Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A disturbing realisation.....

A disturbing realisation.....

Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A disturbing realisation.....

Originally Posted by haggis supper
From time to time have a look at www.skynews.com to see what a state the UK is in. Rape, murder, terrorism, taxation, chavs, fare increases, crime, over crowding etc etc etc. It helps remind me why I am here.

Sorry but HAVE to point out NOT ALL OF THE UK IS LIKE THAT. Very nice where I live, although weather could be better! Pity some people only ever experience the south of england, as it's better up North!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sorry but HAVE to point out NOT ALL OF THE UK IS LIKE THAT. Very nice where I live, although weather could be better! Pity some people only ever experience the south of england, as it's better up North!!!!

fair play to u....do you have many shops in north yorks where none of the assistants dont even speak english ?? you know one of those pre-requisites for going to a country ?
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A disturbing realisation.....

Quite a lot of the South is rather nice too.........

There's some lovely parts of Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire for instance.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaval
fair play to u....do you have many shops in north yorks where none of the assistants dont even speak english ?? you know one of those pre-requisites for going to a country ?

No I've not noticed any none English speaking assistants in my local shops, well apart from local curry house where one or two struggle with more than basic greeting.
I live in a small town, that has very good services library, leisure centre etc. Surrounded by beautiful countryside and lots of historic places within a short drive.
Seems it must be Utopia compared to all the negativity that other areas of the UK appear to be according to lots of folk on here!! Or maybe I appreciate what I have??? Who knows....but I'm sure I'll be just as if not more contented when in Australia
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Quite a lot of the South is rather nice too.........

There's some lovely parts of Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire for instance.

Cheers

Buzzy
I thought some areas of Hampshire were great when I visited some years ago!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A disturbing realisation.....

I thought some areas of Hampshire were great when I visited some years ago!!
Yes, and Harrogate bain't be too dowdy either!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to find shops and restaurants where the staff don't speak English then look no further than the ethnic communities of Australia's cities!! Not seen the signs in 8 languages in Melbourne hospitals? Or the translation services available from virtually every government organisation from the tax office to the driving licence test centres?

Cripes, you might think speaking English is a pre-requisite to getting to Oz but it just isn't so - you can bring in family members with little or no command of English at all!!

Last edited by HiddenPaw; Jan 6th 2006 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
If you want to find shops and restaurants where the staff don't speak English then look no further than the ethnic communities of Australia's cities!! Not seen the signs in 8 languages in Melbourne hospitals? Or the translation services available from virtually every government organisation from the tax office to the driving licence test centres?

Cripes, you might think speaking English is a pre-requisite to getting to Oz but it just isn't so - you can bring in family members with little or no command of English at all!!

On the speaking English part, Hiddenpaw is 100 pct correct about here. In fact last week on Melbourne Radio station 3AW, it was reported over the Xmas roster in an outer easter hospital of Melbourne. That there were no English speaking doctors on Call.

In fact it got so bad, That at one stage in A&E, The female doctor couldn't make herself understood and had to repeat herself about 5 times to try and get the next patient to come in. Eventually she said baby, there were 3 babies in the waiting room, still no response. It was only when she said Baby boy, and there only being one boy waiting that the message got through. Also at the same time, one of the patients was so frustrated at trying to make herself understood, that she became hysterical and had a panic attack.

That kind of situation doesn't disturb me too much, as I've never encountered it at the central hospitals of Melbourne, that we are more likely to frequent.

Back to this thread, Many thanks for your responses, My wife has read them, and this stage I'm Vetoed with a capitol V. To do with Major Issues she has with our two younger children, 7 and 11, (almost 8 and 12) Basically she thinks we could end up with a badly fragmented family, which is probably correct, Ive got to admit. I tried to get her to raise the issues on here, she hates chat type activities on the computer, and doesn't enjoy being in front of a computer screen.

She had some real negative things to say about her perceived experiences, on recent visit in relation to our kids in the UK. I could go on about her views, but they would probably offend some people. I think the most pertinent words, she used were "aggressive and competitive". Personally I think kids are the quickest of all to adjust, Still on the children issue the Status quo is probably the safest option.

What this means is, unless she has a change of heart, which I won't be pushing her for. I probably won't be able to realise my ideal of retiring to both countries.

Such is life.

Thanks again all for your input.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 6th 2006 at 7:35 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

You tell me whats left here ? A service industry with not much else...take your time in deciding what you want to do.

Cheers

C
So what?

That service industry with not much else manages to make the UK the 4th (or 6th depending on your source) biggest economy in the world (with the 22nd biggest population) with one of the wealthiest per capita incomes.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of great villages in the Uk ,south and north, the best are very expensive - quite a bit more expensive than even the next best down. But the next best down - there's quite a gap.

I look on estate agents sites in the UK to look for a 3/4 established bed detached house in a village. Big price hike than anything else.

BTW, I know how obsessed Brits are with detached or not, for me its the land size for lifestyle variety, not for status.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 7th 2006 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
There are loads of great villages in the Uk ,south and north, the best are very expensive - quite a bit more expensive than even the next best down. But the next best down - there's quite a gap.

I look on estate agents sites in the UK to look for a 3/4 established bed detached house in a village. Big price hike than anything else.

BTW, I know how obsessed Brits are with detached or not, for me its the land size for lifestyle variety, not for status.
What would be your favourite area and Estate agents ? I might build up a few links and run erm past the wife, when she is feeling more receptive.

I must say I really appreciated everyones input on this thread, both for and against, It gave me a hell of a lot to think about. I couldn't beleive it when my wife started to agree with all the anti MK brigade lol.

I must have strong chav like tendancies hehe.

Softly Softly is my approach at home now.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What would be your favourite area and Estate agents ? I might build up a few links and run erm past the wife, when she is feeling more receptive.

I must say I really appreciated everyones input on this thread, both for and against, It gave me a hell of a lot to think about. I couldn't beleive it when my wife started to agree with all the anti MK brigade lol.

I must have strong chav like tendancies hehe.

Softly Softly is my approach at home now.
Peak District gets my vote followed by Shropshire, Devon, Somerset and Suffolk.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:17 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Too right!

Right again - take a butcher's at this:
  • Regulated fares, which cover season tickets and saver tickets, are going up by an average of 3.9%.

Unregulated fares, including cheap day returns, are rising by an average of 4.5% - but by 8.8% on one line.

The rail companies say they need the extra money for investment but passenger groups and unions say some of the higher fares are "eye-watering".

Source.

:scared:

Don't tell me you still haven't booked your ticket home...
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Peak District gets my vote followed by Shropshire
And mine

G
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:00 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think the most pertinent words, she used were "aggressive and competitive".

What this means is, unless she has a change of heart, which I won't be pushing her for. I probably won't be able to realise my ideal of retiring to both countries.
Your wife is very perceptive and astute ozzie

Good luck with whatever you decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.