to arrive on 26th so will have alot better idea of whats involved soon and can let you know more, we've definately saved heaps by doing it ourselves.

Hope all is going ok

Teresa
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Theresa
If you get a chance, could you let us know a bit more about the detail involved.
Cheers!
Larissa

To anyone interested...
I've got a quote from Auto-marine shipping company (tel . 02083572284 if anyone interested, speak to Barrie & ask if Larissa and Sandra can have a discount for referring you lol)
for £1,509.00 which covers container hire, deliver to address for loading (loading ourselves), 3 hours loading time, UK customs forms, getting it to Soton port etc. This is all the stuff covered until it gets to Aus.
Interestingly, they don't charge for fumigation this end, since AQIS often do it anyway... so many of you will be charged for fumigation twice!
The containers are just used for domestic stuff, so no need to worry about them stinking of meat etc.
Next step is to get a clearing agent (can anyone give any tips / recommendations) to receive our stuff in Aus.
We need to pay 30% deposit before when we book, a week to 10 days before we want the container to arrive.
We will be charged for fumigation etc. by AQIS, can't tell how much that will be yet.
Mind boggling

Larissa
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:51 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Theresa
If you get a chance, could you let us know a bit more about the detail involved.
Cheers!
Larissa

To anyone interested...
I've got a quote from Auto-marine shipping company (tel . 02083572284 if anyone interested, speak to Barrie & ask if Larissa and Sandra can have a discount for referring you lol)
for £1,509.00 which covers container hire, deliver to address for loading (loading ourselves), 3 hours loading time, UK customs forms, getting it to Soton port etc. This is all the stuff covered until it gets to Aus.
Interestingly, they don't charge for fumigation this end, since AQIS often do it anyway... so many of you will be charged for fumigation twice!
The containers are just used for domestic stuff, so no need to worry about them stinking of meat etc.
Next step is to get a clearing agent (can anyone give any tips / recommendations) to receive our stuff in Aus.
We need to pay 30% deposit before when we book, a week to 10 days before we want the container to arrive.
We will be charged for fumigation etc. by AQIS, can't tell how much that will be yet.
Mind boggling

Larissa

None of the shippers etc that we have spoken to/had quotes from, carry out fumigation etc this end.
Aslong as you fill out the AQIS forms, Customs forms and the manifest correctly, it is unlikely that your stuff will require fumigation in Australia. Unless you are taking any restricted/controlled items, which frankly you are better off leaving behind.
If AQIS do fumigate they usually will do your entire container, if it is individual items the charge is around AUD$50-100.

Be aware that you will need to mark up all your boxes/packages so that they tie up with customs clearance forms (AUS) and your manifest.

Regarding agents, Mr Mover may be able to help?

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Theresa
Cheers!
Larissa

To anyone interested...
Mind boggling

Larissa
Larissa

Three hours doesn't seem very long to load. Do they leave the boxes well before hand and will they leave the container longer?

I can't imagine that even if everything was already boxed up - even beds and sofas etc - that we could load it all in three hours
:scared: but DIY is the way we want to go.

Any info gratefully received.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Moneypen
Due to our situation (we have already boxed most & Sandra has to move out into rented accomodation) we will be loading all packed and dismantled stuff from storage. We will try and get friends to help, but they might be working! If you go over 3 hours, I think it's something like £30 / 35 per hour (or part of) for additional time. You can also pay the driver to help out.
It's not a lot more to pay in the grand scheme of things.
We bought boxes off the internet - we have been gradually sorting and packing, compiling lists etc. for the past month or so.
Make sure you get double walled export quality boxes, single ones aren't strong enough.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We are now almost `completely boxed` up now and have arranged and paid for storage. We have started to `move things out of the house and it is finally taking some sort of order.
Anyone any ideas as to who we can use to clear at the other end?
Old May 17th 2005, 3:43 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Shipping

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Theresa
Cheers!
Larissa

To anyone interested...
Mind boggling

Larissa
hi larissa top thread!! just spoke to barrie TOP BLOKE he`s sending me out a pack so we can get the ball rolling.
Old May 18th 2005, 8:57 am
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Theresa
Cheers!
Larissa

To anyone interested...
Mind boggling

Larissa
Larissa

We have just done a DIY job at a similar cost , all went very smooth and we only managed to get two layers packed tightly in a 20Ft container, bear in mind they put you on the clock (3hrs) as soon as it arrives at your door, anything over is charged at £30 an hour !!..... our container arrives first week in June depending on weather etc.. ( we fly out this Saturday ).

As for the other side !!!! more cost... i'm afraid ( see below )

Freightnet International
12 Hutcheson Street
Albion
Queensland 4010

PH: 0061 7 38622477
FX: 0061 7 38622833

Customs Clearance Fee A$ 195.00
Shipping Line Fees A$389.85
Delivery Order Fee A$50.00
Cargo Automation Fee A$22.50
Customs Re-Engineering Fee A$15.00
Quarantine Entry Fee A$ 45.00
Quarantine Fee A$395 .00 (based on 2hrs , additional A$80.00 per 1/2 hour there after)
Attendance Fee A$150 .00 (based on 3 hrs. additional A$45.00 per hour there after)
Unpack Fee A$1050 .00
Depot Fees for AQIS Inspection A$65.00
Storage A$11.00 per cbm per day ( first 3 days after unpack free)

I think i worked it out to around £1000 :scared: ( it was a few weeks ago when i totted it up) it's a right rip off if you ask me, but they have you by the short and curlies unfortunately.

If anyone knows of a cheaper option ... let me know, QUICK !!!
Old May 18th 2005, 9:43 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We did DIY too

Our costs this end were 1900$ AU

500$ unpacking fee (instead of your $1050 but they got me elsewhere!)
2 lots of 'moving' fees $280 in the dock and $330 to deliver to my house.

AQIS didnt fumigate.

Ive already posted this on another thread but ...

- photocopy your passport every page and bring it with you (or do it here at post-office/woolies etc), AQIS may request it (they did for us).

- Your stuff get sunpacked, put on the floor, moved around, etc at hte docks ,so pack it really well ,expect it to be thrown around like airline baggage. None of our stuff broke.

Looks like 1900$/£1000 is the norm for costs this-side. Still @ 1500£ + 1000 its 800 £ cheaper than paying the removal company .

And dont pay for fumigation - they wont give a hoot this end. They'll go ahead and do it if they feel its needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.