Divers - Advise

Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:22 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough
Default Divers - Advise

Hey guys...

I've had a browse online and getting mixed results. Wife and I are new but keen divers and are moving from Scotland to Brisbane next year. We are both PADI Advanced and are aiming to do out Rescue Diver as soon as we get over.

Can anyone tell be if I'm worth purchasing kit in the UK or waiting till we land in Brisbane. I'm struggling to compare the prices from what I've seen, so not quite sure if there is enough of a price difference to make a saving either way. We'd be looking to buy jackets, regs, accessories and obiviously waiting till we're in Brisbane before purchasing cylinders. I'm looking to get a wing and the wife is eyeing up a Mares jacket.

Any advise as always...greatly appreciated!

P.s Wife just got her IELTS results back yesterday with a score of 9, therefore visa will be getting submitted as we speak....
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:33 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divers - Advise

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Hey guys...

I've had a browse online and getting mixed results. Wife and I are new but keen divers and are moving from Scotland to Brisbane next year. We are both PADI Advanced and are aiming to do out Rescue Diver as soon as we get over.

Can anyone tell be if I'm worth purchasing kit in the UK or waiting till we land in Brisbane. I'm struggling to compare the prices from what I've seen, so not quite sure if there is enough of a price difference to make a saving either way. We'd be looking to buy jackets, regs, accessories and obiviously waiting till we're in Brisbane before purchasing cylinders. I'm looking to get a wing and the wife is eyeing up a Mares jacket.

P.s Wife just got her IELTS results back yesterday with a score of 9, therefore visa will be getting submitted as we speak....
I've found dive kit is way cheaper in the UK. I need a new BC and am getting it from the UK (about a third cheaper for the BC I want).

Congrats on the visa
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.divegearaustralia.com.au/index.html

http://www.diverssupplies.com.au/

Good luck with your visa
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Buy your stuff in the UK. It's very overpriced here for much of the kit and you have a much better selection there.

www.simplyscuba.co.uk has some great prices and huge range.

Just remember you are buying for relatively warmer waters. I'm happy with a 5mm wetsuit in summer. I don't dive in winter and if I did then I would be dry suiting which reminds me too much of spending hours on the bottom of the English channel or quarry, so I don't
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Divers - Advise

Buy stuff in the UK based on price, but do make sure it is a recognized widely-available make in Australia. I have two friends here who have had to sell all their UK-bought dive gear as the cost of getting "unknown brands" serviced was ridiculously prohibitive.

Buy your tank here as it needs an Australian standards stamp to be legal.

BB
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:11 am

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the good advise guys, we'll get our kit before we go. We're both looking to get Apeks regs, would I be right in says I shouldn't have any issues getting them serviced in the Brisbane area? I noticed not many shops stock them.

Someone also mentioned that there is a good dive club as apart of the college/uni in Brisbane. We're looking to start diving as soon as we get over and joining a club will help us make new friends and take the hassle out of learning where the dive sites are etc. Has anyone got any experience of dive clubs in and around this area?

Last edited by Dave.McLeod; Oct 29th 2010 at 7:13 am. Reason: grammer
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:30 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys...

buy your gear in the uk mate
(edit except your tanks they wont fill them here as they dont recognise uk test tags )

but when you get here check out the goldcoast for diving
http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/

regards steve ( padi DM )

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 29th 2010 at 8:35 am.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the good advise guys, we'll get our kit before we go. We're both looking to get Apeks regs, would I be right in says I shouldn't have any issues getting them serviced in the Brisbane area? I noticed not many shops stock them.
Popular reg, you won't have issues. I managed to pick up a Apeks XTX200 Regulator with XTX40 Octopus for $649 AUD from here a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.diveimportsaustralia.com.au

Looks like they've gone up to $749 - still a good deal.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

apeks regs are common enough here although generally thought of as more techie. You shouldn't find to much trouble getting your regs serviced here if you bother (we haven't for many years).

As others have said bring everything except tanks as dive kit here is really expensive (we generally import all our kit now from the US or UK).

With regard to clubs Brisbane have a BSAC club called BeeSAC who are fairly active divers. Otherwise here most shops have dive clubs.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

Can you service Atomic regs ok out there ? I'm a Padi Dm and am moving to the GC next year can't wait
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by renth
Popular reg, you won't have issues. I managed to pick up a Apeks XTX200 Regulator with XTX40 Octopus for $649 AUD from here a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.diveimportsaustralia.com.au

Looks like they've gone up to $749 - still a good deal.
Thats a really good deal on those regs...cheapest I can find in the UK were £579 I think. Will have to keep an eye on that site.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

Buy dive gear in UK have all your old gear serviced before you come computers are expensive here more so if you are buying with the £ buy some on ebay and sell them when you get here. UK Bottles will not be filled end of story. If you have any life jackets dont bother bringing them they are illegal as you will drown in one that does not have an aussie stamp on it. BCs are ok.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Divers - Advise

Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
Buy dive gear in UK have all your old gear serviced before you come computers are expensive here more so if you are buying with the £ buy some on ebay and sell them when you get here. UK Bottles will not be filled end of story. If you have any life jackets dont bother bringing them they are illegal as you will drown in one that does not have an aussie stamp on it. BCs are ok.
Paul from Poole eh?

Did much of my dive training on the Kyarra wreck off Swanage via a dive boat out of Poole Harbour.

BB
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
Can you service Atomic regs ok out there ? I'm a Padi Dm and am moving to the GC next year can't wait
Yes you can, but there are not that common here.