Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A disturbing realisation.....

A disturbing realisation.....

Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default A disturbing realisation.....

I've been in Aussie now for 25 years, Have a fully established Aussie family etc, 3 kids about 85pct equity in my house, Holiday caravan, relatively well paid jobs two good super schemes, I feel from an Aussie point of view we are travelling quite well. Dont get me wrong I do love it here, especially the freedom to be ourselves, and the equality of the place.

When I first joined Bexpats over a year ago, I poo pooed the idea that food and other things could be cheaper in England, and in fact I had a right go as my first post at someone who (in my defence) quoted some terribly low wages out of Perth. Seems I was well wrong on prices, however wages are generally only slightly different, with some large anomalies either way..

Looking at things from our own personal perspective, Could it be that we could be a heap better off "Financially" possibly to the tune of 50pct in disposable income, which would mostly go towards retirement. Especially as we wind down into the last 15 years of our working lives by moving temporaily (10 years'ish) back to the UK.

Assuming that I could get a job, on the same wage in Blighty, the wife would almost certainly earn more, plus it seems we would get a 40pct Mortgage rebate in MK for Keyworkers, as the wife is a nurse, Take into account free health care, which as one gets older would obviously be a probable factor.

From A "financial" perspective, If I sold my house, bought a small investment/retirement type property here, rented it out to self fund. Left our roll over proportion of super to bubble away. Take the substantial remainder to set up again in the UK and went for the financial carrots that the UK seems to offer our particular circumstance. Would I really be a lot better off.

I've got a nasty sneaking suspicion that the answer is yes, and by a long way, or maybe I'm crunching the numbers wrong. I cannot beleive the answers that I'm coming up with. Thats why I've posted the above.

Am I Robinson Crusoe here, is my question for people that have been in Aussie for a considerable period.

Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A disturbing realisation.....

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've been in Aussie now for 25 years, Have a fully established Aussie family etc, 3 kids about 85pct equity in my house, Holiday caravan, relatively well paid jobs two good super schemes, I feel from an Aussie point of view we are travelling quite well. Dont get me wrong I do love it here, especially the freedom to be ourselves, and the equality of the place.

When I first joined Bexpats over a year ago, I poo pooed the idea that food and other things could be cheaper in England, and in fact I had a right go as my first post at someone who (in my defence) quoted some terribly low wages out of Perth. Seems I was well wrong on prices, however wages are generally only slightly different, with some large anomalies either way..

Looking at things from our own personal perspective, Could it be that we could be a heap better off "Financially" possibly to the tune of 50pct in disposable income, which would mostly go towards retirement. Especially as we wind down into the last 15 years of our working lives by moving temporaily (10 years'ish) back to the UK.

Assuming that I could get a job, on the same wage in Blighty, the wife would almost certainly earn more, plus it seems we would get a 40pct Mortgage rebate in MK for Keyworkers, as the wife is a nurse, Take into account free health care, which as one gets older would obviously be a probable factor.

From A "financial" perspective, If I sold my house, bought a small investment/retirement type property here, rented it out to self fund. Left our roll over proportion of super to bubble away. Take the substantial remainder to set up again in the UK and went for the financial carrots that the UK seems to offer our particular circumstance. Would I really be a lot better off.

I've got a nasty sneaking suspicion that the answer is yes, and by a long way, or maybe I'm crunching the numbers wrong. I cannot beleive the answers that I'm coming up with. Thats why I've posted the above.

Am I Robinson Crusoe here, is my question for people that have been in Aussie for a considerable period.

Could you afford to buy even with the mortgage rebate and would it be in an area that you would want to live?
It is the housing that kills us financially in the UK.
Nicky
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been in Oz for 4 months and as Mrs Haggis does most of the shopping I'm not entirely sure what the costs are like. Generally though the costs here are certainly more than I expected - though some things are cheaper and some things are more expensive.

However, what is clear is that I will not be retiring at 50 as I had hoped. I'm certainly no better off, indeed probably worse off financially by being here. That said, after dealing with the commute, crime, grind and weather in the UK I would need to retire at 50 but life here is so much easier and better. I could cope with a few more years working and saving to enjoy this quality of life.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest myths is that Australia has lower cost of living. This a complete fallacy. Cost of living here is the same as the UK. Some thoughts on your post:

Houses are still expensive (overpriced) in the UK, even with 40% rebate. Also if the government changes, rebate could be kicked out.
Generally these 'key worker' houses are little boxes on overcrowded 'Barrett' style developments. One is being built near to where we lived in Surrey & it looks terrible.
Tax is higher in Australia, but it is slowly coming down whilst in the UK tax is rising & will continue to rise when Brown is prime minister.
Could you cope with the weather, rat race lifestyle & chav yobbos.
Nurses earn sh*t salaries in the UK unless they are very senior.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 5th 2006 at 1:39 am. Reason: Some thing to add
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the biggest myths is that Australia has lower cost of living. This a complete fallacy. Cost of living here is the same as the UK. Some thoughts on your post:

Houses are still expensive (overpriced) in the UK, even with 40% rebate. Also if the government changes, rebate could be kicked out.
Tax is higher in Australia, but it is slowly coming down whilst in the UK tax is rising & will continue to rise when Brown is prime minister.
Could you cope with the weather, rat race lifestyle & chav yobbos.
Nurses earn sh*t salaries in the UK unless they are very senior.

Thanks guys, My house here in Coburg is worth well over 400,000 Aud, The Key Area Subsidy I would looking at Would be Milton Keynes. I assume the Subsidy applies to the new areas about to be built, could be wrong on that one. Looking at the realestate agents in MK, Looks like you can get a pretty good house for 230,000 pounds, My guess is after setup we would be looking at a Mortgage of circa 80,000, maybe 100,000 GBP (depending on what we could leave in Aussie) and that mortgage would be 40pct rebated, so I could look at more expensive houses. I've got to investigate this further.

That last sentence of yours, made me sit up and take note though Amazulu that could be the crucial factor. My wife is not that senior.

There maybe others, in a similar circumstance here, I bet there are plenty throughout aussie, that don't read these boards.

I'm actually trying to talk myself out of thinking this way, it's like an annoying bad itch.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 5th 2006 at 1:56 am.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, My house here in Coburg is worth well over 400,000 Aud, The Key Area Subsidy I would looking at Would be Milton Keynes. I assume the Subsidy applies to the new areas about to be built, could be wrong on that one. Looking at the realestate agents in MK, Looks like you can get a pretty good house for 230,000 pounds, My guess is after setup we would be looking at a Mortgage of circa 80,000, maybe 100,000 (depending on what we could leave in Aussie) and that mortgage would be 40pct rebated, so I could look at more expensive houses. I've got to investigate this further.

That last sentence of yours, made me sit up and take note though Amazulu that could be the crucial factor. My wife is not that senior.

There maybe others, in a similar circumstance here, I bet there are plenty throughout aussie, that don't read these boards.

I'm actually trying to talk myself out of thinking this way, it's like an annoying bad itch.

From time to time have a look at www.skynews.com to see what a state the UK is in. Rape, murder, terrorism, taxation, chavs, fare increases, crime, over crowding etc etc etc. It helps remind me why I am here.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, My house here in Coburg is worth well over 400,000 Aud, The Key Area Subsidy I would looking at Would be Milton Keynes. I assume the Subsidy applies to the new areas about to be built, could be wrong on that one. Looking at the realestate agents in MK, Looks like you can get a pretty good house for 230,000 pounds, My guess is after setup we would be looking at a Mortgage of circa 80,000, maybe 100,000 (depending on what we could leave in Aussie) and that mortgage would be 40pct rebated, so I could look at more expensive houses. I've got to investigate this further.

it's good that you are taking a calculated approach to this. Most people when they decide on a country only look at the very good or very bad things like sunshine or crime.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by haggis supper
From time to time have a look at www.skynews.com to see what a state the UK is in. Rape, murder, terrorism, taxation, chavs, fare increases, crime, over crowding etc etc etc. It helps remind me why I am here.
And Skynews has always been such a great source of information.

Take a look at another site. http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/Crime

If you look at crimes such as murder or rape, Australia is actually higher than the UK.

Last edited by dshole; Jan 5th 2006 at 2:29 am.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dshole

If you look at crimes such as murder or rape, Australia is actually higher than the UK.
Not really interested in statistics and it's not the impression that I get here. I feel safer here and less aware of the crime and idiots/chavs.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Not really interested in statistics and it's not the impression that I get here. I feel safer here and less aware of the crime and idiots/chavs.
Well of course anything can be proven with statistics. But then any kind of political agenda can be put across by the news.

I agree, Aus does feel very safe in places and thankfully; chavs are not to ocommon. They are replaced by Holden driving wankers and those tossers on the corner of Russell/Bourke streets.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just what is a "chav"?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:52 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I fully intend to work back in Europe for at least a few years in the next ten - I work in IT/Finance and I know for us and our circumstances the income and cost of living here for us has set us back much further than we would have been by staying in the UK.

Yes we moved for other reasons but I still want to be able to live after 50+ and our retirement here will be at a higher level after some fuel injection from a European income for five years.

Again you have to look at the individual circumstances and what might be true for us will not apply to all. Plus I personally would love a few years being back in the hub of Europe for a while.

Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Well of course anything can be proven with statistics. But then any kind of political agenda can be put across by the news.

I agree, Aus does feel very safe in places and thankfully; chavs are not to ocommon. They are replaced by Holden driving wankers and those tossers on the corner of Russell/Bourke streets.
what tossers on the corner of Russell/Bourke? I work in Collins street on the corner of Russell (could it be the traffic wardens )
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

The bizarre thing is that I find the aussies a much more relaxed and friendly bunch of people. However get them in a car and all manners disappear - no courtesy or appreciation at all. Yet have never seen any sign of road rage at all which was common place in the UK.

Aus is certainly not the crime free nirvana that many imagine it to be. Perhaps the smaller population and bigger country means it is less obvious.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:02 am
ABCDiamond

These figures do show Australia slightly higher than the UK.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap_vic
World position on rape victims
#5 Australia 1%
#6 United Kingdom 0.9%
DEFINITION: People victimized by sexual assault (as a % of the total population)

and Murder: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap
#43 Australia 0.0150324 per 1,000 people
#46 United Kingdom 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.